Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Earth Shoes

Posted by Carrie on 9/28/02 at 21:08 (096414)

Has anyone here tried these and if so what do you think about them? They seem to be the opposite of many other shoes, meaning that they kind of push you back onto your heels rather than off them. I am still not sure what I think, when I first tried them on they seemed awesome, now after hanging around the house a bit in them I am worried about the fact that the arch is really high. Shoot the shoe dileman is going to drive me totally nutso!

any help would be so much appreciated!
hugs
Carrie

Re: Earth Shoes -- NEVER FOR PF!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/29/02 at 13:40 (096436)

The original earth shoes had a negative heel -- a definite no-no for PF.
Ed

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 14:33 (096442)

Hmmm I am curious as to why this would be the case when they feel good! Other than the rubbing against the skin these shoes feel awesome. Anyhow I have learned that there are NO real rules anyhow, if I followed all the rules I would still not be better, and honestly if the night splint is so good why wouldn't the earth shoes be good? I am totally confused now.

Orthotics are supposed to help. but they made me much worse, and so I am just finding that with my case of PF what I am told works is not always what works for me. ESP THE NEW BALANCE SHOES everyone says they are the best but for me, they suck! Anyhow thanks for the opinion, but at this point I am trying to see what works for ME!

Re: I eat my words and apologize

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 20:10 (096480)

I eat my words ED! those Boots sucked big time, but I guess I had to learn the hard way like everything else in my life. It is so irritating to buy shoes and have them feel great for a few hours then baddddddd!

thanks
This time I am getting a refund, I can put the $140 towards some Mephistos. I cannot believe how much I have blown on shoes, at least they are returnable though not like orthotics!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/30/02 at 14:30 (096527)

Carrie:

Specifically -- negative heeled shoes are bad for plantar fasciitis.
I do not know if your Earth shoes have negative heels -- the original ones did, many of the new ones do not. The night splints places MILD dorsiflexion forcce on the achilles and plantar fascia but a negative heel places stronger WEIGHT BEARING force on the fascia. Take time to read the numerous posts on this site comparing the negative effects of weight bearing stretches to the positive effects of non-weight bearing stretches.

I also do not know for sure if what you have is definitely plantar fasciitis.
Ed

sandy on 10/01/02 at 12:21 (096602)

I dont' understand how they can cause more pf tendon strain when the
negative heel technology incourages calf stretching which also stretches
the plantar tendon. most gadgets on the market incourage this kind of
stretching to releive symptoms. can you elaborate?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/01/02 at 15:15 (096616)

See my prior post. Take the time to read the numerous posts on this site that compare the negative effects of weight bearing stretches to the beneficial effects of non-weight bearing stretches.

Walking is a repetitive, 'ballistic' motion. Repetitive dorsiflexion under force causes the calf muscle to tighten, not to mention causing retrograde force on the femur which in turn tilts the pelvis forward, which in turn flattens the lumbar curve causing back pain.

Night splints apply a steady (not repetitive), mild (not weight bearing) force to the gastrosoleus achilles complex allowing the complex to gradually lengthen.
Ed

Carrie on 10/02/02 at 08:12 (096685)

Thanks for the explanation, I am glad I learned before it was too late, at least I got my $$$$ back on the earth shoes, and boots. It was too bad they didn't work, they were kind of cute. But the Mephisos seem a much better investment, thanks again.

C

Re: ? DR Ed.

BGCPed on 10/04/02 at 11:38 (096878)

This also brings to mind the various 'jumper' training shoes found in basketball magazines. The shoes have about a 2 in thick sole under the forefoot and put the foot in about 20 degree dorsiflexion.....they are told to run and workout in them. I have seen claims that you can increase your verticle leap up to 10 inch from using them. Have you heard any studies on these, I think it is total bs and could even injur some

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/04/02 at 14:36 (096890)

I have seen them too. They are certainly a risk for PF, achilles tendinitis or even achilles tendon ruptures .... many opt for a lot of risks to enhance athletic performance. An individual with a good ankle dorsiflexion range of motion could use them with less risk.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/29/02 at 13:40 (096436)

The original earth shoes had a negative heel -- a definite no-no for PF.
Ed

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 14:33 (096442)

Hmmm I am curious as to why this would be the case when they feel good! Other than the rubbing against the skin these shoes feel awesome. Anyhow I have learned that there are NO real rules anyhow, if I followed all the rules I would still not be better, and honestly if the night splint is so good why wouldn't the earth shoes be good? I am totally confused now.

Orthotics are supposed to help. but they made me much worse, and so I am just finding that with my case of PF what I am told works is not always what works for me. ESP THE NEW BALANCE SHOES everyone says they are the best but for me, they suck! Anyhow thanks for the opinion, but at this point I am trying to see what works for ME!

Re: I eat my words and apologize

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 20:10 (096480)

I eat my words ED! those Boots sucked big time, but I guess I had to learn the hard way like everything else in my life. It is so irritating to buy shoes and have them feel great for a few hours then baddddddd!

thanks
This time I am getting a refund, I can put the $140 towards some Mephistos. I cannot believe how much I have blown on shoes, at least they are returnable though not like orthotics!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/30/02 at 14:30 (096527)

Carrie:

Specifically -- negative heeled shoes are bad for plantar fasciitis.
I do not know if your Earth shoes have negative heels -- the original ones did, many of the new ones do not. The night splints places MILD dorsiflexion forcce on the achilles and plantar fascia but a negative heel places stronger WEIGHT BEARING force on the fascia. Take time to read the numerous posts on this site comparing the negative effects of weight bearing stretches to the positive effects of non-weight bearing stretches.

I also do not know for sure if what you have is definitely plantar fasciitis.
Ed

sandy on 10/01/02 at 12:21 (096602)

I dont' understand how they can cause more pf tendon strain when the
negative heel technology incourages calf stretching which also stretches
the plantar tendon. most gadgets on the market incourage this kind of
stretching to releive symptoms. can you elaborate?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/01/02 at 15:15 (096616)

See my prior post. Take the time to read the numerous posts on this site that compare the negative effects of weight bearing stretches to the beneficial effects of non-weight bearing stretches.

Walking is a repetitive, 'ballistic' motion. Repetitive dorsiflexion under force causes the calf muscle to tighten, not to mention causing retrograde force on the femur which in turn tilts the pelvis forward, which in turn flattens the lumbar curve causing back pain.

Night splints apply a steady (not repetitive), mild (not weight bearing) force to the gastrosoleus achilles complex allowing the complex to gradually lengthen.
Ed

Carrie on 10/02/02 at 08:12 (096685)

Thanks for the explanation, I am glad I learned before it was too late, at least I got my $$$$ back on the earth shoes, and boots. It was too bad they didn't work, they were kind of cute. But the Mephisos seem a much better investment, thanks again.

C

BGCPed on 10/04/02 at 11:38 (096878)

This also brings to mind the various 'jumper' training shoes found in basketball magazines. The shoes have about a 2 in thick sole under the forefoot and put the foot in about 20 degree dorsiflexion.....they are told to run and workout in them. I have seen claims that you can increase your verticle leap up to 10 inch from using them. Have you heard any studies on these, I think it is total bs and could even injur some

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/04/02 at 14:36 (096890)

I have seen them too. They are certainly a risk for PF, achilles tendinitis or even achilles tendon ruptures .... many opt for a lot of risks to enhance athletic performance. An individual with a good ankle dorsiflexion range of motion could use them with less risk.
Ed