Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carole C - How are you weathering the storm?

Posted by Kathy G on 9/26/02 at 08:54 (096262)

Hi Carole,

Can't believe what lousy weather you're having down your way. We couldn't decide if the newsman misspoke last night when he said that they were forecasting 13' of rain for New Orleans in the next two days. Is that really the forecast? I can't even imagine it!

I hope you and your new house are weathering the storm successfully. I'm thinking of you!

Re: Carole C - How are you weathering the storm?

Carole C in NOLA on 9/26/02 at 10:21 (096267)

Thanks for asking, Kathy!

The eye of the storm went right over my house around 7 AM this morning, and now it's gone and the storm is over here. We got over twenty inches of rain out of it, 5' in just an hour!

There is flooding all over the city, and a lot of roads are impassable, but I don't think anybody died. I-10 is still under about 4 feet of water (and closed) at one point, as is the expressway that is also nearby to me. They still haven't got the flooding on I-10 pumped out, because of power failures that caused trouble with a couple of the pumps that keep the water out of the city. The rains have stopped, though. According to the news, there were wind gusts up to 54 mph at the airport which is about two miles from my house. But they measured that at 3 AM, and I was asleep, so I don't know if it got that windy here or not.

They tell us not to leave our houses, because it's not safe to drive around with all the flooding. I am fine here, though! I have plenty of supplies and we were given yesterday and today off from work. By this afternoon or tomorrow, it should probably be OK to drive around.

My new house didn't flood at all! (YAY!!!!!!!!) And the roof didn't leak, either.

On TV, they said that sewage was backing up into some homes in my neighborhood due to the fact that the pumps couldn't keep up with the rain that fell. I haven't had any trouble, but keep walking about and doing the 'sniff test'. I have some bottled water and I think I'll go ahead and drink that, even though they haven't told us to.

It's all over now, thank goodness! I'm so glad. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 9/26/02 at 20:17 (096280)

I've been thinking of you, Carole, and was glad to get home and see your response on the board! I'm glad the worst is over for you all.

I have been with my daughter who takes ballet and pointe lessons on Thursday night and also works for an hour assisting in a class for young beginners to help pay her dance fees. I drive her in (about 45 minutes from home) and do errands, etc. during the 3 1/2 hours she is at the dance studio. Tonight (and today) it has rained and rained...Tonight it is simply pouring. It was hard driving home, and I was sure glad to see our driveway a few minutes ago!

Hope you enjoy your day tomorrow.

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 9/26/02 at 20:48 (096285)

I heard that you were having heavy rains up there, Suzanne, but I didn't know if it was in your part of the state. I'm glad you got home all right! Hope you don't get flooded out like some parts of New Orleans. Be careful and remember never never drive into water if you don't know how deep it is.

I am just so lucky. A lot of the areas that I had been considering, when I was looking for this house, were on the news with water a yard deep. Those people in boats with water in their houses could have been me! Yeep!

My neighborhood officially had 20' of rain in 24 hours, I heard just a little while ago. My banana trees LOVED it and my back yard suddenly looks like a beautiful tropical garden of Eden. The banana leaves greened up and a lot of new ones sprouted. Several new banana trees sprang up, or perhaps they were little ones that grew over a yard during the rain. They look great, except for one which got so heavy with water (not to mention a large stalk of bananas) that it broke off.

So, I spent some happy time in the garden this afternoon, pruning and caring for the plants and feeling grateful that the storm spared me this time. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 9/26/02 at 21:49 (096291)

I'm SO glad your new house was not harmed in any way, Carole! You came to mind while I was driving home, and I thought. 'Oh, I hope Carole doesn't have any flooding or leaking to contend with!'

Banana trees = my, that does sound lush!

Re: Banana Trees, REALLY?

Valerie S on 9/28/02 at 10:14 (096380)

I guess I have been living in a cave. I did not even know you could grow bananas anywhere in the U.S. Do you eat these bananas? We are paying 59 cents per pound up here right now... wow, that's so exotic to be able to GROW them in your backyard!

I'm glad to hear you are still afloat. I was also thinking of you when I saw the weather report. Although I can imagine the wind (we get 60mph gusts sometimes up here), I can't imagine that much rain... incredible! Take care.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/28/02 at 13:50 (096389)

I have more than a dozen banana trees, and they are so lush and green. My banana trees have bananas, but the bananas are green too. They aren't the regular 'Chiquita banana' type of banana, but smaller ones. I have no idea what variety they might be. Back home in Hawaii, we had a lot of different small varieties of bananas, some of which were pretty good like apple bananas (that taste like apples). So, maybe the bananas in my back yard would be an edible variety, if they ripen.

What I love about the banana trees is the lush tropical look of the huge leaves on them. I really hope that the one that fell over didn't die. I just chopped it off and I'm hoping more leaves will spring from the base of it.

I have no idea whether or not these banana trees will survive the winter. People say they die back but not completely. I can't imagine that they could have such large diameter trunks, otherwise.

I am still afloat but getting a little nervous about Hurricane-to-be Lili. The local forecasters are saying Lili will come here too. I hope they are wrong! Some peoples' houses are still full of water and one of the main hurricane evacuation routes is blocked because it's been flooded out and looks like a big lake. So, Lili can just go someplace else!

It's been sunny and less humid than usual yesterday and today, and this morning I managed to mow my lawn. That seemed like a good idea now that the rain has stopped. My lawn was growing so fast I could almost hear it. No need to water this weekend. lol

Carole C

BrianG on 9/29/02 at 21:06 (096488)

Hi Carole,

What a treasure, having banana trees. I too had some in Hawaii. Don't be afraid to cut any of the older trees back, they only bear fruit once, but will remain standing for a few more years. Maybe you could ask the county extension people what type of fertilizer they like, I'm sure it will help to sweeten them up. I've had the smaller 'apple' banana's also, yummy! I was pretty much broke, but chunky p-nut butter and banana on whole wheat sandwiches were to die for :*) :*) :*)

Hope you dry out,
BrianG

Carole C in NOLA on 9/30/02 at 06:35 (096493)

Gosh, it's been years since I met anyone who knows how great apple bananas are, Brian! I haven't had one for probably a quarter of a century or more, but some things you just never forget.

I didn't have any banana trees in Hawaii (my parents didn't have any, and when I moved away from home I only lived in an apartment there, with no yard). So, I appreciate the tips on growing them.

Thanks for the info on cutting the trees back. I cut this one back pretty severely after it fell over (there's just a couple of feet of trunk sticking up from the ground, or less). I sure hope it doesn't die, because I don't relish trying to remove the rest of it.

Carole C

Re: Time to buy a machete, senoreta !!!

BrianG on 9/30/02 at 22:01 (096560)

If there is only a couple feet of it left, chop it down! I used to just leave the chopped up, dead ones, for mulch. After you chop it all the way down, it'll send up 2 or 3 new suckers, that will turn into nice new banana trees. God, I hope they do anyways, they always used to :*)

I don't want to be giving you bad info, because you know what they say, 'If you can remember the 70's, you really wern't there!' hahahaaaa

Good luck with them
BrianG

PS: And watch out for the bee's nests, they love banana trees!!!

Re: Si, Senor!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/01/02 at 17:25 (096633)

I just might do that. I finally found a couple of people at work that have a lot of banana trees, and they've told me that it's about impossible to kill them. So, I may have a fighting chance!

I let the city haul away the rest of the plant. They sent special trucks around today to pick up debris from Isidore before Lili makes landfall on Thursday or Friday.

Carole C

john h on 10/03/02 at 08:52 (096789)

Carole: In front of my little hut in Vietnam I had several banana trees. Each morning I would get up stroll out and have a banana. I also liked to lie under my banana trees and sun bathe.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/03/02 at 11:16 (096804)

Sounds like fun, John. :) Right now, my banana trees are really getting whipped around by Lili. I could get some great 'hurricane photos' if I wanted to (but the winds really aren't as bad as they'd look in the photos).

Under my banana trees, I have shade from the banana trees! But when there is no hurricane, there is some sunshine in the middle of the yard. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/26/02 at 10:21 (096267)

Thanks for asking, Kathy!

The eye of the storm went right over my house around 7 AM this morning, and now it's gone and the storm is over here. We got over twenty inches of rain out of it, 5' in just an hour!

There is flooding all over the city, and a lot of roads are impassable, but I don't think anybody died. I-10 is still under about 4 feet of water (and closed) at one point, as is the expressway that is also nearby to me. They still haven't got the flooding on I-10 pumped out, because of power failures that caused trouble with a couple of the pumps that keep the water out of the city. The rains have stopped, though. According to the news, there were wind gusts up to 54 mph at the airport which is about two miles from my house. But they measured that at 3 AM, and I was asleep, so I don't know if it got that windy here or not.

They tell us not to leave our houses, because it's not safe to drive around with all the flooding. I am fine here, though! I have plenty of supplies and we were given yesterday and today off from work. By this afternoon or tomorrow, it should probably be OK to drive around.

My new house didn't flood at all! (YAY!!!!!!!!) And the roof didn't leak, either.

On TV, they said that sewage was backing up into some homes in my neighborhood due to the fact that the pumps couldn't keep up with the rain that fell. I haven't had any trouble, but keep walking about and doing the 'sniff test'. I have some bottled water and I think I'll go ahead and drink that, even though they haven't told us to.

It's all over now, thank goodness! I'm so glad. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 9/26/02 at 20:17 (096280)

I've been thinking of you, Carole, and was glad to get home and see your response on the board! I'm glad the worst is over for you all.

I have been with my daughter who takes ballet and pointe lessons on Thursday night and also works for an hour assisting in a class for young beginners to help pay her dance fees. I drive her in (about 45 minutes from home) and do errands, etc. during the 3 1/2 hours she is at the dance studio. Tonight (and today) it has rained and rained...Tonight it is simply pouring. It was hard driving home, and I was sure glad to see our driveway a few minutes ago!

Hope you enjoy your day tomorrow.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/26/02 at 20:48 (096285)

I heard that you were having heavy rains up there, Suzanne, but I didn't know if it was in your part of the state. I'm glad you got home all right! Hope you don't get flooded out like some parts of New Orleans. Be careful and remember never never drive into water if you don't know how deep it is.

I am just so lucky. A lot of the areas that I had been considering, when I was looking for this house, were on the news with water a yard deep. Those people in boats with water in their houses could have been me! Yeep!

My neighborhood officially had 20' of rain in 24 hours, I heard just a little while ago. My banana trees LOVED it and my back yard suddenly looks like a beautiful tropical garden of Eden. The banana leaves greened up and a lot of new ones sprouted. Several new banana trees sprang up, or perhaps they were little ones that grew over a yard during the rain. They look great, except for one which got so heavy with water (not to mention a large stalk of bananas) that it broke off.

So, I spent some happy time in the garden this afternoon, pruning and caring for the plants and feeling grateful that the storm spared me this time. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 9/26/02 at 21:49 (096291)

I'm SO glad your new house was not harmed in any way, Carole! You came to mind while I was driving home, and I thought. 'Oh, I hope Carole doesn't have any flooding or leaking to contend with!'

Banana trees = my, that does sound lush!

Valerie S on 9/28/02 at 10:14 (096380)

I guess I have been living in a cave. I did not even know you could grow bananas anywhere in the U.S. Do you eat these bananas? We are paying 59 cents per pound up here right now... wow, that's so exotic to be able to GROW them in your backyard!

I'm glad to hear you are still afloat. I was also thinking of you when I saw the weather report. Although I can imagine the wind (we get 60mph gusts sometimes up here), I can't imagine that much rain... incredible! Take care.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/28/02 at 13:50 (096389)

I have more than a dozen banana trees, and they are so lush and green. My banana trees have bananas, but the bananas are green too. They aren't the regular 'Chiquita banana' type of banana, but smaller ones. I have no idea what variety they might be. Back home in Hawaii, we had a lot of different small varieties of bananas, some of which were pretty good like apple bananas (that taste like apples). So, maybe the bananas in my back yard would be an edible variety, if they ripen.

What I love about the banana trees is the lush tropical look of the huge leaves on them. I really hope that the one that fell over didn't die. I just chopped it off and I'm hoping more leaves will spring from the base of it.

I have no idea whether or not these banana trees will survive the winter. People say they die back but not completely. I can't imagine that they could have such large diameter trunks, otherwise.

I am still afloat but getting a little nervous about Hurricane-to-be Lili. The local forecasters are saying Lili will come here too. I hope they are wrong! Some peoples' houses are still full of water and one of the main hurricane evacuation routes is blocked because it's been flooded out and looks like a big lake. So, Lili can just go someplace else!

It's been sunny and less humid than usual yesterday and today, and this morning I managed to mow my lawn. That seemed like a good idea now that the rain has stopped. My lawn was growing so fast I could almost hear it. No need to water this weekend. lol

Carole C

BrianG on 9/29/02 at 21:06 (096488)

Hi Carole,

What a treasure, having banana trees. I too had some in Hawaii. Don't be afraid to cut any of the older trees back, they only bear fruit once, but will remain standing for a few more years. Maybe you could ask the county extension people what type of fertilizer they like, I'm sure it will help to sweeten them up. I've had the smaller 'apple' banana's also, yummy! I was pretty much broke, but chunky p-nut butter and banana on whole wheat sandwiches were to die for :*) :*) :*)

Hope you dry out,
BrianG

Carole C in NOLA on 9/30/02 at 06:35 (096493)

Gosh, it's been years since I met anyone who knows how great apple bananas are, Brian! I haven't had one for probably a quarter of a century or more, but some things you just never forget.

I didn't have any banana trees in Hawaii (my parents didn't have any, and when I moved away from home I only lived in an apartment there, with no yard). So, I appreciate the tips on growing them.

Thanks for the info on cutting the trees back. I cut this one back pretty severely after it fell over (there's just a couple of feet of trunk sticking up from the ground, or less). I sure hope it doesn't die, because I don't relish trying to remove the rest of it.

Carole C

Re: Time to buy a machete, senoreta !!!

BrianG on 9/30/02 at 22:01 (096560)

If there is only a couple feet of it left, chop it down! I used to just leave the chopped up, dead ones, for mulch. After you chop it all the way down, it'll send up 2 or 3 new suckers, that will turn into nice new banana trees. God, I hope they do anyways, they always used to :*)

I don't want to be giving you bad info, because you know what they say, 'If you can remember the 70's, you really wern't there!' hahahaaaa

Good luck with them
BrianG

PS: And watch out for the bee's nests, they love banana trees!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/01/02 at 17:25 (096633)

I just might do that. I finally found a couple of people at work that have a lot of banana trees, and they've told me that it's about impossible to kill them. So, I may have a fighting chance!

I let the city haul away the rest of the plant. They sent special trucks around today to pick up debris from Isidore before Lili makes landfall on Thursday or Friday.

Carole C

john h on 10/03/02 at 08:52 (096789)

Carole: In front of my little hut in Vietnam I had several banana trees. Each morning I would get up stroll out and have a banana. I also liked to lie under my banana trees and sun bathe.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/03/02 at 11:16 (096804)

Sounds like fun, John. :) Right now, my banana trees are really getting whipped around by Lili. I could get some great 'hurricane photos' if I wanted to (but the winds really aren't as bad as they'd look in the photos).

Under my banana trees, I have shade from the banana trees! But when there is no hurricane, there is some sunshine in the middle of the yard. :)

Carole C