Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

shoe question

Posted by Ellen J. on 9/27/02 at 17:21 (096353)

Hi all,
For some reason my feet don't like orthotics and the pressure they exert on the arches. My feet seem most comfortable walking barefoot on carpet or in cushioned footbeds with very soft orthotics. I just can't understand my feet, and I know it's not normal among P.F. patients for my feet to dislike much arch support.
Anyway, does anyone know of any brands or models of shoes that have a very cushiony footbed and that are mostly flat without much heel? Right now I'm using Born shoes which are great but am hoping to find a different pair since these are getting worn out.
Thanks for any suggestions if anyone has thoughts on this. My feet are very confusing to me.
Ellen J.

Re: shoe question

nancy s. on 9/27/02 at 17:30 (096354)

hi ellen,

actually, i don't know that it's so abnormal among pf patients for the feet to dislike much arch support. i think this issue goes all over the map. mine don't like much arch either, so i was never able to wear even what i consider a great pair of orthotics that were very well casted and well made for me by an orthotist.

i love birks, although the regular, very firm footbed suits me better than it sounds like it would suit you. have you considered the soft-footbed birks? i have a couple pairs of those for unusual days, and they're very different from regular birks -- much softer and more cushiony and giving in the heel. the german website lists which styles come in soft footbed. i have the bostons and montereys in soft footbed, but i know there are others as well.

hope this helps.

nancy

Ellen J. on 9/27/02 at 19:08 (096359)

Hi Nancy,
I can't wear regualar Birks due to the hard footbed (as you guessed). However, I didn't know that Birks came with soft footbeds also.As long as they don't have too much arch, they may work. I'll look around in our stores for those--thanks for the suggestion.
I'm looking for shoes where the footbed is so soft it's like walking on a mattress. I figure such shoes exist but don't know where to look. When I go around trying on shoes I usually end up with sore feet for a few days after so am hoping to be able to go right to a particular shoe based on suggestion.
Thanks for the idea, and I'll check out those Birks.
Ellen J.

wendyn on 9/27/02 at 23:28 (096370)

Birks makes a soft footbed sandal that you might like. It doesn't offer me enough support now, but when my feet were very bad - I really liked the cushioning.

The standard footbed on a Birk is rock hard - I don't think you'd like that - make sure you find the soft foot bed ones.

Ellen J. on 9/28/02 at 09:06 (096373)

Hi Wendyn.
Thanks! Another suggestion to try out the soft Birk footbeds. I've always wanted to try wearing Birks but couldn't, due to the hard footbed and maybe now is my chance--as long as the arch isn't too high in the footbed.
If it works, I'll let people on this message board know.
Thanks again!
Ellen

john h on 9/28/02 at 10:48 (096381)

Ellen: You might take a look at some of the Mesphito sandals. They have a soft bed with an orthotic type bed. They also have a little higher heel lift. They do not come cheap but take a look or better yet try some on. i think there web site is http://www.mesphisto.com

john h on 9/28/02 at 10:52 (096382)

my url did not work so try this one:
http://www.mephistogreatlakes.com/sandals-w.jsp

Suzanne D on 9/28/02 at 17:26 (096393)

Hi, Ellen. I can't wear the hard footbed Birks, but I do wear the Arizonas and Bostons in the soft footbed style. I am no expert on Birks, but from what I have read in the catalogs and on-line, the soft footbed has a lower arch than some of the others. I have medium to high arches, but the soft footbed still works for me. The arch support is there, but it isn't extremely high. Now as to the footbeds being like 'walking on a mattress' as you said you wished for, they aren't that soft. But when you compare them to the regular Birks, they are much softer.

It would really be helpful if you could find a store where you could actually try them on. But if you can't, then many places will allow returns if you order on-line or from a catalog.

Good luck to you!
Suzanne :-)

Ellen J. on 9/28/02 at 18:37 (096399)

Hi Suzanne,
We do have a few stores around here that carry Birks, and I'll have to look into the Arizonas and Bostons, which I have not tried.
Thanks for that suggestion and I'll try them on first. The way I prevent 'shoe-try-on-pain' is to just stand in a pair of new shoes while in the store. If I can feel any pressure points anywhere on my foot, then I don't even bother walking in them since that causes the feet to flare up. I'll do my little test on the brands you mentioned.
Thanks!
Ellen

Ellen J. on 9/28/02 at 18:41 (096400)

Hi John,
Thanks for the link. I took a look at the women's sandals ( thanks for bringing me right to the women's dept.) and they look pretty nice. Some look a bit like Birks and I do notice they are a bit higher in the heel. Since we have stores that carry those I'll try some.
Thanks again for the link,
Ellen

Carrie on 9/28/02 at 20:59 (096410)

I highly recomend that you should try the Mephisto and also Joseph Seibel Shoes would be great for you if like a softer yet supportive shoe. I love these allot, the Mephistos do not come cheap and they do tend to run narrow so if you have a wide foot I am not sure how they would be for you, but they are cute and comfy. Much better than anything else I have tried. I wish I would have ordered a half size bigger as I have to exchange them. I found a site that ships overnight free(I am sure the price is built in though) I will add the link here in the end of this email. I guess this is proof too that we are all individual as I find the arch support of hard birkies to be wonderful for me.

Take care
http://www.mephistonextday.com/showshoes .

Re: Link

Carrie on 9/28/02 at 21:00 (096411)

My link didn't work in that other email let me try it again
http://www.mephistonextday.com/showshoes.cfm?cat=women%27s%20sandals%20and%20clogs

Carrie on 9/28/02 at 21:01 (096412)

Shoot I don't know why this link isn't working. If you want to email me I can send you the page.

Hugs
carrie
http://www.mephistonextday.com/showshoes.cfm?cat=women%27s%20sandals%20and%20clogs

john h on 9/29/02 at 10:09 (096422)

Ellen: Also look at the men's sandals. They have one that looks like an Airizona which I have and perhaps it oomes in your size. It seems unisex to me. Also free shipping and I bet they accept returns.

Kathy G on 9/30/02 at 09:42 (096514)

Ellen,

Don't rule out sandals with soft enough beds for you if they are comfortable and the only problem is the arch being too high. Find a cobbler in your area and see if he can adjust the arch. In a city near me, we have a cobbler who sells Birks and he told me he often customizes them to suit his customers. Perhaps your Pod would know of someone similar in your area. Otherwise, you could try the yellow pages and see if you can find someone who sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Unfortunately, in our throw-away society, cobblers are becoming a thing of the past, but there are still some out there!

Good luck. I have custom (hard)Birks and when I wear them for more than 30 minutes, I feel as though the soles of my feet are black and blue. I've never tried the softer ones - maybe I should!

Ellen J. on 10/01/02 at 20:35 (096649)

Hi John.
I'll check out the men's version. For some reason I never thought to look at men's sandals, though it makes alot of sense to check them out. Good idea!
Ellen

Ellen J. on 10/01/02 at 20:38 (096650)

Hi Carrie,
I tried posting a link a few days ago and the same thing happened when I tried. However, when I posted another link after that, it worked so I can't figure out why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
Anyway, thank you for trying and what I'll do is just use a search engine and check out the shoes/sandals you mentioned.
It was nice of you to try posting the link.
Ellen

john h on 10/02/02 at 08:15 (096686)

As a matter of fact you can order custom Birks with the bed customized to your foot.

Carrie on 10/02/02 at 08:18 (096687)

Ellen,

In trying to be helpful I was in error, Forget about the earth shoes, they suck for us PF sufferers, Ed was right on about that. Funny how they can feel so good for a few hours, then hurt like hell.

Stick with Mephisto if you are looking for an awesome sandal. They even have some cool ones for dressing up. I needed something that I could wear to Church or out to dinner ya know what I mean? Also we are going on a 7 day cruise to the Caribean and I needed some for night time. And yes, believe it or not you can look good and be pretty comfy too in these shoes.

hugs
Carrie

john h on 10/02/02 at 08:45 (096692)

Ellen: I have been wearing the Mephisto that has two straps and looks like a Birk Airizona. It has a bed similiar to a birk but is soft. The heel is also higher which I think could be beneficial. It sure looks unisex to me and the cost I think was around $130. The Shark which I tried on I was very impressed with but at $225 did no buy it. I may go back and buy it soon as I do like the Mephisto I currently wear. Many of the Mephisto do not have the orthotic type foot bed so do not expect all those shoes and sandals you observed on the site to have a soft orthotic foot bed. I do switch back to the Birk every now and then. For the most part I wear these in summer and winter except when it is raining or snowing. Still walk in the New Balance 854 with the Footmax orthortic which has been the only one I could tolerate. Judy does better without orthotics than with as do some other people. I just have not given it a fair shot. I do suspect that a misfitted orthotic is worse than no orthotic at all. I have read many articles including the latest consuumer report that just the cheap old Spencos will add a lot to your comfort in your walking shoes.

Re: Deb--can you re-post your note?

Ellen J. on 10/02/02 at 09:22 (096699)

The above letter was written by me, but it was posted with Deb's name on it.
I am interested to hear what Deb really had to say, so I'm hoping Deb can re-post so we can hear.
Hope it comes through correctly,
Ellen

Ellen J. on 10/02/02 at 09:28 (096702)

I've seen the Spencos and they are very nice. I love my 'Body Cushion' insoles so have'nt moved over to the Spencos, but will if I can't find more of my favorites.
It's worth spending the 225.00 for the Mephistos if they end up helping your feet. Probably cheaper than all the doctor bills from those docs that couldn't help. They are expensive though, aren't they?
Am about to try a sports medicine / chiropractor today for my latest experiment with doctors.
Ellen

pala on 10/02/02 at 11:19 (096718)

where?

Re: shoe question- I like Merrells the best

Shaira on 10/05/02 at 23:10 (096957)

You can find merrells here http://www.merrellboot.com/

I can't wear any other type of shoes. And I'm not wearing orthotics, and if you read my other posts, I am walking about 1 1/2 hours a day with my dear hubby, up and down hills (I live in SF).

PF has never gone away but it has gotten less or more depending on the day and the hour and the weather.

Re: P.F. ups and downs

Pauline on 10/06/02 at 10:25 (096975)

Shaira,
Your last statement is interesting and might go along with something that Dr. Reynolds had mentioned in the past connecting P.F. and the immune system. I've noticed my P.F. definitely reacting at stressfull times, then I would up my use of his Jade Cream and it would calm down again.

Although not exactly the same, you state your case getting less or more depending on the day, hour and weather. Stress might also have factored into that as well on those days.

I think John might have also mentioned something similar. Perhaps P.F.'s connection to our immune system deserves more study.

nancy s. on 9/27/02 at 17:30 (096354)

hi ellen,

actually, i don't know that it's so abnormal among pf patients for the feet to dislike much arch support. i think this issue goes all over the map. mine don't like much arch either, so i was never able to wear even what i consider a great pair of orthotics that were very well casted and well made for me by an orthotist.

i love birks, although the regular, very firm footbed suits me better than it sounds like it would suit you. have you considered the soft-footbed birks? i have a couple pairs of those for unusual days, and they're very different from regular birks -- much softer and more cushiony and giving in the heel. the german website lists which styles come in soft footbed. i have the bostons and montereys in soft footbed, but i know there are others as well.

hope this helps.

nancy

Ellen J. on 9/27/02 at 19:08 (096359)

Hi Nancy,
I can't wear regualar Birks due to the hard footbed (as you guessed). However, I didn't know that Birks came with soft footbeds also.As long as they don't have too much arch, they may work. I'll look around in our stores for those--thanks for the suggestion.
I'm looking for shoes where the footbed is so soft it's like walking on a mattress. I figure such shoes exist but don't know where to look. When I go around trying on shoes I usually end up with sore feet for a few days after so am hoping to be able to go right to a particular shoe based on suggestion.
Thanks for the idea, and I'll check out those Birks.
Ellen J.

wendyn on 9/27/02 at 23:28 (096370)

Birks makes a soft footbed sandal that you might like. It doesn't offer me enough support now, but when my feet were very bad - I really liked the cushioning.

The standard footbed on a Birk is rock hard - I don't think you'd like that - make sure you find the soft foot bed ones.

Ellen J. on 9/28/02 at 09:06 (096373)

Hi Wendyn.
Thanks! Another suggestion to try out the soft Birk footbeds. I've always wanted to try wearing Birks but couldn't, due to the hard footbed and maybe now is my chance--as long as the arch isn't too high in the footbed.
If it works, I'll let people on this message board know.
Thanks again!
Ellen

john h on 9/28/02 at 10:48 (096381)

Ellen: You might take a look at some of the Mesphito sandals. They have a soft bed with an orthotic type bed. They also have a little higher heel lift. They do not come cheap but take a look or better yet try some on. i think there web site is http://www.mesphisto.com

john h on 9/28/02 at 10:52 (096382)

my url did not work so try this one:
http://www.mephistogreatlakes.com/sandals-w.jsp

Suzanne D on 9/28/02 at 17:26 (096393)

Hi, Ellen. I can't wear the hard footbed Birks, but I do wear the Arizonas and Bostons in the soft footbed style. I am no expert on Birks, but from what I have read in the catalogs and on-line, the soft footbed has a lower arch than some of the others. I have medium to high arches, but the soft footbed still works for me. The arch support is there, but it isn't extremely high. Now as to the footbeds being like 'walking on a mattress' as you said you wished for, they aren't that soft. But when you compare them to the regular Birks, they are much softer.

It would really be helpful if you could find a store where you could actually try them on. But if you can't, then many places will allow returns if you order on-line or from a catalog.

Good luck to you!
Suzanne :-)

Ellen J. on 9/28/02 at 18:37 (096399)

Hi Suzanne,
We do have a few stores around here that carry Birks, and I'll have to look into the Arizonas and Bostons, which I have not tried.
Thanks for that suggestion and I'll try them on first. The way I prevent 'shoe-try-on-pain' is to just stand in a pair of new shoes while in the store. If I can feel any pressure points anywhere on my foot, then I don't even bother walking in them since that causes the feet to flare up. I'll do my little test on the brands you mentioned.
Thanks!
Ellen

Ellen J. on 9/28/02 at 18:41 (096400)

Hi John,
Thanks for the link. I took a look at the women's sandals ( thanks for bringing me right to the women's dept.) and they look pretty nice. Some look a bit like Birks and I do notice they are a bit higher in the heel. Since we have stores that carry those I'll try some.
Thanks again for the link,
Ellen

Carrie on 9/28/02 at 20:59 (096410)

I highly recomend that you should try the Mephisto and also Joseph Seibel Shoes would be great for you if like a softer yet supportive shoe. I love these allot, the Mephistos do not come cheap and they do tend to run narrow so if you have a wide foot I am not sure how they would be for you, but they are cute and comfy. Much better than anything else I have tried. I wish I would have ordered a half size bigger as I have to exchange them. I found a site that ships overnight free(I am sure the price is built in though) I will add the link here in the end of this email. I guess this is proof too that we are all individual as I find the arch support of hard birkies to be wonderful for me.

Take care
http://www.mephistonextday.com/showshoes .

Carrie on 9/28/02 at 21:00 (096411)

My link didn't work in that other email let me try it again

Carrie on 9/28/02 at 21:01 (096412)

Shoot I don't know why this link isn't working. If you want to email me I can send you the page.

Hugs
carrie

john h on 9/29/02 at 10:09 (096422)

Ellen: Also look at the men's sandals. They have one that looks like an Airizona which I have and perhaps it oomes in your size. It seems unisex to me. Also free shipping and I bet they accept returns.

Kathy G on 9/30/02 at 09:42 (096514)

Ellen,

Don't rule out sandals with soft enough beds for you if they are comfortable and the only problem is the arch being too high. Find a cobbler in your area and see if he can adjust the arch. In a city near me, we have a cobbler who sells Birks and he told me he often customizes them to suit his customers. Perhaps your Pod would know of someone similar in your area. Otherwise, you could try the yellow pages and see if you can find someone who sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Unfortunately, in our throw-away society, cobblers are becoming a thing of the past, but there are still some out there!

Good luck. I have custom (hard)Birks and when I wear them for more than 30 minutes, I feel as though the soles of my feet are black and blue. I've never tried the softer ones - maybe I should!

Ellen J. on 10/01/02 at 20:35 (096649)

Hi John.
I'll check out the men's version. For some reason I never thought to look at men's sandals, though it makes alot of sense to check them out. Good idea!
Ellen

Ellen J. on 10/01/02 at 20:38 (096650)

Hi Carrie,
I tried posting a link a few days ago and the same thing happened when I tried. However, when I posted another link after that, it worked so I can't figure out why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
Anyway, thank you for trying and what I'll do is just use a search engine and check out the shoes/sandals you mentioned.
It was nice of you to try posting the link.
Ellen

john h on 10/02/02 at 08:15 (096686)

As a matter of fact you can order custom Birks with the bed customized to your foot.

Carrie on 10/02/02 at 08:18 (096687)

Ellen,

In trying to be helpful I was in error, Forget about the earth shoes, they suck for us PF sufferers, Ed was right on about that. Funny how they can feel so good for a few hours, then hurt like hell.

Stick with Mephisto if you are looking for an awesome sandal. They even have some cool ones for dressing up. I needed something that I could wear to Church or out to dinner ya know what I mean? Also we are going on a 7 day cruise to the Caribean and I needed some for night time. And yes, believe it or not you can look good and be pretty comfy too in these shoes.

hugs
Carrie

john h on 10/02/02 at 08:45 (096692)

Ellen: I have been wearing the Mephisto that has two straps and looks like a Birk Airizona. It has a bed similiar to a birk but is soft. The heel is also higher which I think could be beneficial. It sure looks unisex to me and the cost I think was around $130. The Shark which I tried on I was very impressed with but at $225 did no buy it. I may go back and buy it soon as I do like the Mephisto I currently wear. Many of the Mephisto do not have the orthotic type foot bed so do not expect all those shoes and sandals you observed on the site to have a soft orthotic foot bed. I do switch back to the Birk every now and then. For the most part I wear these in summer and winter except when it is raining or snowing. Still walk in the New Balance 854 with the Footmax orthortic which has been the only one I could tolerate. Judy does better without orthotics than with as do some other people. I just have not given it a fair shot. I do suspect that a misfitted orthotic is worse than no orthotic at all. I have read many articles including the latest consuumer report that just the cheap old Spencos will add a lot to your comfort in your walking shoes.

Re: Deb--can you re-post your note?

Ellen J. on 10/02/02 at 09:22 (096699)

The above letter was written by me, but it was posted with Deb's name on it.
I am interested to hear what Deb really had to say, so I'm hoping Deb can re-post so we can hear.
Hope it comes through correctly,
Ellen

Ellen J. on 10/02/02 at 09:28 (096702)

I've seen the Spencos and they are very nice. I love my 'Body Cushion' insoles so have'nt moved over to the Spencos, but will if I can't find more of my favorites.
It's worth spending the 225.00 for the Mephistos if they end up helping your feet. Probably cheaper than all the doctor bills from those docs that couldn't help. They are expensive though, aren't they?
Am about to try a sports medicine / chiropractor today for my latest experiment with doctors.
Ellen

pala on 10/02/02 at 11:19 (096718)

where?

Re: shoe question- I like Merrells the best

Shaira on 10/05/02 at 23:10 (096957)

You can find merrells here http://www.merrellboot.com/

I can't wear any other type of shoes. And I'm not wearing orthotics, and if you read my other posts, I am walking about 1 1/2 hours a day with my dear hubby, up and down hills (I live in SF).

PF has never gone away but it has gotten less or more depending on the day and the hour and the weather.

Re: P.F. ups and downs

Pauline on 10/06/02 at 10:25 (096975)

Shaira,
Your last statement is interesting and might go along with something that Dr. Reynolds had mentioned in the past connecting P.F. and the immune system. I've noticed my P.F. definitely reacting at stressfull times, then I would up my use of his Jade Cream and it would calm down again.

Although not exactly the same, you state your case getting less or more depending on the day, hour and weather. Stress might also have factored into that as well on those days.

I think John might have also mentioned something similar. Perhaps P.F.'s connection to our immune system deserves more study.