Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

There IS a CURE FOR PF!!!!!!!!

Posted by Michael Smith on 9/28/02 at 07:35 (096372)

I wanted to post this a few months ago but I really forgot to come here everytime I was on my computer. When I suffered from really bad PF about a year ago I used to come here everyday looking for help. But when I read all the sob stories and no good stories of complete cures I used to get discouraged. Let me tell you all something right now : The reason you don't see many stories of complete success is because once you get cured you forget about this place and just go on with your life. So, all your left with here is the people who are still suffering with horror stories. Don't get discouraged. There is a cure for peoples PF.

I got PF about a year and half ago and tried the usual.. got cortizone shots (which helped the first time for like two weeks, then the second time it didnt help at all), I used the nightsplint but it would hurt halway through the night and I would take if off, I bought the expensive orthodics but they hurt my heels worse than the PF (too hard for all day walking like I have to do), I went on the anti-inflamitories, did the stretching exorcises, read everything on the net, etc.

Well, after a year long bout with this stupid PF I fixed it. It's hard to pinpoint which thing helped me the most but I'll try. First the nightsplint was a huge big key. I used to kick it off every night after a few hours because it was discomorfting.. I would wake up after a few hours and feel great preassure in my foot, like my toes were trying to stretch against the splint. But then I said F it.. i'm gonna leave this thing on.. and if my foot explodes, it explodes. I woke up many time during that night but I just turned over and took the pain. I felt a bit better in the morning.. so I did this every night.. until it got ez to sleep in.. then I would increase the splints power by putting a sock under my toes to further stretch the foot. This hurt at first and was tuff to get thru the night but i did it. Now.. i can use it whenever and no pain nothing. I feel this was huge.. and that using it all night was important.

The second thing I did was get SMALLER SHOES. I for some reason was getting a sneaker size that was like 1.5 sizes too big for me. So I went to a size that was .5 smaller than what I take. This hurt also for a bit while my foot stretched out the sneaker.. but it helped my PF immensly. It basically did the same thing that a good wrap does by holding the heel all together tightly.. took the PF pain almost totally away. I also stopped using the stupid orthodics.. what a waste. I bought these great sneakers from target of all places (25 bucks!) .. they have 2 rolls of air pockets under the shoes.. that keep u elevated on them.. really cool, seemed to help A LOT!

The last thin I did was WALK DIFFERENT. I am A HUGE BELIEVER that this PF is caused from what I call LAZY WALK. I walk all day and about 2 years ago developed a lazy walk to make my walkn easier. that is.. i stopped bending my knees as much and came down heel first and rolled the foot thru and lead off on the toes.. but the toes werent bent much.. ya know, like a goose sep (nazi) type thing.. but not real apparent.. just sorta. Anyway, I made a VERY CONSIOUS.. THINKING EVERY STEP.. effort.. to change my walk totally. I now walk high knees type of thing.. and come down less on the back of my heels (like i did with the lazy walk) and more on the center to front part of the heels and i dont roll my foot, i sort of press my foot down and lead off with the big toe pressing hard into the ground... Almost raising me on my toes. It was hard at first but now its natural.. THIS IS HUGE .. VERY IMPORTANT.

Some days when im off from work a few days.. i might feel a slight twinge of feeling in my heel (not pain, but tightness, like it could develop back into PF if i dont do something) and i just remember to WALK RIGHT and everything is fine. See when im off and sit home i forget sometimes HOW TO WALK CORRECT. Its very important.. every step lead off with toe pressing into ground. I wish i could draw picture.

Anyway, i did a lot of research and those are the 3 things that helped me cure my PF. And I had PF bad.. doc wanted to operate, etc. Went to 2 opinions of docs, read everthing, etc. And this is a short form of what i did. Sorry its so short buy im late for work and wanted to type this in.. cause like I said at first.. when someone fixes their pf they dont come back here.. cant tell u how many times the past few months i said.. ya know, i wanna go back in there and tell those people that there is hope, but then u forget cause u dont think about the pf.

Lastly, its a concious effort and takes pain.. but u can do it. Must think every step.. and use that splint.. and get those smaller sneaks.

Re: There IS a CURE FOR PF!!!!!!!!

BrianJ on 9/28/02 at 09:51 (096374)

Michael --

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. I'm glad you've found relief, and I hope that others here can benefit from your ideas.

pala on 9/28/02 at 10:09 (096376)

thanks for coming back here michael. i hope you keep us posted from time to time. i will try your ideas.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/28/02 at 12:14 (096387)

Michael:

Thank you for sharing your success story. Glad you did not go for the surgery.

This is a great post as you have made a number of excellent observations.
This board has a lot of posters with tough cases of PF so readers may get the impression that posters here represent a representative cross section of PF sufferers -- they do not.

The manner in which you describe how you conciously changed your gait is interesting. You are basically making sure that your midtarsal joint is completely pronated before you push off on your big toe. There is a lot of focus on subtalar joint (rearfoot) overpronation as a culprit but many forget that midtarsal joint (forefoot) oversupination is the other half of the problem that must be addressed. One dilemna is that very few prefab orthotics address the midtarsal joint and fabricators of custom orthotics may pay inadequate attention to that area.
Ed

Jim C on 9/28/02 at 14:13 (096390)

Nice post, and you makes some very good points about the overall negative vibes here at this site, we all seem to be more motivated to post when we are hurting.
Your comments on the the night splint make alot of sence, after all no pain no gain. For me, this plays real close to overall stretching. I have been aggressively stretching for the past weeks by sitting with legs out stretched and doing toe touches, I can now interlock my fingers around the balls of my feet...hurts like hell but feels oh so good when I'm done. I can actually be completly pain free for about 20 minutes after stretching, so for me, this is proof positive that stretching is a big part of the cure and this plays right in to your comments on the night splint. I read on another site that we lose everything and prolong the condition when we rest/sleep with with our feet in the pointed down/relaxed position.
As far as your comments on smaller shoe sizes, I kind of stumbled into this on my own. I notice when I wore a thicker pair of socks, well, it just felt better. So I started wearing two pairs of socks which would problaly have the same effect as a smaller shoe size and certainly cheaper. The biggest thing I noticed is my feet are much less fatigued at the end of the day.
You completly lost me on the lazy walking thing. I'm not even sure of what I was trying to do, but to your credit, I have been conscience of stepping off with my big toe and it does feel more stable/positive. I myself, and I'm sure others on this site, would deeply appreciate a more detailed account of your ideas on walking.
My experience with custom orthotics also has a been a compete waste of time and money. My $300 inserts are sitting in my cubert collecting dust, I'm completly convinced they actually aggravated my condition. I'm sure that people with severe flat feet and other abnormalties would benifit from them but for me they were not helpful.
Again, great post!!! We do need more postive feed back on this site, I think we all have some little triumph or positive that we could post about. It's just so discouriging read about someone who has had PF for 8 years and its getting worse, but I do understand their need for support and advice.
Before I would proclaim a cure for PF I think one would certainly have to address the underlying biomechanical flaws that cause PF such as bad shoes, being overwieght, flat feet, ect ect. I think a good pair of supportive shoes are essential, I doubt if anyone has gotten over this condition by continuing to wear high heels.

Jim

Ellen J. on 9/28/02 at 18:46 (096401)

Hi Michael,
I too would like a more detailed description of the way you walk. I'm interested, because when my P.F. was really bad, I found that it felt better (or worse) if I changed how I walked. Therefore, maybe you can tell us even more about your method?
Ellen

Re: I believe this WORKS

Paul L. on 9/28/02 at 19:26 (096404)

I have been doing exercises to strengthen my foot muscles and learning how to walk correctly. Since I started doing this, I feel I am making progress. Less pain in the morning and less pain when I walk. Out of all the postings I have read, this seems to work for people.

Leon S. on 9/28/02 at 20:14 (096405)

I have also noticed that when I wear sweat socks in certain walking shoes and lace them up firmly, I feel more comfortable. Obviously, it's the firmer support around the foot that is doing the job.

Carrie on 9/28/02 at 20:51 (096409)

Hey thank you for writting and taking the time to tell us a good hopeful story! I agree this place can get to ya after awhile. I am always looking to hear positive stories and I know your right that people go away when they get better, I mean you get on with life, no doubt,I feel that you have some interesting thoughts and appreciate it allot
Hugs
Carrie

pala on 9/28/02 at 22:11 (096416)

what is a midtarsal joint? where is it?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/29/02 at 13:34 (096433)

Pala:

The midtarsal joint is approximately at the midpoint of the foot. Anatomy is something that needs to be visualized so if you need more information, I would encourage you to obtain an anatomy book from your local library.
Ed

Kim R. on 9/29/02 at 15:31 (096450)

I think since I have forced myself to quit limping, I am actually getting better. I had this strange gait that had developed as a result of my weak ankle and pf pain. My podiatrist told me to walk 2 or 3 miles and not limp. It actually felt good to walk normal and not place too much weight on the other poor leg. Maybe this is the same concept. I actually jogged 2 miles today with no pain, but I concentrate all day on NOT LIMPING. Maybe forcing ourselves to walk correctly is a good idea.

BrianJ on 9/28/02 at 09:51 (096374)

Michael --

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. I'm glad you've found relief, and I hope that others here can benefit from your ideas.

pala on 9/28/02 at 10:09 (096376)

thanks for coming back here michael. i hope you keep us posted from time to time. i will try your ideas.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/28/02 at 12:14 (096387)

Michael:

Thank you for sharing your success story. Glad you did not go for the surgery.

This is a great post as you have made a number of excellent observations.
This board has a lot of posters with tough cases of PF so readers may get the impression that posters here represent a representative cross section of PF sufferers -- they do not.

The manner in which you describe how you conciously changed your gait is interesting. You are basically making sure that your midtarsal joint is completely pronated before you push off on your big toe. There is a lot of focus on subtalar joint (rearfoot) overpronation as a culprit but many forget that midtarsal joint (forefoot) oversupination is the other half of the problem that must be addressed. One dilemna is that very few prefab orthotics address the midtarsal joint and fabricators of custom orthotics may pay inadequate attention to that area.
Ed

Jim C on 9/28/02 at 14:13 (096390)

Nice post, and you makes some very good points about the overall negative vibes here at this site, we all seem to be more motivated to post when we are hurting.
Your comments on the the night splint make alot of sence, after all no pain no gain. For me, this plays real close to overall stretching. I have been aggressively stretching for the past weeks by sitting with legs out stretched and doing toe touches, I can now interlock my fingers around the balls of my feet...hurts like hell but feels oh so good when I'm done. I can actually be completly pain free for about 20 minutes after stretching, so for me, this is proof positive that stretching is a big part of the cure and this plays right in to your comments on the night splint. I read on another site that we lose everything and prolong the condition when we rest/sleep with with our feet in the pointed down/relaxed position.
As far as your comments on smaller shoe sizes, I kind of stumbled into this on my own. I notice when I wore a thicker pair of socks, well, it just felt better. So I started wearing two pairs of socks which would problaly have the same effect as a smaller shoe size and certainly cheaper. The biggest thing I noticed is my feet are much less fatigued at the end of the day.
You completly lost me on the lazy walking thing. I'm not even sure of what I was trying to do, but to your credit, I have been conscience of stepping off with my big toe and it does feel more stable/positive. I myself, and I'm sure others on this site, would deeply appreciate a more detailed account of your ideas on walking.
My experience with custom orthotics also has a been a compete waste of time and money. My $300 inserts are sitting in my cubert collecting dust, I'm completly convinced they actually aggravated my condition. I'm sure that people with severe flat feet and other abnormalties would benifit from them but for me they were not helpful.
Again, great post!!! We do need more postive feed back on this site, I think we all have some little triumph or positive that we could post about. It's just so discouriging read about someone who has had PF for 8 years and its getting worse, but I do understand their need for support and advice.
Before I would proclaim a cure for PF I think one would certainly have to address the underlying biomechanical flaws that cause PF such as bad shoes, being overwieght, flat feet, ect ect. I think a good pair of supportive shoes are essential, I doubt if anyone has gotten over this condition by continuing to wear high heels.

Jim

Ellen J. on 9/28/02 at 18:46 (096401)

Hi Michael,
I too would like a more detailed description of the way you walk. I'm interested, because when my P.F. was really bad, I found that it felt better (or worse) if I changed how I walked. Therefore, maybe you can tell us even more about your method?
Ellen

Paul L. on 9/28/02 at 19:26 (096404)

I have been doing exercises to strengthen my foot muscles and learning how to walk correctly. Since I started doing this, I feel I am making progress. Less pain in the morning and less pain when I walk. Out of all the postings I have read, this seems to work for people.

Leon S. on 9/28/02 at 20:14 (096405)

I have also noticed that when I wear sweat socks in certain walking shoes and lace them up firmly, I feel more comfortable. Obviously, it's the firmer support around the foot that is doing the job.

Carrie on 9/28/02 at 20:51 (096409)

Hey thank you for writting and taking the time to tell us a good hopeful story! I agree this place can get to ya after awhile. I am always looking to hear positive stories and I know your right that people go away when they get better, I mean you get on with life, no doubt,I feel that you have some interesting thoughts and appreciate it allot
Hugs
Carrie

pala on 9/28/02 at 22:11 (096416)

what is a midtarsal joint? where is it?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/29/02 at 13:34 (096433)

Pala:

The midtarsal joint is approximately at the midpoint of the foot. Anatomy is something that needs to be visualized so if you need more information, I would encourage you to obtain an anatomy book from your local library.
Ed

Kim R. on 9/29/02 at 15:31 (096450)

I think since I have forced myself to quit limping, I am actually getting better. I had this strange gait that had developed as a result of my weak ankle and pf pain. My podiatrist told me to walk 2 or 3 miles and not limp. It actually felt good to walk normal and not place too much weight on the other poor leg. Maybe this is the same concept. I actually jogged 2 miles today with no pain, but I concentrate all day on NOT LIMPING. Maybe forcing ourselves to walk correctly is a good idea.