Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Most Experienced Podiatrist

Posted by Dave R on 9/24/02 at 22:32 (096158)

How would I go about locating the most experienced (highly regarded) podiatrist to treat my plantar fibroma? I'm located in the in the SW suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Most Experienced Podiatrist

pala on 9/25/02 at 08:59 (096177)

one of the most highly experienced and highly recommended pod i saw said i needed an operation on both feet immediately. the second opinion from a higly rated doc said i'd be insane to get my feet operated on. just my opinion that no matter how high recommendation is i think get a second opinion. or a third. just because a doc is highly recommended by other medical professionals does not mean he's god. or he's right. he may be thought highly of because he is skilled as a surgeon. he may be very eager to do more surgery. you do the math. just my opinion. i am not a doctor. just a (now) very very cautious patient.

Dave R on 9/25/02 at 12:06 (096200)

I guess maybe I'd look for an experienced Podiatrist that leads up some sort of Podiatry forum....something that indicates that they are experienced and up-to-date. There must be some indicators....it's so scary to think it blind hit or miss.

DJ on 9/25/02 at 15:16 (096209)

There is a podiatrist named Lowell Scott Weil who is a very well known and respected doctor. He is probably one of the most experienced podiatrists in the country and his office is in the Chicago area. I believe there are two Dr. Weil's, Lowell Weil Sr. and Lowell Weil Jr. I haven't seen either of the Dr. Weil's but their name comes up alot in discussions of top doctors. If Dr. Weil is as busy as the big name doctors I've seen, you may have to wait for an appointment but it may be worth the time.

Nancy N on 9/25/02 at 18:06 (096218)

Isn't Dr. Reid from Chicago, too? Her number is at the top of the Ask the Docs message board.

Dr. Z on 9/25/02 at 18:49 (096222)

Here is what I would do. Learn as much as you can about the condition and then look for a board certified podiatrist. The surgical treatment is rare and should be avoided if possible. Injections of steriod with orthoisis is effective. Read all you can about the surgical excision. Dr. Lowell is well known an a friend. I would recommend .

Dr. David S. Wander on 9/25/02 at 18:50 (096223)

I would HIGHLY recommend Dr. Lowell Scott Weil Sr. He is very well respected in our profession, has an excellent surgical reputation and is involved with research and outcomes analysis. Dr. Weil is not 'knife happy' and I am confident that if you have to wait for an appointment to see him, it will certainly be worth the wait. I believe his office is outside of Chicago.

Dave R on 9/25/02 at 21:17 (096239)

Thank you all for the replys! Stumbing across this message board has convinced me to seek a second opinion and cancel surgery until I have better investigated more conservative approaches.

I wish there were more websites like 'Ask the Foot Doctor'! What a nice group of people and true professionals who demonstrate genuine concern for their fellow humans beings!

pala on 9/26/02 at 09:09 (096264)

keep us posted dave. we will all benifit from each other's feedback. good luck. i agree we are fortunate to have these doctors sharing with us their expertise. personally i hae been helped more by them than any local doc. i hope you find one in the flesh.

pala on 9/25/02 at 08:59 (096177)

one of the most highly experienced and highly recommended pod i saw said i needed an operation on both feet immediately. the second opinion from a higly rated doc said i'd be insane to get my feet operated on. just my opinion that no matter how high recommendation is i think get a second opinion. or a third. just because a doc is highly recommended by other medical professionals does not mean he's god. or he's right. he may be thought highly of because he is skilled as a surgeon. he may be very eager to do more surgery. you do the math. just my opinion. i am not a doctor. just a (now) very very cautious patient.

Dave R on 9/25/02 at 12:06 (096200)

I guess maybe I'd look for an experienced Podiatrist that leads up some sort of Podiatry forum....something that indicates that they are experienced and up-to-date. There must be some indicators....it's so scary to think it blind hit or miss.

DJ on 9/25/02 at 15:16 (096209)

There is a podiatrist named Lowell Scott Weil who is a very well known and respected doctor. He is probably one of the most experienced podiatrists in the country and his office is in the Chicago area. I believe there are two Dr. Weil's, Lowell Weil Sr. and Lowell Weil Jr. I haven't seen either of the Dr. Weil's but their name comes up alot in discussions of top doctors. If Dr. Weil is as busy as the big name doctors I've seen, you may have to wait for an appointment but it may be worth the time.

Nancy N on 9/25/02 at 18:06 (096218)

Isn't Dr. Reid from Chicago, too? Her number is at the top of the Ask the Docs message board.

Dr. Z on 9/25/02 at 18:49 (096222)

Here is what I would do. Learn as much as you can about the condition and then look for a board certified podiatrist. The surgical treatment is rare and should be avoided if possible. Injections of steriod with orthoisis is effective. Read all you can about the surgical excision. Dr. Lowell is well known an a friend. I would recommend .

Dr. David S. Wander on 9/25/02 at 18:50 (096223)

I would HIGHLY recommend Dr. Lowell Scott Weil Sr. He is very well respected in our profession, has an excellent surgical reputation and is involved with research and outcomes analysis. Dr. Weil is not 'knife happy' and I am confident that if you have to wait for an appointment to see him, it will certainly be worth the wait. I believe his office is outside of Chicago.

Dave R on 9/25/02 at 21:17 (096239)

Thank you all for the replys! Stumbing across this message board has convinced me to seek a second opinion and cancel surgery until I have better investigated more conservative approaches.

I wish there were more websites like 'Ask the Foot Doctor'! What a nice group of people and true professionals who demonstrate genuine concern for their fellow humans beings!

pala on 9/26/02 at 09:09 (096264)

keep us posted dave. we will all benifit from each other's feedback. good luck. i agree we are fortunate to have these doctors sharing with us their expertise. personally i hae been helped more by them than any local doc. i hope you find one in the flesh.