Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fibroma Survivors

Posted by Dave R on 9/26/02 at 23:30 (096295)

I have a plantar fibroma located very close to the heel end of the plantar facia. It's almost the size of a small marble...3/8 inch in diameter. It is sore enough to give me a limp....as I'm kind of compensating by walking on the outside of my foot away from the fibroma.

ARE THERE ANY FOLKS OUT THERE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SURGERY? OR FOUND A SUCESSFUL ALTERNATIVE TO A FIBROMA THAT IS CAUSING PAIN?

Re: What's a plantar fibroma ?

Pete on 9/27/02 at 06:43 (096305)

Forgive my ignornace but what's the difference between pf and a fibroma ?

Dave R on 9/27/02 at 07:04 (096307)

Pete....an explaination from Dr Z..................

Re: What is the difference? View Thread
Posted by Dr. Zuckerman on 6/14/02 at 18:37

Plantar fasciitis is where the fascia is swollen and thicken when it is chronic. Plantar fibromatosis is where there are cysts in the fasica bands. They are hard in texture and are due to a herniation of the fibers of the fasica. Can be very painful. Appear like small nodules . Can grow in size. and can be in multiple sites. Many times present without any pain . You can also get fibromatosis in the palm of the hand.

Message Number 87626

Kim R. on 9/27/02 at 08:09 (096311)

Will this show up in a traditional x-ray?

Re: Plantar Fibroma Survivors

Dave R on 9/27/02 at 08:47 (096319)

ARE THERE ANY FOLKS OUT THERE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SURGERY? OR FOUND A SUCESSFUL ALTERNATIVE TO SURGERY FOR A FIBROMA THAT IS CAUSING PAIN?

Can you tell me how your recovery progressed?

6 months after the surgery?
12 months after surgery?
18 months after surgery?

Re: Id there any reason in particular that you are ignoring my answer further down the page?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/27/02 at 10:48 (096340)

I have answered this yesterday and numerous times previously. Perhaps you would prefer to post this question in a board other than 'Ask the Doctors..'
Ed

Re: Id there any reason in particular that you are ignoring my answer further down the page?

Dave R on 9/27/02 at 11:16 (096342)

Dr Davis,

My apologies....I appreciate your answer on the alternative treatment for plantar fibroma.....I should have removed the alternative treatment part of the question and posted it as below. My curiousity is about those who have actually experienced the surgery......again I apologize if it appeared that I was ignoring any of your advice....I will scan the posts again to see if there has been any response to the surgery recovery part of the question.

I'm scared about the possible surgery......and ANGRY at some of the vague-incomplete answers and run-around that I've experienced in my recent encounters with Podiatry. A board certified podiatrist (not from this website) actually agreed with the statement that the plantar facia can be closely compared with the appendix in relation to it's importance. I had surgery scheduled until I did some more research. YES THAT'S IT I'M ANGRY!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARE THERE ANY FOLKS OUT THERE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SURGERY TO REMOVE A PLANTAR FIBROMA?

12 months after surgery?
18 months after surgery?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/27/02 at 14:09 (096347)

Dave:

It sounds like you have been provided with incomplete advice if not advice that is downright incorrect based on what you have described.

I can understand that you are angry but try to feel better knowing that the problem you have can be resolved relatively simply, without surgery most of the time.

Ed

Re: Dave ,I had the surgery

Laurie R on 9/28/02 at 10:13 (096379)

Hi Dave , I was just scanning the post and ran across yours..... Yes I had the surgery to remove my fibroma ..... It has not been 6 months post opp yet . I had my surgery on May 7 th 02...I had more then just the fibroma removed ..Now before my surgery my Pod did tell me by removing the fibroma it can come back..... I hate to tell you , but now I have another one .. This one is biggier and more painful then the first one....

I had a lot of surgery , I had a PF release and a TT release and my Pod cleaned out my tendons and released a nerve in one of my tendons . Also he remeoved my fibroma ,which is was right on my fascia .I got another like I said right in the same spot . I have had PT for it , deep tissue message to try to brake it up ... It did not work and sent me into a RSD flare up .... Then I had three cortisone injections in the lump ... The injections have helped the most so far....

It is still very painful ..

I hope I answered your questions .....Laurie R

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/28/02 at 12:00 (096385)

Laurie:

Plantar fibromatosis are composed of scar tissue, in large part. Surgical removal of scar tissue begets more scar tissue so surgery is often not very productive.

Hopefully we can convince Dave to forget about surgery and expensive tests and to go for the tried, proven and true treatment. I have done only 2 surgeries on a plantar fibroma in the last 3 to 4 years since the injections, when properly administered, work most of the time.
Ed

Dave R on 9/28/02 at 18:09 (096398)

Thanks Dr Davis...I'm convinced!

The 2 DPMs that I've visited suggests surgery primarily because the fibroma is in the heel area and it's causing some pain...enough to give me a slight limp...it does not hurt when I'm not standing on it.

I'm going ahead with the MRI....just in case...to make sure there's nothing else causing the problem....and for a little more peace of mind.

Can you please direct me to an article, website, or paper that describes the injection therapy. I'm like to print something out and bring it with me on my next DPM visit.

Thanks !!!!!!

Re: Re:Dr Davis

Laurie R on 9/28/02 at 20:40 (096407)

Hi Dr Davis , I with you on having surgery for the fibroma.... My Pod would not of done the surgery just for the fibroma . But since I he was going in there to do all my other surgery , he removed the fibroma... Like I said he did tell me ahead of time that the fibroma could come back.... And it did , this time it is even biggier. So he has given me three cortisone injections so far..... They seem to have helped ..... He will not do more the four injections in a year.... He said he is not even sure he will do the forth one ......

He had said the same thing as you , if you have scar tissue removed , surgery will just make more scar tissue ..... Which in my case it did ....

Laurie R

Dave R on 9/29/02 at 17:13 (096463)

Laurie,

My original pod and my 2nd opinion pod both suggested surgery for removal based on the fact that the fibroma is causing some discomfort. Their opinion is that a tumor is a tumor and should be removed...especially if it's causing some pain. They believe that it will most likely grow since it is being irritated by walking....and it could possibly become more integrated with the PF and nerves...making future removal more serious.

With the insight I've gained from this website.....I will be opting for injection therapy in my situation. I think this is worth a shot for at least a few months...if growth increases then I will consider the surgery. Now I'm trying to find any literature on the injection therapy in the treatment of fibromas.

It sounds like you're having some really rough times. I pray that you find some relief and peace after all you've had to endure. Keep up the faith!

Thanks!!!!!!

Dr. Z on 9/29/02 at 18:52 (096475)

The treatment can be very simple with injection therapy followed by orthosis if needed . The need is determine by an biomechanical evaluaton followed by a gait analysis

Pete on 9/27/02 at 06:43 (096305)

Forgive my ignornace but what's the difference between pf and a fibroma ?

Dave R on 9/27/02 at 07:04 (096307)

Pete....an explaination from Dr Z..................

Re: What is the difference? View Thread
Posted by Dr. Zuckerman on 6/14/02 at 18:37

Plantar fasciitis is where the fascia is swollen and thicken when it is chronic. Plantar fibromatosis is where there are cysts in the fasica bands. They are hard in texture and are due to a herniation of the fibers of the fasica. Can be very painful. Appear like small nodules . Can grow in size. and can be in multiple sites. Many times present without any pain . You can also get fibromatosis in the palm of the hand.

Message Number 87626

Kim R. on 9/27/02 at 08:09 (096311)

Will this show up in a traditional x-ray?

Dave R on 9/27/02 at 08:47 (096319)

ARE THERE ANY FOLKS OUT THERE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SURGERY? OR FOUND A SUCESSFUL ALTERNATIVE TO SURGERY FOR A FIBROMA THAT IS CAUSING PAIN?

12 months after surgery?
18 months after surgery?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/27/02 at 10:48 (096340)

I have answered this yesterday and numerous times previously. Perhaps you would prefer to post this question in a board other than 'Ask the Doctors..'
Ed

Dave R on 9/27/02 at 11:16 (096342)

Dr Davis,

My apologies....I appreciate your answer on the alternative treatment for plantar fibroma.....I should have removed the alternative treatment part of the question and posted it as below. My curiousity is about those who have actually experienced the surgery......again I apologize if it appeared that I was ignoring any of your advice....I will scan the posts again to see if there has been any response to the surgery recovery part of the question.

I'm scared about the possible surgery......and ANGRY at some of the vague-incomplete answers and run-around that I've experienced in my recent encounters with Podiatry. A board certified podiatrist (not from this website) actually agreed with the statement that the plantar facia can be closely compared with the appendix in relation to it's importance. I had surgery scheduled until I did some more research. YES THAT'S IT I'M ANGRY!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARE THERE ANY FOLKS OUT THERE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SURGERY TO REMOVE A PLANTAR FIBROMA?

12 months after surgery?
18 months after surgery?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/27/02 at 14:09 (096347)

Dave:

It sounds like you have been provided with incomplete advice if not advice that is downright incorrect based on what you have described.

I can understand that you are angry but try to feel better knowing that the problem you have can be resolved relatively simply, without surgery most of the time.

Ed

Laurie R on 9/28/02 at 10:13 (096379)

Hi Dave , I was just scanning the post and ran across yours..... Yes I had the surgery to remove my fibroma ..... It has not been 6 months post opp yet . I had my surgery on May 7 th 02...I had more then just the fibroma removed ..Now before my surgery my Pod did tell me by removing the fibroma it can come back..... I hate to tell you , but now I have another one .. This one is biggier and more painful then the first one....

I had a lot of surgery , I had a PF release and a TT release and my Pod cleaned out my tendons and released a nerve in one of my tendons . Also he remeoved my fibroma ,which is was right on my fascia .I got another like I said right in the same spot . I have had PT for it , deep tissue message to try to brake it up ... It did not work and sent me into a RSD flare up .... Then I had three cortisone injections in the lump ... The injections have helped the most so far....

It is still very painful ..

I hope I answered your questions .....Laurie R

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/28/02 at 12:00 (096385)

Laurie:

Plantar fibromatosis are composed of scar tissue, in large part. Surgical removal of scar tissue begets more scar tissue so surgery is often not very productive.

Hopefully we can convince Dave to forget about surgery and expensive tests and to go for the tried, proven and true treatment. I have done only 2 surgeries on a plantar fibroma in the last 3 to 4 years since the injections, when properly administered, work most of the time.
Ed

Dave R on 9/28/02 at 18:09 (096398)

Thanks Dr Davis...I'm convinced!

The 2 DPMs that I've visited suggests surgery primarily because the fibroma is in the heel area and it's causing some pain...enough to give me a slight limp...it does not hurt when I'm not standing on it.

I'm going ahead with the MRI....just in case...to make sure there's nothing else causing the problem....and for a little more peace of mind.

Can you please direct me to an article, website, or paper that describes the injection therapy. I'm like to print something out and bring it with me on my next DPM visit.

Thanks !!!!!!

Re: Re:Dr Davis

Laurie R on 9/28/02 at 20:40 (096407)

Hi Dr Davis , I with you on having surgery for the fibroma.... My Pod would not of done the surgery just for the fibroma . But since I he was going in there to do all my other surgery , he removed the fibroma... Like I said he did tell me ahead of time that the fibroma could come back.... And it did , this time it is even biggier. So he has given me three cortisone injections so far..... They seem to have helped ..... He will not do more the four injections in a year.... He said he is not even sure he will do the forth one ......

He had said the same thing as you , if you have scar tissue removed , surgery will just make more scar tissue ..... Which in my case it did ....

Laurie R

Dave R on 9/29/02 at 17:13 (096463)

Laurie,

My original pod and my 2nd opinion pod both suggested surgery for removal based on the fact that the fibroma is causing some discomfort. Their opinion is that a tumor is a tumor and should be removed...especially if it's causing some pain. They believe that it will most likely grow since it is being irritated by walking....and it could possibly become more integrated with the PF and nerves...making future removal more serious.

With the insight I've gained from this website.....I will be opting for injection therapy in my situation. I think this is worth a shot for at least a few months...if growth increases then I will consider the surgery. Now I'm trying to find any literature on the injection therapy in the treatment of fibromas.

It sounds like you're having some really rough times. I pray that you find some relief and peace after all you've had to endure. Keep up the faith!

Thanks!!!!!!

Dr. Z on 9/29/02 at 18:52 (096475)

The treatment can be very simple with injection therapy followed by orthosis if needed . The need is determine by an biomechanical evaluaton followed by a gait analysis

Aggie on 4/17/07 at 16:38 (227994)

I have a plantar fibroma which causes me to limp when walking even very short distances. I purchased a type of training shoe called Masai Barefoot Technology or MBTs. These alleviate the pressure on the plantar and I have found them invaluable. They are quite expensive but I would not be without them.

Heidi K. on 7/05/07 at 01:34 (232516)

Hi Dave, I have or had plantar Fibromatosis and I had Surgery 5 weeks ago. If you still need to know more about this type of Surgery I be more than happy to tell you more.
Heidi

Re: I have PF on arch of foot and wondering what the future holds?

Janet on 9/10/07 at 16:03 (235882)

I have been trying to research what will happen when the PF on my R arch becomes so big that it is a hindrance. I discovered a small nodule a year ago and it is growing in size. The orthopedic surgeon I saw told me to avoid surgery due to reoccurance. I am wondering how you are doing now? Did you have a complete plantar fasciectomy?

Re: Surgery results

Janet R on 2/09/08 at 21:53 (243003)

I was wondering how your surgery went?

bill xxy on 4/19/08 at 09:55 (246083)

I have a fibroma on my foot.
It hurts but it is small 1/4' AT MOST.
I AM DOING FIVE THINGS.
1.BIKING ON A STATIONARY BIKE AT THE GYM.
2.ICING MY FOOT 3-4X'S A DAY FOR 3-5 MINUTES ONLY
AND 3.I AM USING A GET WELL DVD BY WEBTENNIS.COM
4. I AM TAPING UP MY FOOT OR USING AN ACE BANDAGE TO KEEP MY ARCH FROM FALLING.
5. EPSON SALT BATHS AND COOL WATER WARM UP SO NOT AS TO AGRIVATE BUT INVIGORATE THE FOOT AND THE FIBROMA
ALL OF THESE THINGS ARE WORKING, IT IS A SLOW AND HARD ROAD BUT AFTER 4 MONTHS ON CRUTCHES TO KEEP OFF THE FIBROMA AREA I AM SEEING SIGNS OF IMPROVEMENT. I HATE CRUTCHES, BUT IF ALL OF THESE THREE THINGS WORK, IT IS BETTER THAN SURGERY WITH ONLY A 40% CHANCE OF RECOVERY OR WORST, NO MORE FEELING IN MY FOOT AT ALL.
I HOPE THIS GETS TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE BAD PLANTER FACIITIS AND PEOPLE WITH PLANTER FIBROMA.
AS I SAID IT HAS BEEN 4 LONG MONTHS BUT I AM NOW SEEING LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL.
KEEP STRETCHING NOT TO MUCH.
KEEP ICING NOT TO LONG 3-5 MINUTES AT A TIME
KEEP ON EXERSICING BUT,ON NON FOOT BEARING EASY EXERSICE TO KEEP THE CARDIO WORKING YOU NEED TO PUMP YOUR BLOOD.
THE FEET ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BODY.
GOOD HEALTH TO YOU.
AND THE WEBTENNIS.COM HAS REALLY HELPED!
A FEW EXTRA VITAMINS CANT HURT LOOK UP WHAT IS GOOD FOR CIRCULATION.
YOURS, BILLXXY
P.S. I AM NOT A DOCTOR JUST TRYING TO HELP!

brian on 3/16/09 at 18:48 (255971)

i had surgery 3 years ago. the dr told me i would be in a little discomfort and after the surgery, this was not just a little discomfort. It was intense pain. I cut my hand off in '83 and the pain from the plantar surgery was close to the pain i had from my hand recovery. the only difference was the length of pain, it lasted only close to a week and a half. but it was severe, to say the least. I was on my treadmill in 2mos. running 3 miles. the bad news, it the fibroma is back. and just knowing there is something not right with my body, makes me want surgery again, but knowing the pain, i say no way. i will just deal with the fibroma. one reccomendation, never, never believe someone when they tell you, it will be a little discomfort. we have so many nerves in our feet. i had no idea.

Re: Planter Fasica

Kat N. on 3/27/09 at 16:22 (256424)

I am 13 years old and i have a planter fascia in the arch of my foot. I am going to a doctor soon to see what to do. Im am a little nevous becuase i dont have many medical problems. Can someone please give me some reasurence

hdbryant on 8/09/09 at 22:33 (259547)

I have had surgery in both of my feet for the fibrmas .Do'nt do it. they come right back . mine did and they came back even worse. I now have back and hip problumes because I cane not stand right because of the fibromas. They came back in both feet in less than a year.
I do not recomend surgical remoam to any one.

travis on 10/08/09 at 16:21 (261159)

I had mine removed twice. The first time was in jan.09 and it came back 5 months later. I had the second surgery in july09 and hopefully it doesn't come back. I will tell my pain level is more now after the two surgeries then before them