Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel pain especially from driving

Posted by Jim H on 9/27/02 at 08:28 (096315)

Hi,

About five years ago my doctor diagnosed PF as the cause of my heel pain. I'm not sure since it doesn't easily match many of the symptoms I've read about on this site. For the past seven years I've had a job which requires me to take a 125 mile drive twice a week. This seems to have been the cause of the pain since it is located exactly on the back of the heel which rests on the floor of the car. Long drives make it worse as does any position which rests the foot in a similar position, for example lying on my back in bed. Walking doesn't seem to exacerbate it at all, nor does going barefoot around the house, in fact, if anything these seem to help aleviate the pain.

Could this still be PF or is it likely to be something else?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jim

Re: Heel pain especially from driving

BrianG on 9/27/02 at 14:14 (096348)

Hi Jim,

Sounds like PF to me. Driving was by far the most painful thing I had to do. I had to sell my stick shift a couple years ago. I bought an automatic, with cruise (which I use 95% of the time), air, and power steering. It's made a world of difference. I also use a piece of foam, about 2 inches thick, to rest my heels / feet on. Try ice when you get home for the day. Hope this helps

Good luck
BrianG, not a doc

Ellen J. on 9/27/02 at 19:14 (096361)

Hi Jim,
Although it could be P.F., have you checked out Achilles Tendonitis? I'm not a doctor, but it seems that P.F. pain would be on the bottom (underneath) the heel rather than on the back of the heel. At least, it sounds like you are describing the back of the heel rather than underneath. Maybe the Achilles is inflamed and putting pressure on it, via resting the foot on that area, is aggravating it.
Just a thought and a guess.
Ellen J.
PS. I've heard it spelled two ways: 'Tendenitis' and 'Tendonitis'. Not sure what is correct.

Nancy N on 9/28/02 at 16:12 (096392)

Jim--

I'm not a doc, either, but I'd second Ellen's guess. Ask about Achilles Tendonitis and see what you can find out. PF pain is usually at the back of the arch, where the arch meets the heel, not on the backs of the heels.

And I've also seen it spelled 'tendinitis.' No idea which one's right.

Kim R. on 9/29/02 at 15:57 (096454)

I bought a sports car ( 5-speed) about two months before I developed an acute case of pf. The clutch can be a source of increased pain. I have found that if I drive in a pair of running shoes and then switch to something else for an appointment it helps. I also drive high miles every week. I have started carrying my 'Pro Stretch' device with me to the office to stretch with after a long road trip. Driving also aggravates my sciatic nerve. My doctor told me to move my seat forward a little more to prevent straining the arch of my clutch foot and that also seemed to help. The more 'supportive' my shoe is the less driving bothers me. I just keep a pair of New Balance running shoes on the passenger seat.

BrianG on 9/27/02 at 14:14 (096348)

Hi Jim,

Sounds like PF to me. Driving was by far the most painful thing I had to do. I had to sell my stick shift a couple years ago. I bought an automatic, with cruise (which I use 95% of the time), air, and power steering. It's made a world of difference. I also use a piece of foam, about 2 inches thick, to rest my heels / feet on. Try ice when you get home for the day. Hope this helps

Good luck
BrianG, not a doc

Ellen J. on 9/27/02 at 19:14 (096361)

Hi Jim,
Although it could be P.F., have you checked out Achilles Tendonitis? I'm not a doctor, but it seems that P.F. pain would be on the bottom (underneath) the heel rather than on the back of the heel. At least, it sounds like you are describing the back of the heel rather than underneath. Maybe the Achilles is inflamed and putting pressure on it, via resting the foot on that area, is aggravating it.
Just a thought and a guess.
Ellen J.
PS. I've heard it spelled two ways: 'Tendenitis' and 'Tendonitis'. Not sure what is correct.

Nancy N on 9/28/02 at 16:12 (096392)

Jim--

I'm not a doc, either, but I'd second Ellen's guess. Ask about Achilles Tendonitis and see what you can find out. PF pain is usually at the back of the arch, where the arch meets the heel, not on the backs of the heels.

And I've also seen it spelled 'tendinitis.' No idea which one's right.

Kim R. on 9/29/02 at 15:57 (096454)

I bought a sports car ( 5-speed) about two months before I developed an acute case of pf. The clutch can be a source of increased pain. I have found that if I drive in a pair of running shoes and then switch to something else for an appointment it helps. I also drive high miles every week. I have started carrying my 'Pro Stretch' device with me to the office to stretch with after a long road trip. Driving also aggravates my sciatic nerve. My doctor told me to move my seat forward a little more to prevent straining the arch of my clutch foot and that also seemed to help. The more 'supportive' my shoe is the less driving bothers me. I just keep a pair of New Balance running shoes on the passenger seat.