Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

other than surgery

Posted by Dave R on 9/25/02 at 21:00 (096236)

I have a plantar fibroma located very close to the heel end of the plantar facia. It's almost the size of a small marble...3/8 inch in diameter.

My question is other than surgery...is there any other viable option? How do they work?

To me it seems wise to remove it so it does not grow/multiply and become more difficult to remove in the future....requiring more plantar facia removal and possibly more nerve damage. (Also may become malignent??)

Re: other than surgery

Dr. Z on 9/26/02 at 04:10 (096246)

What treatments have been tried. Going to a surgical excision is ok if other treats have failed. Excision can weaken the plantar fascia and the excison can re-occur. I like local steiod injection with some type of orthosis.

Dave R on 9/26/02 at 05:27 (096251)

I was given orthotics when the diagnosis was 'plantar facitis with injury/irritation to right foot plantar at heel'. After 2 months of wearing orthotics I went back with continued/increased soreness in right heel/arch. He set me up with an ultra-sound which revealed a plantar fibroma close to the heel. Using the ultra-sound as a guide he gave me an injection (to reduce swelling) at the fibroma sight and suggested surgery at that time.

He said that the only other temporary option was to punch a hole in my orthotics to relieve any pressure....but that would not rid me of the fibroma which could grow/multiply and become more serious.

He informed me of the long 3-6 month recovery. My real concern was for the plantar facia removal.....what the long-term implications were. I had questions like.... what is the plantar facia? what is it's function? how important is it? It was his response to those questions that made me feel the surgery was a good option. However, information I discovered later motivated me to get a 2nd opinion and then seek other viable options.

The 2nd opinion also was surgery....but to get an MRI done first to give more information. His opinion was that in the case of any plantar fibroma he suggest surgery and does not pad it, inject it, or blast it with anything. His opinion is that a tumor is a tumor and should be removed before it becomes larger and/or something worse.

Today I'll be talking to my original doctor to explain why I have cancelled/postponed surgery. I will see how that goes. Afterwards I will most likely call Dr Weil to see if he can accept me as a patient (he's in my insurance network!). Dr Weil is about 45 miles away from my home...but after the recent scare....I need to know that I'm in the best possible care.

Dr. Z on 9/26/02 at 04:10 (096246)

What treatments have been tried. Going to a surgical excision is ok if other treats have failed. Excision can weaken the plantar fascia and the excison can re-occur. I like local steiod injection with some type of orthosis.

Dave R on 9/26/02 at 05:27 (096251)

I was given orthotics when the diagnosis was 'plantar facitis with injury/irritation to right foot plantar at heel'. After 2 months of wearing orthotics I went back with continued/increased soreness in right heel/arch. He set me up with an ultra-sound which revealed a plantar fibroma close to the heel. Using the ultra-sound as a guide he gave me an injection (to reduce swelling) at the fibroma sight and suggested surgery at that time.

He said that the only other temporary option was to punch a hole in my orthotics to relieve any pressure....but that would not rid me of the fibroma which could grow/multiply and become more serious.

He informed me of the long 3-6 month recovery. My real concern was for the plantar facia removal.....what the long-term implications were. I had questions like.... what is the plantar facia? what is it's function? how important is it? It was his response to those questions that made me feel the surgery was a good option. However, information I discovered later motivated me to get a 2nd opinion and then seek other viable options.

The 2nd opinion also was surgery....but to get an MRI done first to give more information. His opinion was that in the case of any plantar fibroma he suggest surgery and does not pad it, inject it, or blast it with anything. His opinion is that a tumor is a tumor and should be removed before it becomes larger and/or something worse.

Today I'll be talking to my original doctor to explain why I have cancelled/postponed surgery. I will see how that goes. Afterwards I will most likely call Dr Weil to see if he can accept me as a patient (he's in my insurance network!). Dr Weil is about 45 miles away from my home...but after the recent scare....I need to know that I'm in the best possible care.