Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SDO's update-Anyone?

Posted by Carmen H on 9/27/02 at 09:10 (096325)

I am still having great luck with these Silicone Dynamic Orthotics by Dr. Kiper...the recovery period from anything I overdue is so much shorter than when I waswearing hard orthotics and no orthotics at all. they just feel better and walking doesn't really hurt at all. Most of my pain is when I stop walking....and even then it's very manageable.
Anyone else?

Re: SDO's update-Anyone?

RACHAEL T. on 9/27/02 at 18:07 (096355)

I am still having some transitionary pain - (I hope that it is just that) w/ the SDO's. They felt soo comfy initially but after 4 days, they began to make my feet ache more - w/ overall soreness. I do think Dr. K is helpful & wanting to do the correct thing....he is now trying to make an adjustment for 1 foot which maybe may help. That is my SDO update.....I am wondering how long it took for the transitionary period to cease with you & with others who wear SDO's & hope to hear from you asap regarding this time span. Thanks!

Carrie on 9/28/02 at 21:07 (096413)

Carmen

What are the SDO's like? Are they soft or firm or what? I am curious if they are made of similiar material to heel cups I got that are silicone, they hurt like heck for me. I am curious too what kind of shoes do they work best in? I am pretty desperate for some kind of comfort so if you have any ideas let me know.

Thanks sweetie
Hugs
Carrie

Carmen H on 9/29/02 at 10:37 (096425)

I definitely had a great first week with my sdo's...but THEN the achiness and pain set in...it took about two weeks of my feet adjusting to the new walk, new feel and new support of these inserts. the achiness was just a tired feeling...like the muscles were relearning to work!
Hang in there it's worth it.

FH on 9/29/02 at 11:14 (096429)

pf almost resolved.
these orthotics are for life for me. i won't go back to this pf if i can prevent it this easily.

Mahatmelissama on 10/01/02 at 09:40 (096593)

Carrie, I highly recommend them. My right foot is doing so well, I feel sometimes like it is cured (but then it hurts if I push it too much and also I keep putting too much weight on it from my left foot). It too though will still act up after I stand in one place too long.

My left foot is still having a loooooooooooooooonnggg recovery but it is coming along. More flexibility...I can move my toes more on my left foot.

Besides the SDOs, I go to a Chiropractor who does everything he can to break up scar tissue. Sometimes it HURTS but I feel he is helping me too, besides the SDOs.

Peg on 10/01/02 at 12:12 (096601)

I may try these soon as I've been doing other research as well. But I'm curious if the SDO's are good for feet that over pronate. Thanks.

Mahatmelissama on 10/01/02 at 12:31 (096603)

I have these nice dainty Germanic HIGH arches (very pretty but PAINFUL feet), I walk on the outer ridges of my shoes.

Carmen H on 10/01/02 at 16:01 (096622)

yes good for pronation and supination too.
My feet feel great lately.

Carrie on 10/02/02 at 08:09 (096684)

Well I am glad they are helping you. i would love to know how they fit them for you? Do they come in sizes like shoes or what?

At this point I have spent so much money on shoes, boots, sandals, water shoes, and orthotics I am broke! HA! But I may give them a shot if nothing else pans out. I am getting my POD to give me new orthotics that are somewhat softer, but to be honest they don't seem that much softer so I am way skeptical about them helping much.

I am finding some relief with my new E-Stimulator machine, I hook up the pads and put them right on my heels and my achilles on the back of the foot and then treat for 45 minutes x2 a day. So far minimal relief, but somewhat. I find the Joseph Seibel shoes are really sweet for work. I am awaiting my new Mephistos, I got 2 pair, one was a closeout, for only $99 bucks the other the boots, for the snow here, are more like $270 but worth it I think.

I did find out that they do sell them near by me, the closest would be Jackson Hole Wyoming, then Salt Lake and Boise. So at least now I can get them somwhere besides the net. When spending that kind of cash it is a little scarey not trying them on first.

Well I am rambling a bit. Tell me honey, what do this Chiro do to break up scar tissue, please let me know.

Hugs
Carrie

Re: Dr. Richard Gohrman and his friendly tortue

Mahatmelissama on 10/02/02 at 09:41 (096704)

Carrie,

My chiro likes to tortue me. He looks like this big, affable, teddy bear with glasses. He sits down and talks to me about bar-be-ques, his wife being on Weight Watchers like me...asks me questions...I get yaking...and when I least expect it...HE GRABS ONE OF MY FEET AND PROCEEDS WITH THE TORTUE.

Most of the time, it is just mild ultrasound and then bending back my toes..and adjusting my feet. Last Friday though, I guess he felt I could take more...so he UPPED THE ULTRASOUND. The places I had scar tissue went from sore to HURTING. He did this to each foot. He then put gloves on, used biofreeze gel and deeply massaged my feet, one at a time. I got spams...one so bad I pulled my foot away from the good doctor and said 'Sorry! Muscle cramp.' He was quite pleased at how much I was able to take.

I did not sleep well the next night. Not only were some areas sore...but I also had fears that he used too much ultrasound and my feet were fried.

The next day, still a little sore.

Then Sunday, I WAS ABLE TO STAND AND CHAT TO PEOPLE at Fellowship. May not sound like a big deal, but to me, this is huge. I usually have to sit on the couch...and wait for people to come plop down and chat. I stood maybe 15-20 minutes chatting.

Yesterday, I went to Walgreens. I was fine. I started getting a little sore waiting at the counter in the Rx...but I found leaning on the counter helped me.

This morning, I was running extremely late. I took a shower not a bath...and was able to stand long enough to wash my hair. Mind you, the slope of the old tub is so much, I usually have to jump out or get a foot cramp at one point. I did fine...had some soreness but only at the end of my shower.

I have improved! I think the SDOs help...but the friendly tortue the chiro does and the foot massager I have at home help too. (I stick my foot on the vibrating heating foot massager right where scar tissue is and hold it there till I can't stand it sometimes).

I DO believe we get scar tissue in our feet and this aggravates the fascia, sort of like an ingrown hair...the skin is all irriated around it till you get all the hair out.

I hope this description helped.

PS: SDO have a money back guarentee for 6 months. Dr. Kiper is a mensch and would never rip you off. They are rather expensive but worth it.

Errol H on 10/07/02 at 20:30 (097043)

Folks: I've now had the SDO's for 18 months, after 4 years of excruciating pain that didn't respond to any other conservative therapy. I continue to have ~90% less pain, to the point that my PF no longer interferes with my daily activities. I used to run, but haven't resumed that yet. I think the SDO's work especially well for people with high arches, since they change shape as you walk (like your feet), unlike other 'soft' orthotics. I'd be happy to correspond with anyone who would like to email me. I don't check the heelspurs website very often anymore, since PF is no longer the focus of my life! You can read my posts by searching on 'silicone dynamic'. If you've tried everything else, you might as well try Dr. Kiper's money-back guaranteed SDO's!

Re: What is a "mensch" ????

BrianG on 10/08/02 at 16:25 (097096)

Hi Mahatme,

I hate to ask, but what does 'mensch' mean? My dictionary does not have it.

Regards
BrianG

Mahatmelissama on 10/08/02 at 17:42 (097104)

'Dr. Kiper is a mensch and would never rip you off. They are rather expensive but worth it.'

Definition from dictionary.com:

mensch or mensh Pronunciation Key (mnsh)
n. Informal pl. mensch·es or mensch·en (mnshn)
A person having admirable characteristics, such as fortitude and firmness of purpose: 'He radiates the kind of fundamental decency that has a name in Yiddish; he's a mensch' (James Atlas).

[Yiddish, human being, mensch, from Middle High German, human being, from Old High German mennisco. See man-1 in Indo-European Roots.]

---------------------------------------------------------------

I picked up the word from an old family friend. The word is Jewish and a lot of Jewish people use it to decribe warm, good-hearted men.

dave r on 10/09/02 at 08:31 (097126)

Whats your email address?

BrianG on 10/09/02 at 22:12 (097174)

Thanks.....BrianG

pala on 10/10/02 at 09:08 (097214)

a mensch would never do anything meshuganhah or feshumult or stir up a lot of mishagash. i don't know if i've spelled these correctly. yiddish was my mother's first language. when she was very old a cousin tape recorded her for a school project because yiddish is a dying language (according to the cousin)

RACHAEL T. on 9/27/02 at 18:07 (096355)

I am still having some transitionary pain - (I hope that it is just that) w/ the SDO's. They felt soo comfy initially but after 4 days, they began to make my feet ache more - w/ overall soreness. I do think Dr. K is helpful & wanting to do the correct thing....he is now trying to make an adjustment for 1 foot which maybe may help. That is my SDO update.....I am wondering how long it took for the transitionary period to cease with you & with others who wear SDO's & hope to hear from you asap regarding this time span. Thanks!

Carrie on 9/28/02 at 21:07 (096413)

Carmen

What are the SDO's like? Are they soft or firm or what? I am curious if they are made of similiar material to heel cups I got that are silicone, they hurt like heck for me. I am curious too what kind of shoes do they work best in? I am pretty desperate for some kind of comfort so if you have any ideas let me know.

Thanks sweetie
Hugs
Carrie

Carmen H on 9/29/02 at 10:37 (096425)

I definitely had a great first week with my sdo's...but THEN the achiness and pain set in...it took about two weeks of my feet adjusting to the new walk, new feel and new support of these inserts. the achiness was just a tired feeling...like the muscles were relearning to work!
Hang in there it's worth it.

FH on 9/29/02 at 11:14 (096429)

pf almost resolved.
these orthotics are for life for me. i won't go back to this pf if i can prevent it this easily.

Mahatmelissama on 10/01/02 at 09:40 (096593)

Carrie, I highly recommend them. My right foot is doing so well, I feel sometimes like it is cured (but then it hurts if I push it too much and also I keep putting too much weight on it from my left foot). It too though will still act up after I stand in one place too long.

My left foot is still having a loooooooooooooooonnggg recovery but it is coming along. More flexibility...I can move my toes more on my left foot.

Besides the SDOs, I go to a Chiropractor who does everything he can to break up scar tissue. Sometimes it HURTS but I feel he is helping me too, besides the SDOs.

Peg on 10/01/02 at 12:12 (096601)

I may try these soon as I've been doing other research as well. But I'm curious if the SDO's are good for feet that over pronate. Thanks.

Mahatmelissama on 10/01/02 at 12:31 (096603)

I have these nice dainty Germanic HIGH arches (very pretty but PAINFUL feet), I walk on the outer ridges of my shoes.

Carmen H on 10/01/02 at 16:01 (096622)

yes good for pronation and supination too.
My feet feel great lately.

Carrie on 10/02/02 at 08:09 (096684)

Well I am glad they are helping you. i would love to know how they fit them for you? Do they come in sizes like shoes or what?

At this point I have spent so much money on shoes, boots, sandals, water shoes, and orthotics I am broke! HA! But I may give them a shot if nothing else pans out. I am getting my POD to give me new orthotics that are somewhat softer, but to be honest they don't seem that much softer so I am way skeptical about them helping much.

I am finding some relief with my new E-Stimulator machine, I hook up the pads and put them right on my heels and my achilles on the back of the foot and then treat for 45 minutes x2 a day. So far minimal relief, but somewhat. I find the Joseph Seibel shoes are really sweet for work. I am awaiting my new Mephistos, I got 2 pair, one was a closeout, for only $99 bucks the other the boots, for the snow here, are more like $270 but worth it I think.

I did find out that they do sell them near by me, the closest would be Jackson Hole Wyoming, then Salt Lake and Boise. So at least now I can get them somwhere besides the net. When spending that kind of cash it is a little scarey not trying them on first.

Well I am rambling a bit. Tell me honey, what do this Chiro do to break up scar tissue, please let me know.

Hugs
Carrie

Re: Dr. Richard Gohrman and his friendly tortue

Mahatmelissama on 10/02/02 at 09:41 (096704)

Carrie,

My chiro likes to tortue me. He looks like this big, affable, teddy bear with glasses. He sits down and talks to me about bar-be-ques, his wife being on Weight Watchers like me...asks me questions...I get yaking...and when I least expect it...HE GRABS ONE OF MY FEET AND PROCEEDS WITH THE TORTUE.

Most of the time, it is just mild ultrasound and then bending back my toes..and adjusting my feet. Last Friday though, I guess he felt I could take more...so he UPPED THE ULTRASOUND. The places I had scar tissue went from sore to HURTING. He did this to each foot. He then put gloves on, used biofreeze gel and deeply massaged my feet, one at a time. I got spams...one so bad I pulled my foot away from the good doctor and said 'Sorry! Muscle cramp.' He was quite pleased at how much I was able to take.

I did not sleep well the next night. Not only were some areas sore...but I also had fears that he used too much ultrasound and my feet were fried.

The next day, still a little sore.

Then Sunday, I WAS ABLE TO STAND AND CHAT TO PEOPLE at Fellowship. May not sound like a big deal, but to me, this is huge. I usually have to sit on the couch...and wait for people to come plop down and chat. I stood maybe 15-20 minutes chatting.

Yesterday, I went to Walgreens. I was fine. I started getting a little sore waiting at the counter in the Rx...but I found leaning on the counter helped me.

This morning, I was running extremely late. I took a shower not a bath...and was able to stand long enough to wash my hair. Mind you, the slope of the old tub is so much, I usually have to jump out or get a foot cramp at one point. I did fine...had some soreness but only at the end of my shower.

I have improved! I think the SDOs help...but the friendly tortue the chiro does and the foot massager I have at home help too. (I stick my foot on the vibrating heating foot massager right where scar tissue is and hold it there till I can't stand it sometimes).

I DO believe we get scar tissue in our feet and this aggravates the fascia, sort of like an ingrown hair...the skin is all irriated around it till you get all the hair out.

I hope this description helped.

PS: SDO have a money back guarentee for 6 months. Dr. Kiper is a mensch and would never rip you off. They are rather expensive but worth it.

Errol H on 10/07/02 at 20:30 (097043)

Folks: I've now had the SDO's for 18 months, after 4 years of excruciating pain that didn't respond to any other conservative therapy. I continue to have ~90% less pain, to the point that my PF no longer interferes with my daily activities. I used to run, but haven't resumed that yet. I think the SDO's work especially well for people with high arches, since they change shape as you walk (like your feet), unlike other 'soft' orthotics. I'd be happy to correspond with anyone who would like to email me. I don't check the heelspurs website very often anymore, since PF is no longer the focus of my life! You can read my posts by searching on 'silicone dynamic'. If you've tried everything else, you might as well try Dr. Kiper's money-back guaranteed SDO's!

BrianG on 10/08/02 at 16:25 (097096)

Hi Mahatme,

I hate to ask, but what does 'mensch' mean? My dictionary does not have it.

Regards
BrianG

Mahatmelissama on 10/08/02 at 17:42 (097104)

'Dr. Kiper is a mensch and would never rip you off. They are rather expensive but worth it.'

Definition from dictionary.com:

mensch or mensh Pronunciation Key (mnsh)
n. Informal pl. mensch·es or mensch·en (mnshn)
A person having admirable characteristics, such as fortitude and firmness of purpose: 'He radiates the kind of fundamental decency that has a name in Yiddish; he's a mensch' (James Atlas).

[Yiddish, human being, mensch, from Middle High German, human being, from Old High German mennisco. See man-1 in Indo-European Roots.]

---------------------------------------------------------------

I picked up the word from an old family friend. The word is Jewish and a lot of Jewish people use it to decribe warm, good-hearted men.

dave r on 10/09/02 at 08:31 (097126)

Whats your email address?

BrianG on 10/09/02 at 22:12 (097174)

Thanks.....BrianG

pala on 10/10/02 at 09:08 (097214)

a mensch would never do anything meshuganhah or feshumult or stir up a lot of mishagash. i don't know if i've spelled these correctly. yiddish was my mother's first language. when she was very old a cousin tape recorded her for a school project because yiddish is a dying language (according to the cousin)