Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

10 months after PF surgery and still have pain

Posted by Stephanie on 9/27/02 at 08:53 (096322)

I had PF surgery on both feet, Right foot Nov 21, 2001 and Left foot Dec 21, 2001. Im still recovering from surgery. I had some numbness in both feet and had some tests to make sure it wasnt' nerve damage and it wasn't. The nerves were still coming back to normal from surgery. I wore orthotic inserts all day every day and took an anti- inflamantory Naproxen till August 2002 when I then went off the meds and was allowed to start wearing regular shoes, as long as they had cushion and some arch support. I went on a shopping spree for HushPuppies and Easy Spirit shoes. They have the most custion in the shoe and support. I still wear my orthoics when I wear my tennis shoes and when working out or on my feet for longer periods of time. I still only last 2 hours on my feet till they are so sore I need to get off them. Before surgery I lasted 10 minutes then the pain set in and I had to get office them. I would say I am 50-60% cured from surgery. That isn't much. Was surgery worth it for me, I keep asking myself. My last appointment to the podiatrist was at the beinginng of August. That is when he took me off the meds and said I could start wearing other shoes without orthoics. I go back to the Podiatrist on October 14, but I actually need to go sooner than that. My feet are sore and I can't wait til October 14, 2002. I did get a second opinion before surgery to make sure my doctor was on track with my foot condition and he was. I don't have any bone spurs just pain on the bottom of my foot. My doctor examines my feet each time I go to see him and he doesn't feel any inflamanation. What could be the problem for such a slow recovery? Im getting impatient. Please email me at (email removed).
Herndon, VA

Re: 10 months after PF surgery and still have pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/27/02 at 10:53 (096341)

Strephanie:

This type of surgery has a rather modest success rate. Many of us expect the vast majority of plantar fascial release surgeries to be replaced by ESWT. ESWT is still an option after surgery. Dr. Z, in particular, notes a good degree of success with ESWT on patients who are still having pain after surgery.
Ed

Dr. Z on 9/28/02 at 18:02 (096397)

Yes I have found ESWT to be effective post failed pf surgery so long as the following hasn't occurred.

1. Nerve entrapment
2. The pain has shifted to every area of the foot and the heel is pain free. Many times this has happed due to the plantar fascia structure losing its ability to function during the gait cycle.

So long as there is heel pain on physical palpation there is a very good chance to help you.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/27/02 at 10:53 (096341)

Strephanie:

This type of surgery has a rather modest success rate. Many of us expect the vast majority of plantar fascial release surgeries to be replaced by ESWT. ESWT is still an option after surgery. Dr. Z, in particular, notes a good degree of success with ESWT on patients who are still having pain after surgery.
Ed

Dr. Z on 9/28/02 at 18:02 (096397)

Yes I have found ESWT to be effective post failed pf surgery so long as the following hasn't occurred.

1. Nerve entrapment
2. The pain has shifted to every area of the foot and the heel is pain free. Many times this has happed due to the plantar fascia structure losing its ability to function during the gait cycle.

So long as there is heel pain on physical palpation there is a very good chance to help you.