Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain & numbness in the two toes next to big toe ???

Posted by Robin on 9/26/02 at 18:16 (096274)

I am in a bit of a quandry here. I thought I might have tarsal tunnel, but after reading about it and following some recommended tests, I do not believe I have it. But I do have a problem with the two toes next to my big toe. While on my feet, they start to tingle, then become very painful, then they go completely numb. I do have a bone spur somewhere in the bottom of this particular foot, but do not know if it is, or could be the cause. The bone spur does not cause me any pain whatsoever. I even wake up with those two toes numb and tingling, more often than not lately. I have the feet from hell. I had a repair surgery done on my right achilles a little over a year ago, and it has been worse since the surgery. The doctor used porcine tendons as a graft, without my knowledge. The ankle is now distorted in appearance and constantly in pain, not to mention that my calf muscle is not almost completely atrophied. I think that due to this surgery, my left foot has been overworked and maybe that is the cause of my toe problem. Can you tell me what might be causing the numbness in my toes? I am a fairly active person. I do a lot of horseback riding, and these foot problems are causing me discomfort. I am 48 years old and am always limping, can you please help me?

Re: Pain & numbness in the two toes next to big toe ???

scott on 9/26/02 at 20:24 (096282)

test

Kim R. on 9/29/02 at 15:47 (096453)

Dr. Ed, do you think increasing vitamin B intake would reduce numbness in the big toe on a foot that has pf? What else would cause a numb big toe? I am almost afraid to have a glass of red wine now because every time I do a general search on 'numb toes' one of the first few things that pops up is alcohol neuropathy or diabetic neuropathy. Have any of your patients ever complained about this? I have changed socks and try to do little toe exercises to no avail. Sometimes it feels almost normal, other times, totally asleep. Maybe I am just becoming obsessed with all this, who knows. Also, do any of your patients ever complain about knee pain on the 'other good leg' after a prolonged bout of pf? I am wondering if I have overused my good leg and put too much pressure on my knee - not pain, just weird feeling. Kim

Scott on 9/26/02 at 18:11 (096725)

test

scott on 9/26/02 at 20:24 (096282)

test

Kim R. on 9/29/02 at 15:47 (096453)

Dr. Ed, do you think increasing vitamin B intake would reduce numbness in the big toe on a foot that has pf? What else would cause a numb big toe? I am almost afraid to have a glass of red wine now because every time I do a general search on 'numb toes' one of the first few things that pops up is alcohol neuropathy or diabetic neuropathy. Have any of your patients ever complained about this? I have changed socks and try to do little toe exercises to no avail. Sometimes it feels almost normal, other times, totally asleep. Maybe I am just becoming obsessed with all this, who knows. Also, do any of your patients ever complain about knee pain on the 'other good leg' after a prolonged bout of pf? I am wondering if I have overused my good leg and put too much pressure on my knee - not pain, just weird feeling. Kim

Scott on 9/26/02 at 18:11 (096725)

test