Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoes and orthotics

Posted by Carrie on 9/24/02 at 21:36 (096157)

Well I am pretty disgusted by the hard $300 dollars orthotics I got at this point. I just don't see how these will ever be a solution for me. I did want to share however that I got a great pair of Joseph Seibel shoes that are pretty darn cute for work and dressy business type slacks that I love. These were $12o bucks and so far they are worth every penny! I am extremely pleased with them. I ordered a pair of Mephisto boots for winter too. THere is a site that is doing closeouts and these $300 boots were marked down to $199 so not too bad, if they work out. THey have allot of them on sale now if anyone is interested I can repost the website. I cannot find any Mephisto here in Idaho Falls so I am taking my chances on them as far as size and fit. Hope they work out. In the meantime what should I do about the nasty hard orthotics? i cannot believe I got tricked into believeing my pod that these would help me. I have done an hour a day and increased slowly but they suck, that is all there is too it, I don't forsee it getting much better. I want to know why these Drs think that this hard thing is a solution since most of what I read no one does well with them. Is there another type of orthotic that is worth getting? Something softer maybe? Seems I do better with a bit of cushion on my heels.

Well any input on orthotics would be appreciated. He told me he would get me soft ones if these didn't work, and I feel that is my only other option at this point.

Please let me know if you have thoughts on these orthotics and meanwhile the Joseph Seibel shoes are great!

hugs
Carrie

Re: Shoes and orthotics

Janet F on 9/25/02 at 12:13 (096201)

Carrie,

Thanks for the recommendation on Seibel shoes.

I will be going for a 2nd opinion re: heel pain (now turning into ankle, leg and foot pain!) on Friday and have been waiting for a diagnosis.

First POD said heel spur, let me give you a shot of cortisone, which I refused. From my reading on this site it seems that PF goes along with heel spurs. Anyway, I hope once I get the real diagnosis I will be better prepared to buy the right shoes. Right now I am wearing New Balance 775's but the don't look too fashionable!

I have hard orthotics from years ago and when this pain start occurring I tried them in my NB's but they hurt like hell. I don't know why anyone would think that something so hard, they are white hard plastic, would give any kind of relief.

Hope you work out your problems with the inserts and hope the boots are comfortable.

Sandra G on 9/25/02 at 12:57 (096203)

I also wear Josef Seibel shoes to work and they feel pretty good. As far as the orthotics, I wore the rigid ones for a few months earlier this year. They were of limited value. I now wear Dr. Kiper's silicone dynamic orhotics, and I feel well on my way to recovery from PF. I no longer see a local podiatrist, as I get more attention and better advice from Dr. Kiper and this board.

Shirley W on 9/25/02 at 21:06 (096237)

I share your frustration and anger. I have been casted 2x now for the black hard orthotics. The first ones for some reason had no arch in them at all, and I have high arches. The POD recast me, sent the old ones in and the new one came back and looked like a 3 yr old made them. There is about a 1/2' difference between one and the other in the arch area. I am headed back for an appt tomorrow -- maybe ther 3rd time is the charm, I can only hope. If this time doesn't work, they are going in the trash, which hurts cause I don't throw away $350 bucks very often, in fact not at all, which is why I am giving him another shot at it. An so the search goes on.....
I wear Mephisto sandals constantly when not at work, and I love them! but will be looking for something more appropriate for winter soon. I may look at the JS shoes. Do you stand on your feet a lot in them? I am glad they are comfortable for you, and thanks for the info.

Janet F on 9/26/02 at 07:24 (096254)

Dear Sandra,

Are the Dr. Kiper orthotics for sale on this site? Why style Seibel shoes are you wearing. I have looked on line at Seibel, Mephisto and Birks. There are many different styles and I don't really have any idea which ones to try. I live in Philadelphia and I suppose there is a shoe store that stocks this shoes. I will have to do some investigating.

Re: Amen to that

Carmen H on 9/26/02 at 12:28 (096271)

The SDO's are VERY comfortable and AMEN to getting more attention from Dr. Kiper than any Pod. He's great!
Glad to ee someone else is getting better from their use.
Waht stretches do you do and how long have you had this?

Carrie on 9/27/02 at 06:03 (096300)

I have a mostly sit down job thank good ness! but I have found major improvement in the last few days with the JS shoes and to think I could have bought 3 pair for what these dreadful orthotics cost ! ARG!

Anyhow I am happy with them, they look great with my work style clothes which are office casual stuff, but even with jeans they would work, probably not with dresses though! I am awaiting quite anxiously my Mephisto shoes and when they get here and I try them on I will give an update. I also got an E Stim machine the highest tech one made, to give myself three treatments a day at home, this is exciting, and feels good. You just place the sticky pads on the pain spots and shock away, it tingles and really is supposed to cure pain. If my ins will approve it then it will be one more weapon in fight against PF and if they don't I can use it for 90 days at $40 a month, so not too bad. I am not sure which style the JS shoes are but they have a velcro strap and look allot like a little boot. They had tons of them and they all would have worked but I liked the support in these the best. I suggest going out and trying some on to see how they feel.

best of luck
Carrie

jonna p on 9/27/02 at 08:22 (096313)

I went the hard ortho route and also was disappointed. My pf is tolerable now and all I do is carefully select the shoes I wear. Sounds like you are on the right track. I like Mephisto (Mobile line), Romika and am going to try a pair of Josepf Seibel also. Tried Born- not enough support. Clarks ok for light duty. I can even (gasp) go barefoot to the bathroom.

Carrie on 9/27/02 at 08:34 (096316)

You brought up a really good point that I have been meaning to make. First of all what is the danger of going barefoot? I am curious, since everyone here says it is a total no no, yet not one Dr I have spoken to ever told me not to go barefoot at least not like around the house to the bathroom etc! What is the exact big deal about it? To be honest I don't find going to barefoot to the bathroom or to go across the room to hurt at all, in fact if I was honest going barefoot on my cushy carpet sometimes feels better than my stupid shoes. so what gives with this anyhow?

Hmm well, I try not to go barefoot, esp on hard floors, at the pool, showering etc, but still I am curious about it.

C

Carrie on 9/27/02 at 08:40 (096317)

Def worth investigating them if you can get them in town, me I am in Idaho where there are no Mephistos in the stores but I can get birks, Joseph Seibel and a few other high end ones. I wish I would have spent the $300 bucks on good shoes rather than stupid hard orthtotics! ARG!

Sandra G on 9/27/02 at 09:00 (096323)

I wear the Taylor style of the Josef Seibel shoes. As a school librarian, I do a lot of standing on hard, concrete floors. I am most comfortable in sneakers, but I can't bring myself to wear them to work. Librarians already have enough of an image problem. I have had PF since February and have tried many thing that didn't work, including physical therapy, heat, ice, one cortisone injection, ESWT, weight-bearing stretches, and rigid orthotics. Now I do nonweight-bearing stretches and they seem to help, particularly Julie's stretches. I also just ordered a pair of Foot Trainers and am hoping that they will help. Other things that have made a huge difference for me: losing 23 pounds, and Dr. Kiper's orthotics.

Re: Barefoot

Carmen H on 9/27/02 at 09:09 (096324)

Many (but not all) doctors won't tell you; to wear shoes all the time, won't tell you it could take years to get better without suggsting surgery, will tell you you DO NOT have text book PF (making you feel like an alien b/c you aren't better in a few weeks), won't tell you cortizone shots can make you worse...the list goes on and on. So basically you have to learn that one on your own just like most of the things that go with PF. EVERY time you step down in barefeet no matter whether it's soft carpet or hardwood floors or concrete you run the risk of injuring the already damaged and inflamed Fascia. Whether it hurts is not the 'telling factor' on if you should do it or not. Kind of like smoking...it most likely doesn't hurt to smoke..but if you're smart you know cigarettes kill.
Does that help? :o)

Carrie on 9/27/02 at 09:40 (096328)

Wow you have done so many things I am sorry nothing has been succesful. Even the ESWT treatments didn't work? that sucks! I am curious if you need to maybe have another treatment or what else you can do? I hope that I am not like you, but I feel sometimes I am heading there. Have you tried the E-Stimulator? That is what I am trying now, it is a little machine with pads that you stick on and it delivers a current to your injured area. I don't exactly know the ins and outs of it, but it worked on my back pain so it is worth a shot for sure!

Anyhow I am unable to wear sneakers they are bad for me and they hurt so much. It is the only time the orthotics feel ok, but only for a short time, then later I am usually in more pain it sucks.

I do stretching that my PT gave me, she is really good and a professional so I trust her guidance, however so far I have been most unimpressed with the pod I have seen.

hugs
Carrie

Carrie on 9/27/02 at 09:42 (096330)

Hmm I guess I have to say that if something does not hurt, how can you really know not to do it. I mean there are lots of things that I do that hurt and then ones that don't so again it seems hard to know what to do or not do if you cannot tell with the pain right? that is how it would seem to me anyhow. How frustrating is that?

I understand the reason behind wearing shoes but I still find it hard to understand how if you have no pain it can be bad for you. Oh well, life sucks sometimes.

thanks
C

Sandra G on 9/27/02 at 09:54 (096333)

I listed the things that did not work for me, but I also listed the things that ARE working. At this point, I am holding off on all treatments, and will continue to stretch, do nonweight-bearing exercises, wear my SDOs, and lose weight. I am confident that all those things will continue to help, as they have already.

Carmen H on 9/27/02 at 10:41 (096338)

I know..unfortunately some pains don't show up until a day or two later from somthing you did previously!
You work out so you know...have you ever done arms...and they didn't hurt that night but the next day you were wrecked!!!!

Jim C on 9/27/02 at 19:03 (096357)

Carrie,
I would assume that going barefoot is bad for PF because it exerts great pressure directly on the inflamed tissue(shoes give a little cushion) One time I was barefoot in the house and it started to rain, I huriedly walked to my car to roll up the windows and the third step I took on the hard pavement(argh), took me a week to heal back to where I was before that third step. Another instant, I was taking a shower (barefoot) and I was balancing on one foot to wash the other and lost my balance, I had to that little hop thing to catch myself, another(argh!), a major setback that took a month to get over. I have since learned that barefoot is bad for my PF. Besides the great direct pressure on a swollen facsia I would think the lack of arch support can't be helpful either. A big part of my improvement has been learning to avoid setbacks, other things I avoid are sqauting down on the balls of my feet(very simular to weight bearing streches), lifting anything I don't have to, standing with all my weight on one foot, all weight bearing stretches/exercise(unnecassary walking) From the voice of experience, always wear your shoes.

Jim

Janet F on 9/25/02 at 12:13 (096201)

Carrie,

Thanks for the recommendation on Seibel shoes.

I will be going for a 2nd opinion re: heel pain (now turning into ankle, leg and foot pain!) on Friday and have been waiting for a diagnosis.

First POD said heel spur, let me give you a shot of cortisone, which I refused. From my reading on this site it seems that PF goes along with heel spurs. Anyway, I hope once I get the real diagnosis I will be better prepared to buy the right shoes. Right now I am wearing New Balance 775's but the don't look too fashionable!

I have hard orthotics from years ago and when this pain start occurring I tried them in my NB's but they hurt like hell. I don't know why anyone would think that something so hard, they are white hard plastic, would give any kind of relief.

Hope you work out your problems with the inserts and hope the boots are comfortable.

Sandra G on 9/25/02 at 12:57 (096203)

I also wear Josef Seibel shoes to work and they feel pretty good. As far as the orthotics, I wore the rigid ones for a few months earlier this year. They were of limited value. I now wear Dr. Kiper's silicone dynamic orhotics, and I feel well on my way to recovery from PF. I no longer see a local podiatrist, as I get more attention and better advice from Dr. Kiper and this board.

Shirley W on 9/25/02 at 21:06 (096237)

I share your frustration and anger. I have been casted 2x now for the black hard orthotics. The first ones for some reason had no arch in them at all, and I have high arches. The POD recast me, sent the old ones in and the new one came back and looked like a 3 yr old made them. There is about a 1/2' difference between one and the other in the arch area. I am headed back for an appt tomorrow -- maybe ther 3rd time is the charm, I can only hope. If this time doesn't work, they are going in the trash, which hurts cause I don't throw away $350 bucks very often, in fact not at all, which is why I am giving him another shot at it. An so the search goes on.....
I wear Mephisto sandals constantly when not at work, and I love them! but will be looking for something more appropriate for winter soon. I may look at the JS shoes. Do you stand on your feet a lot in them? I am glad they are comfortable for you, and thanks for the info.

Janet F on 9/26/02 at 07:24 (096254)

Dear Sandra,

Are the Dr. Kiper orthotics for sale on this site? Why style Seibel shoes are you wearing. I have looked on line at Seibel, Mephisto and Birks. There are many different styles and I don't really have any idea which ones to try. I live in Philadelphia and I suppose there is a shoe store that stocks this shoes. I will have to do some investigating.

Carmen H on 9/26/02 at 12:28 (096271)

The SDO's are VERY comfortable and AMEN to getting more attention from Dr. Kiper than any Pod. He's great!
Glad to ee someone else is getting better from their use.
Waht stretches do you do and how long have you had this?

Carrie on 9/27/02 at 06:03 (096300)

I have a mostly sit down job thank good ness! but I have found major improvement in the last few days with the JS shoes and to think I could have bought 3 pair for what these dreadful orthotics cost ! ARG!

Anyhow I am happy with them, they look great with my work style clothes which are office casual stuff, but even with jeans they would work, probably not with dresses though! I am awaiting quite anxiously my Mephisto shoes and when they get here and I try them on I will give an update. I also got an E Stim machine the highest tech one made, to give myself three treatments a day at home, this is exciting, and feels good. You just place the sticky pads on the pain spots and shock away, it tingles and really is supposed to cure pain. If my ins will approve it then it will be one more weapon in fight against PF and if they don't I can use it for 90 days at $40 a month, so not too bad. I am not sure which style the JS shoes are but they have a velcro strap and look allot like a little boot. They had tons of them and they all would have worked but I liked the support in these the best. I suggest going out and trying some on to see how they feel.

best of luck
Carrie

jonna p on 9/27/02 at 08:22 (096313)

I went the hard ortho route and also was disappointed. My pf is tolerable now and all I do is carefully select the shoes I wear. Sounds like you are on the right track. I like Mephisto (Mobile line), Romika and am going to try a pair of Josepf Seibel also. Tried Born- not enough support. Clarks ok for light duty. I can even (gasp) go barefoot to the bathroom.

Carrie on 9/27/02 at 08:34 (096316)

You brought up a really good point that I have been meaning to make. First of all what is the danger of going barefoot? I am curious, since everyone here says it is a total no no, yet not one Dr I have spoken to ever told me not to go barefoot at least not like around the house to the bathroom etc! What is the exact big deal about it? To be honest I don't find going to barefoot to the bathroom or to go across the room to hurt at all, in fact if I was honest going barefoot on my cushy carpet sometimes feels better than my stupid shoes. so what gives with this anyhow?

Hmm well, I try not to go barefoot, esp on hard floors, at the pool, showering etc, but still I am curious about it.

C

Carrie on 9/27/02 at 08:40 (096317)

Def worth investigating them if you can get them in town, me I am in Idaho where there are no Mephistos in the stores but I can get birks, Joseph Seibel and a few other high end ones. I wish I would have spent the $300 bucks on good shoes rather than stupid hard orthtotics! ARG!

Sandra G on 9/27/02 at 09:00 (096323)

I wear the Taylor style of the Josef Seibel shoes. As a school librarian, I do a lot of standing on hard, concrete floors. I am most comfortable in sneakers, but I can't bring myself to wear them to work. Librarians already have enough of an image problem. I have had PF since February and have tried many thing that didn't work, including physical therapy, heat, ice, one cortisone injection, ESWT, weight-bearing stretches, and rigid orthotics. Now I do nonweight-bearing stretches and they seem to help, particularly Julie's stretches. I also just ordered a pair of Foot Trainers and am hoping that they will help. Other things that have made a huge difference for me: losing 23 pounds, and Dr. Kiper's orthotics.

Carmen H on 9/27/02 at 09:09 (096324)

Many (but not all) doctors won't tell you; to wear shoes all the time, won't tell you it could take years to get better without suggsting surgery, will tell you you DO NOT have text book PF (making you feel like an alien b/c you aren't better in a few weeks), won't tell you cortizone shots can make you worse...the list goes on and on. So basically you have to learn that one on your own just like most of the things that go with PF. EVERY time you step down in barefeet no matter whether it's soft carpet or hardwood floors or concrete you run the risk of injuring the already damaged and inflamed Fascia. Whether it hurts is not the 'telling factor' on if you should do it or not. Kind of like smoking...it most likely doesn't hurt to smoke..but if you're smart you know cigarettes kill.
Does that help? :o)

Carrie on 9/27/02 at 09:40 (096328)

Wow you have done so many things I am sorry nothing has been succesful. Even the ESWT treatments didn't work? that sucks! I am curious if you need to maybe have another treatment or what else you can do? I hope that I am not like you, but I feel sometimes I am heading there. Have you tried the E-Stimulator? That is what I am trying now, it is a little machine with pads that you stick on and it delivers a current to your injured area. I don't exactly know the ins and outs of it, but it worked on my back pain so it is worth a shot for sure!

Anyhow I am unable to wear sneakers they are bad for me and they hurt so much. It is the only time the orthotics feel ok, but only for a short time, then later I am usually in more pain it sucks.

I do stretching that my PT gave me, she is really good and a professional so I trust her guidance, however so far I have been most unimpressed with the pod I have seen.

hugs
Carrie

Carrie on 9/27/02 at 09:42 (096330)

Hmm I guess I have to say that if something does not hurt, how can you really know not to do it. I mean there are lots of things that I do that hurt and then ones that don't so again it seems hard to know what to do or not do if you cannot tell with the pain right? that is how it would seem to me anyhow. How frustrating is that?

I understand the reason behind wearing shoes but I still find it hard to understand how if you have no pain it can be bad for you. Oh well, life sucks sometimes.

thanks
C

Sandra G on 9/27/02 at 09:54 (096333)

I listed the things that did not work for me, but I also listed the things that ARE working. At this point, I am holding off on all treatments, and will continue to stretch, do nonweight-bearing exercises, wear my SDOs, and lose weight. I am confident that all those things will continue to help, as they have already.

Carmen H on 9/27/02 at 10:41 (096338)

I know..unfortunately some pains don't show up until a day or two later from somthing you did previously!
You work out so you know...have you ever done arms...and they didn't hurt that night but the next day you were wrecked!!!!

Jim C on 9/27/02 at 19:03 (096357)

Carrie,
I would assume that going barefoot is bad for PF because it exerts great pressure directly on the inflamed tissue(shoes give a little cushion) One time I was barefoot in the house and it started to rain, I huriedly walked to my car to roll up the windows and the third step I took on the hard pavement(argh), took me a week to heal back to where I was before that third step. Another instant, I was taking a shower (barefoot) and I was balancing on one foot to wash the other and lost my balance, I had to that little hop thing to catch myself, another(argh!), a major setback that took a month to get over. I have since learned that barefoot is bad for my PF. Besides the great direct pressure on a swollen facsia I would think the lack of arch support can't be helpful either. A big part of my improvement has been learning to avoid setbacks, other things I avoid are sqauting down on the balls of my feet(very simular to weight bearing streches), lifting anything I don't have to, standing with all my weight on one foot, all weight bearing stretches/exercise(unnecassary walking) From the voice of experience, always wear your shoes.

Jim