Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Getting depressed

Posted by Carrie on 9/28/02 at 21:36 (096415)

I am not having any luck at all with shoes, I am at the end of my rope with this. I mean I spent so much money on orthotics and then shoes, and still no success at all. The Earth shoes feel great in the heel and arch but they are already giving me a blister where they rub the back of my foot, I feel like i have the most sensitive feet in the world and nothing ever feels good long enough to be worth the $$$ I am spending. I don't know what to do anymore. I have to take back the Mephisos(send them back) as they are too narrow, even though they feel good in the heel the toes are too narrow, and now the other cute shoes the earth shoes also have to go back. I am frustrated, totally sick of this crap. I need some shoes I can wear and I am really pissed off that nothing ever works out for me. I have always worn a size 6, now the size 6's are too tight in certain spots, then when I go up a size they are too big and do not offer enough support. What the heck am I supposed to do!
ARG

ok sorry I needed to vent here.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do about the shoe size issues?
thanks
Carrie

Re: Getting depressed

Suzanne D on 9/29/02 at 07:46 (096419)

Dear Carrie,

I am sorry you are feeling upset and discouraged. MANY of us can relate to what you're feeling and extend our understanding and sympathy to you. Perhaps your feelings right now can help you understand why so often there are posts on this board that may seem 'negative'. I think you have posted before about how sometimes this site gets to you and that you wish there were more postive posts to read. When you read such posts, just realize that all those people were feeling like you do right now when they posted. They are frustrated about shoes and orthotics and treatments not working, etc. It DOES help to know you are not alone.

Still there are the positive and helpful posts from those who cared enough to inform people of what IS helping them and from the foot professionals who give of their valuable time to help, getting nothing for themselves in return other than the knowledge that they helped someone. So we offer sympathy and understanding and help whenever we can. Many of us are often feeling just as you are now. I will add that you might want to try reading and posting on the social/support board on this site as sometimes there are some interesting, non-foot related discussions which can be a welcome break from all the foot talk. Just a thought! :-) (And if you HAVE posted there, forgive me; sometimes the names run together in my mind!)

Now about your shoes...Are the Joseph Seibel shoes still working for you? I had read with interest what you wrote about those shoes as I have never seen them. I'm sorry your Mephistos have to be sent back as well as the Earth shoes. I have no experience with those, either.

I DO have some Birks as well as Birk inserts which I place in SAS walking shoes. Now those SAS shoes aren't cute, and I really wish I had something more stylish that also helped my feet, but they do fit well and support my feet, so I wear them. I teach first grade and am on my feet a lot and have to have something that I can walk and stand in. I am going to try some Superfeet inserts which I hope to be able to get this week while we are off from school. They were recommended on this site. They provide support and cushion, I understand, and I want to try them as they may be better for me than the Birk inserts which are semi-rigid. New Balance shoes are also recommended. Have you tried those?

I just thought I would mention the SAS shoes to you. They aren't as 'bulky' as athletic shoes, but they are supportive, come in widths, and have room in the toes and can accomodate orthotics. From what I've read, they are 'o.k.' shoes for PF - not the highest recommended - and yet they have some positive points and have truly helped me with the Birk inserts.

Everyone has to keep trying to see what helps them and keep reading and learning and sharing. That way we all help one another.

I believe I read that your pod said he could get soft custom orthotics for you if the hard ones did not work. Perhaps you might check into that if none of the shoe options seem to work for you. Perhaps you need a little more support than any shoe can give you.

Well, this has gone on long enough. I do wish you well, Carrie, and understand your frustrations! My feet are quite 'sensitive', also, and I wear a women's 11 which is hard to find sometimes, too. Also, the 'cuter' Birks and such often stop with a 42, and I need a 43 in the Eurpopean sizing. I have had the thought that NO ONE in the entire world must have feet like mine and that there are no shoes out there for me! :-) So I DO understand.

Try to keep smiling! Have a good day!

Suzanne :-)

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 09:59 (096421)

Thanks for the encouragement, ya know I have said that this site can get to me, only because I want so much to hear that it gets better but I totally understand that we are all probably in the same position as me and of course that means we need to vent! :)

On to the shoe issue. The Joseph seibels are still working for me well, the problem is that they are not the only style and look I want and the earth shoes were really cute and kind of like a hiking boot look which I thought would be cool for jeans and more casula attire. My problem is letting go of my fashion passion I suppose, which is hard. I was so sad that they rubbed the back of my feet the way they did cause they felt so good on my arch! It just seems like a no win situation. Anyhow the Mephisto Boots are very cute, fashionable, feminine, which I am in need of, I hate the masculine look esp SAS arg! I have not found the SAS to be that great for me, same with New Balance, they just don't have enough arch support for me, they kill me, I wear them only to the gym to lift wieghts and that is it, I am out of them immediately OR I WILL BE IN TEARS! i do have a pair of italian clogs, they are wooden and hard heeled, and have a pretty good sized heal, but the inside is cushy and padded and they are so cute, these I can wear for awhile, like for church with a skirt. I have to get some more dressy sandals for church etc. The biggest issue for me is the sizing with the Mephisto. I have size 6 feet in most shoes, but the Mephisto's run narrow through the toe area, so while they are fitting good and feeling good in the heal and arch. the toe area is hurting, so I am going to swith up to 6 1/2. My biggest problem again is that if I go too big I lose support. In the birkies I wear a 36 which is strange in Dansko I wear 37's

anyhow I am going to church now. I will pray for all us PF sufferers while there, ha ha can't hurt

hugs
C

Re: Carrie-long post and response to your ? on sdos

Carmen H on 9/29/02 at 11:13 (096428)

You probably don't want to hear this and you seem to already know...but you may have to give up the fashion for awhile and just do what's BEST for your feet. :o( You will continue running in circles if you don't do what your feet are telling you...and the frustration will build.
As far as the New Balance are concerned if you recall I wrote that there was a point that I couldn't wear those at all...and that was the breaking point for me....so I empathize.
It wasn't worth it for my feet to suffer the awful pain I had wearing them. Until I could wear tennis shoes again I retired them. You will find many people share the same story of frustration with shoes...how one week they will feel glorious! The next morning...MAJOR pain.
No reason...your feet just reject them. So we move on to another pair...BUT eventually some people have been able to go back to that pair that hurt them and they fel good again. It's a vicious cycle. But perhaps you should quit buying shoes. Find the pair that works best and feels best and stick with them. REGARDLESS of what you wear clotheswise....
I totally understand your need for fashion and to look good (you can see my picures on the frequent posters pictures...and notice I used to feel the same way look at the SHOES I had on!!!!...regardless of wedding day or not I was always working out, wearing cute shoes like those....etc). So please know you are not alone...I too struggled with the 'appearance' issue many times before realizing how petty and materialistic I was being. When it came right down to it...I just was happy to walk with minimal pain and that was most important and still remains so.
Maybe in time you will feel more comfortable with reprioritizing things and that will ease some of the burden you are putting on yourself....
Which we really can do...BURDEN ourselves with expectations that are very unrealistic....'When will I feel better? WHY can't I exercise without pain? When can I wear sandals that match my outfit again?'
and on and on.....
It's frustrating...but we mostly do it to ourselves.
I saw the post about the SDO's question...and will answer here. They are Silicone Gel...so they move with your foot and become hard in the areas you need the support most WHEN you need it. They allow your foot to move and the muscles to work as opposed to the hard orthotics that hold your foot in the same position with each step.
I have had 4 pairs of orthotics..these are the BEST by far. I wear them with New Bal. and am going today to find a pair of dress shoes for meetings and stuff with clients for winter.
Money back guarantee...can't beat it. Call Dr. Kiper for any info you want. He's marvelous about communicating.
Patience with pf is key Carrie...it's hard...but it's true.
Perhaps you might think of doing some volunteer work to help take your mind off your troubles a little more. It's been proven that people in chronic pain with no end in site get relief by giving to someone or something in much deeper need than themselves. Kind of reminds us that we REALLY don't have it all that bad. It truly has helped me tenfold to help the animals...and my feet are a MINOR issue anymore.
Allow yourself the moaning and complaining when you need to but try not to make it destructive to YOURSELF.
Keep your chin up...we know how you feel in more ways than you know. And it WILL get better....:o)

Carmen H on 9/29/02 at 11:15 (096430)

p.s. Do you have good support in your family or friends?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/29/02 at 13:48 (096439)

Carrie:

Shoes and orthotics only represent one aspect (one leg of the treamtment triad) for plantar fasciitis so try not to over-emphasize or dwell on that area.

Consider seeing a pedorthist because they are professionals in the area of shoe fit and function. I do not know the specifics of your shoe fit problem. Generally speaking, running shoes have a number of advantages over other types of shoegear for people with PF. One of the problems with fit is solved by combination lasted shoes, that is shoes with two different widths. Many need a shoe that is narrower in the heel and wider in the forefoot. New Balance has a line of running shoes that are made this way, referred to as the SL2 last. One popular model with an SL2 last is the New Balance 1121.
Ed

Re: Affects us guys as well

Pete on 9/29/02 at 13:52 (096441)

As a guy who wears a suit for work every day I can also empathise with the 'look' factor. Those shiny brogues of old have long being discarded for some horrible old hush puppy type shoes. I hate them, but they give me a little less pain so I get on with it, and after 2 years it doesn't really matter anymore what shoes I wear.

Feel free to vent here, my wife bears my frustrations on a regular basis.

Keep your chin up.....and get some comfortable shoes !

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 14:44 (096443)

I have seen A pod and he has been of no help to me whatsoever. All the things he has recomended have been unsuccseful. New Balance shoes do not help me at all, they suck. THey hurt and within about an hour I am almost in tears in them. I just traded in the earth shoes for earth shoe boots, these feel heavenly, now I am being told not to wear them I am once again so tired of this situation. If something feels good why wouldn't you want to wear them,the shoes unfortunately didn't feel good not because of the heel though, the arch and heel felt awesome, but the size 6 was too tight and the material scratched at the sensitive skin on the back of my heel which was turning into a nice juicy blister. Other than that the shoes themselves felt heavenly. UNfortunately not all of us fall into the same category and what works for one does not always work for another.I can tell you for sure that I have not been able to find a single running or athletic shoe New Balance or otherwise that works for me, while most people here say that these are all they can wear. I don't want to come off unappreciative at all of your advice Dave, trust me I am appreciative of your help, however are there not exceptions to just about every rule with this disorder or condition or whatever it is? Is there not a person who can be afflicted and not fit the mold? Please tell me why am I so abnormal? It is very hard to deal with.

I live in a very cold snowy place, we get huge snow storms here in Idaho Falls, I cannot wear a simple shoe or sandal or running shoe in the dead of winter which is quickly approaching.

Anyhow I am feeling good in these boots by earth, yes the heel does seem slightly negative, but not hugely so. Why is this bad? IF it feels good isn't that what matters most? Seeing as how all the things that I have been told to do are not working then what would be so dangerous about trying something different?

anyhow thanks for the feedback I would love to know more, but again, I hate when I am told that something is a no no when it feels right, that has to count for something doesn't it? Also the birkenstock hard soled sandals that I have seem to have a pretty negative heel as well, in fact what I read about them is that they are indeed designed so that you walk more on your heels than on the front or balls of your feet! These shoes saved my behind this summer, so what would be the difference between the earth and the birkies, to me they seem very much alike in how they position my foot, arch and heel?

Thanks again
Carrie

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 14:52 (096444)

Pete,

:) Thanks for the supportive post. I too don't care so much anymore, trust me my standards for shoes is completely different than it was not so long ago. I have been a slinky platform, pump 2-4' inch heel woman for years so I know I self inflicted much of this upon myself :( however, if I can find a cute shoe that also feels good, then that is the best of both worlds right? Unfortunately for me, I may be the one in a zillion freak, most of the flat ugly shoes, are not better than the other ones. Now I found these interesting and somewhat clunky, though somewhat cute, earth shoe boots, however now I am freaking out because I am being told that I should not wear a negative heel, yet my birkies say they also have a negative heel and they are the best shoes I own. Dilemna is that the Birkie closed shoes are not anything like the birkie sandals, and of course I cannot wear the sandals much anymore out, only around the house. On top of my pain I have the coldest feet around, in fact I am always cold, period. Ha this is a big time problem living in Idaho. I mean in California where I grew up I could still be wearing sandals, but here in Idaho that is not working out for me. My biggest problem seems to be that if the shoe has too high of a heel it hurts, yet if it is too flat it hurts even worse. SOOOOOO What is a girl to do?

Well now I will be panicking about my new boots which I will wear around the house for a few before taking them outside, at $140 I don't want to be stuck with something that is going to cause me more pain. I guess I was of the asumption that since a night splint is good for you and puts your foot in this position that a boot that does it that you can walk in might do me some good. Once again I suppose my thinking is bad.

I am getting more frustrated by the minute here!

Anyhow thanks for the supportive and kind post. I know my husband is probably in the same place your wife is ha ha! Not good.

Hugs
:)
Carrie

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 15:04 (096446)

Carmen

It isn't even so much a fashion issue for me. I think my point has been missed. I would wear anything at this point if it was comfy! I mean trust me the Joseph Seibel shoes are anything but cute, however they are pretty comfy. MY PROBLEM is the weather here in IDaho I need a closed shoe, and in reality if New Balance running shoes worked for me I would wear them everyday,l trust me(cept to church) I am LDS and we cannot wear slacks to church. I am only there 3 hours a day on Sunday so as far as that goes, I can get away with sandals or whatever for that , my issue is that I need a boot or something that is comfy for work. I am blessed with a job that is pretty much sit down, with some up and down but not tooo much. I have come to terms with my condition and the fact that I am unable to cycle, spin or any of that kind of working out anymore. I realy have turned to swimming full on and find that to my amazement it not only is therapeutic to my mind, but my body is looking really toned from it. I do weight lifting 2 times a week and make sure to be cautious of my feet for this. I am really mentally allot happier with my attitude about the working out. I have accepted it will be water, pilates and wieghts (no standing) and stretching to be fit, and yes I am even dieting somewhat( i love to eat) ha ha, so Carmen I am getting emotionally allot more stable with this. My issue though is that I need some boots for winter and closed shoes that I can handle for work. The SAS shoes don't feel good on me or god knows I would wear them. SOOOO now that I am wearing the earth shoe boots(trust me they are clunky and not the best looking things ) but at least they feel good. Now I am also told they are not good for me, back to what to do again I guess. IN reality I know my posts take on a major desperate tone at times, but like I said I really am changing my attitude and it is hard. You know at 38 years old we are hard to change our ways much as we are set in them. I am trying hard to learn to be happy with what feels good. The main thing is finding what feels good, then finding out it is not good?

anyhow I am rambling here but the point I wanted to make is that I am making much progress emotionally, my new boots and my joseph seibel shoes should be enough for now to get me through the winter months. Summer is easy with my birks, I can live in those !

thanks Carmen I appreciate your kindness.

ALso where are the photos of visitors? I would like to see them, maybe I can even post my own.

hugs
Carrie

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 15:07 (096447)

I have a wonderfully supportive husband who has so kindly taken over almost all the housework, he vacuums, cleans, cooks and even does the dreaded grocery shopping. But he is also so supportive emotionally so yes that is easy.

The hardest thing is this whole shoe thing. I am so confused. Evertime I think I have found one that will be a winner it sucks. I agree that I need to stop buying shoes, but..... as I explained in the other post, I really do need something that will stand up to the single digit temps we get here in Idaho Falls.

Hugs
carrie

Carmen H on 9/29/02 at 17:09 (096462)

I'm sorry I must have misconstrued. I saw what you wrote about 'My problem is letting go of my fashion passion I suppose' as a way of saying you wish you could let that part go...I just wanted you to know I have sooo been there on that part of it.
If I seen anything on the 'cold' side of things I will let you know...I lived up in Minnesota for 14 years...so cold I definitely know! brrrrr!
Photos of visitors are on the social page...look up top and see the link that will take you right to it.

Share a picture with us! :o)
What is LDS?

Carmen H on 9/29/02 at 18:11 (096469)

I meant if I 'see' anything in a shoe fashion that will be good for colder weather I'll let you know...
My brain is dead.

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 20:06 (096479)

Don't apologize, I am still trying to let it go ya know, that part of me that exists deep inside ha ha. I had to let go of the earth boots too, they felt good for about 2 hours then made me hurt worse, I put on my birkies and now I am just taking the boots for good back and getting money. I do still want the Mephistos, I just need a bigger size

sigh

LDS is just short for later day saint, Mormon, who da guessed it right here in Idaho lol.

Hugs
Carrie

Carmen H on 9/30/02 at 07:55 (096502)

We have Minnonites that drive tractors in our town...we're the fifth largest city in TN.

Janet F on 9/30/02 at 12:12 (096520)

Carrie,

I was just on the New Balance website and they advise what style shoe fits the specific foot problem. They recommend the 810 and 655 for Plantar Fasiciitis. I too am feeling like I will never find the right shoe but I will give the NBs a try. I guess fashion will have to go out the window for now!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/30/02 at 14:25 (096526)

Carrie:

You had stated that you had seen a 'pod' -- assuming you mean a podiatrist.
I had recommended a pedorthist since they deal with shoes.

Negative heel shoes increase plantar fascial tension. I have seen some earth shoes recently that were not negative heeled so they would be okay.

Not all New Balance shoes are okay. That is why we recommend specific models.

I would judge the shoe not so much by how they feel when you first put them on but how they feel after about 4 hours of being on your feet.
Ed

dave r on 9/30/02 at 15:15 (096535)

My neighbor hit a cow on his way to work awhile back.
I live in a small town to................

Re: Carrie

Kathy G on 10/01/02 at 17:30 (096634)

Hi Carrie,

So sorry to hear of your problems. Your frustration comes through loud and clear. For what it's worth, as so many people here have done, I tried all kinds of shoes in an effort to find something comfortable. I wore Josef Sibels exclusively for a long time and they worked out well. I couldn't wear their clogs in the winter, though, because they weren't narrow enough. To tell you the truth, I don't remember what I wore in the winter!

As my foot problems increased, I finally had to give up on wearing anything at all stylish to work with my long skirts. I found that Asics Gel running shoes, the kind without the control heel, worked out very well for me. I have a narrow foot but need a toe box that will accommodate my toes that stick upon the ends. (Regulars on this board are realizing that I never exaggerated when I said that I had extremely ugly feet!) The Asics are what I wear exclusively - I wore my Siebels to my neices' weddings this past summer and they didn't work well at all. I've decided that I will never be able to wear anything but the Asics but I don't really care if I can be relatively pain-free. That doesn't mean that you won't progress farther than I have and you may only have to wear them short-term.

When I first started wearing the running shoes with the skirts, my then teen-aged daughter said, 'But, Mum, what will people think?'

I said, 'They'll either think I have a terrible sense of style or sore feet!'

Good luck and hang in there!

Carrie on 10/01/02 at 17:49 (096638)

Thanks for the supportive post, but I am being honest when I say that running shoes are my worse enemy, any of them, I have tried tons of them. Within an hour or if I am lucky a couple, I am in agony. I cannot wear them, period, for any legnth of time. I am having much more luck with the Joseph Seibels and the Birkies. I also am getting some Mephisto sandals and boots, these should help. I am one of those freaks who cannot wear anything totally flat, which is a running shoe or athletic shoe. I wear them at the gym when doing my wieghlifting and then I am out of them.

Thanks
C

Carrie on 10/02/02 at 08:40 (096691)

Ya know for me, if the new balance shoes worked, I don't find them to look at all unfashionable with most of my clothes, other than my dresses of course. I would wear them in a heart beat if they worked for me. The don't have enough firm arch support for me, or enough of a lift in the heel. I have though that maybe with a heel cup it would feel better, but it doesn't. Are those styles you mention mens or womens? I have tried on just about all of them and don't find that much difference in the heel or arch support. they just don't work for me. TOO FLAT. I cannot wear too flat of shoes. I wish I could cause actually with my style of jeans and flaired leg pants the athletic shoes look good, and when not working I wear mostly jeans or work out stuff so the athletic shoes look really good, but since they hurt I have to wear other styles. I would be interested in which website you speak of.

Thanks for the info
hugs
Carrie

JudyS on 10/03/02 at 19:31 (096843)

Same for me, Carrie. I really struggle with athletic shoes (too soft) and, more or less, only wear them to work out in. I almost live in only Josef Siebel with an occasional digression to 'pretty' (but not good for me) shoes. I also do OK now and then with Clarks but find my Mephistos a bit too rigid.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/04/02 at 14:33 (096889)

New Balance makes a 'neutral plane shoe'... they don't try to contour the insides but allow room for inserts such as Superfeet. http://www.superfeet.com
The combination of both is worth a try.
Ed

Suzanne D on 9/29/02 at 07:46 (096419)

Dear Carrie,

I am sorry you are feeling upset and discouraged. MANY of us can relate to what you're feeling and extend our understanding and sympathy to you. Perhaps your feelings right now can help you understand why so often there are posts on this board that may seem 'negative'. I think you have posted before about how sometimes this site gets to you and that you wish there were more postive posts to read. When you read such posts, just realize that all those people were feeling like you do right now when they posted. They are frustrated about shoes and orthotics and treatments not working, etc. It DOES help to know you are not alone.

Still there are the positive and helpful posts from those who cared enough to inform people of what IS helping them and from the foot professionals who give of their valuable time to help, getting nothing for themselves in return other than the knowledge that they helped someone. So we offer sympathy and understanding and help whenever we can. Many of us are often feeling just as you are now. I will add that you might want to try reading and posting on the social/support board on this site as sometimes there are some interesting, non-foot related discussions which can be a welcome break from all the foot talk. Just a thought! :-) (And if you HAVE posted there, forgive me; sometimes the names run together in my mind!)

Now about your shoes...Are the Joseph Seibel shoes still working for you? I had read with interest what you wrote about those shoes as I have never seen them. I'm sorry your Mephistos have to be sent back as well as the Earth shoes. I have no experience with those, either.

I DO have some Birks as well as Birk inserts which I place in SAS walking shoes. Now those SAS shoes aren't cute, and I really wish I had something more stylish that also helped my feet, but they do fit well and support my feet, so I wear them. I teach first grade and am on my feet a lot and have to have something that I can walk and stand in. I am going to try some Superfeet inserts which I hope to be able to get this week while we are off from school. They were recommended on this site. They provide support and cushion, I understand, and I want to try them as they may be better for me than the Birk inserts which are semi-rigid. New Balance shoes are also recommended. Have you tried those?

I just thought I would mention the SAS shoes to you. They aren't as 'bulky' as athletic shoes, but they are supportive, come in widths, and have room in the toes and can accomodate orthotics. From what I've read, they are 'o.k.' shoes for PF - not the highest recommended - and yet they have some positive points and have truly helped me with the Birk inserts.

Everyone has to keep trying to see what helps them and keep reading and learning and sharing. That way we all help one another.

I believe I read that your pod said he could get soft custom orthotics for you if the hard ones did not work. Perhaps you might check into that if none of the shoe options seem to work for you. Perhaps you need a little more support than any shoe can give you.

Well, this has gone on long enough. I do wish you well, Carrie, and understand your frustrations! My feet are quite 'sensitive', also, and I wear a women's 11 which is hard to find sometimes, too. Also, the 'cuter' Birks and such often stop with a 42, and I need a 43 in the Eurpopean sizing. I have had the thought that NO ONE in the entire world must have feet like mine and that there are no shoes out there for me! :-) So I DO understand.

Try to keep smiling! Have a good day!

Suzanne :-)

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 09:59 (096421)

Thanks for the encouragement, ya know I have said that this site can get to me, only because I want so much to hear that it gets better but I totally understand that we are all probably in the same position as me and of course that means we need to vent! :)

On to the shoe issue. The Joseph seibels are still working for me well, the problem is that they are not the only style and look I want and the earth shoes were really cute and kind of like a hiking boot look which I thought would be cool for jeans and more casula attire. My problem is letting go of my fashion passion I suppose, which is hard. I was so sad that they rubbed the back of my feet the way they did cause they felt so good on my arch! It just seems like a no win situation. Anyhow the Mephisto Boots are very cute, fashionable, feminine, which I am in need of, I hate the masculine look esp SAS arg! I have not found the SAS to be that great for me, same with New Balance, they just don't have enough arch support for me, they kill me, I wear them only to the gym to lift wieghts and that is it, I am out of them immediately OR I WILL BE IN TEARS! i do have a pair of italian clogs, they are wooden and hard heeled, and have a pretty good sized heal, but the inside is cushy and padded and they are so cute, these I can wear for awhile, like for church with a skirt. I have to get some more dressy sandals for church etc. The biggest issue for me is the sizing with the Mephisto. I have size 6 feet in most shoes, but the Mephisto's run narrow through the toe area, so while they are fitting good and feeling good in the heal and arch. the toe area is hurting, so I am going to swith up to 6 1/2. My biggest problem again is that if I go too big I lose support. In the birkies I wear a 36 which is strange in Dansko I wear 37's

anyhow I am going to church now. I will pray for all us PF sufferers while there, ha ha can't hurt

hugs
C

Carmen H on 9/29/02 at 11:13 (096428)

You probably don't want to hear this and you seem to already know...but you may have to give up the fashion for awhile and just do what's BEST for your feet. :o( You will continue running in circles if you don't do what your feet are telling you...and the frustration will build.
As far as the New Balance are concerned if you recall I wrote that there was a point that I couldn't wear those at all...and that was the breaking point for me....so I empathize.
It wasn't worth it for my feet to suffer the awful pain I had wearing them. Until I could wear tennis shoes again I retired them. You will find many people share the same story of frustration with shoes...how one week they will feel glorious! The next morning...MAJOR pain.
No reason...your feet just reject them. So we move on to another pair...BUT eventually some people have been able to go back to that pair that hurt them and they fel good again. It's a vicious cycle. But perhaps you should quit buying shoes. Find the pair that works best and feels best and stick with them. REGARDLESS of what you wear clotheswise....
I totally understand your need for fashion and to look good (you can see my picures on the frequent posters pictures...and notice I used to feel the same way look at the SHOES I had on!!!!...regardless of wedding day or not I was always working out, wearing cute shoes like those....etc). So please know you are not alone...I too struggled with the 'appearance' issue many times before realizing how petty and materialistic I was being. When it came right down to it...I just was happy to walk with minimal pain and that was most important and still remains so.
Maybe in time you will feel more comfortable with reprioritizing things and that will ease some of the burden you are putting on yourself....
Which we really can do...BURDEN ourselves with expectations that are very unrealistic....'When will I feel better? WHY can't I exercise without pain? When can I wear sandals that match my outfit again?'
and on and on.....
It's frustrating...but we mostly do it to ourselves.
I saw the post about the SDO's question...and will answer here. They are Silicone Gel...so they move with your foot and become hard in the areas you need the support most WHEN you need it. They allow your foot to move and the muscles to work as opposed to the hard orthotics that hold your foot in the same position with each step.
I have had 4 pairs of orthotics..these are the BEST by far. I wear them with New Bal. and am going today to find a pair of dress shoes for meetings and stuff with clients for winter.
Money back guarantee...can't beat it. Call Dr. Kiper for any info you want. He's marvelous about communicating.
Patience with pf is key Carrie...it's hard...but it's true.
Perhaps you might think of doing some volunteer work to help take your mind off your troubles a little more. It's been proven that people in chronic pain with no end in site get relief by giving to someone or something in much deeper need than themselves. Kind of reminds us that we REALLY don't have it all that bad. It truly has helped me tenfold to help the animals...and my feet are a MINOR issue anymore.
Allow yourself the moaning and complaining when you need to but try not to make it destructive to YOURSELF.
Keep your chin up...we know how you feel in more ways than you know. And it WILL get better....:o)

Carmen H on 9/29/02 at 11:15 (096430)

p.s. Do you have good support in your family or friends?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/29/02 at 13:48 (096439)

Carrie:

Shoes and orthotics only represent one aspect (one leg of the treamtment triad) for plantar fasciitis so try not to over-emphasize or dwell on that area.

Consider seeing a pedorthist because they are professionals in the area of shoe fit and function. I do not know the specifics of your shoe fit problem. Generally speaking, running shoes have a number of advantages over other types of shoegear for people with PF. One of the problems with fit is solved by combination lasted shoes, that is shoes with two different widths. Many need a shoe that is narrower in the heel and wider in the forefoot. New Balance has a line of running shoes that are made this way, referred to as the SL2 last. One popular model with an SL2 last is the New Balance 1121.
Ed

Pete on 9/29/02 at 13:52 (096441)

As a guy who wears a suit for work every day I can also empathise with the 'look' factor. Those shiny brogues of old have long being discarded for some horrible old hush puppy type shoes. I hate them, but they give me a little less pain so I get on with it, and after 2 years it doesn't really matter anymore what shoes I wear.

Feel free to vent here, my wife bears my frustrations on a regular basis.

Keep your chin up.....and get some comfortable shoes !

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 14:44 (096443)

I have seen A pod and he has been of no help to me whatsoever. All the things he has recomended have been unsuccseful. New Balance shoes do not help me at all, they suck. THey hurt and within about an hour I am almost in tears in them. I just traded in the earth shoes for earth shoe boots, these feel heavenly, now I am being told not to wear them I am once again so tired of this situation. If something feels good why wouldn't you want to wear them,the shoes unfortunately didn't feel good not because of the heel though, the arch and heel felt awesome, but the size 6 was too tight and the material scratched at the sensitive skin on the back of my heel which was turning into a nice juicy blister. Other than that the shoes themselves felt heavenly. UNfortunately not all of us fall into the same category and what works for one does not always work for another.I can tell you for sure that I have not been able to find a single running or athletic shoe New Balance or otherwise that works for me, while most people here say that these are all they can wear. I don't want to come off unappreciative at all of your advice Dave, trust me I am appreciative of your help, however are there not exceptions to just about every rule with this disorder or condition or whatever it is? Is there not a person who can be afflicted and not fit the mold? Please tell me why am I so abnormal? It is very hard to deal with.

I live in a very cold snowy place, we get huge snow storms here in Idaho Falls, I cannot wear a simple shoe or sandal or running shoe in the dead of winter which is quickly approaching.

Anyhow I am feeling good in these boots by earth, yes the heel does seem slightly negative, but not hugely so. Why is this bad? IF it feels good isn't that what matters most? Seeing as how all the things that I have been told to do are not working then what would be so dangerous about trying something different?

anyhow thanks for the feedback I would love to know more, but again, I hate when I am told that something is a no no when it feels right, that has to count for something doesn't it? Also the birkenstock hard soled sandals that I have seem to have a pretty negative heel as well, in fact what I read about them is that they are indeed designed so that you walk more on your heels than on the front or balls of your feet! These shoes saved my behind this summer, so what would be the difference between the earth and the birkies, to me they seem very much alike in how they position my foot, arch and heel?

Thanks again
Carrie

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 14:52 (096444)

Pete,

:) Thanks for the supportive post. I too don't care so much anymore, trust me my standards for shoes is completely different than it was not so long ago. I have been a slinky platform, pump 2-4' inch heel woman for years so I know I self inflicted much of this upon myself :( however, if I can find a cute shoe that also feels good, then that is the best of both worlds right? Unfortunately for me, I may be the one in a zillion freak, most of the flat ugly shoes, are not better than the other ones. Now I found these interesting and somewhat clunky, though somewhat cute, earth shoe boots, however now I am freaking out because I am being told that I should not wear a negative heel, yet my birkies say they also have a negative heel and they are the best shoes I own. Dilemna is that the Birkie closed shoes are not anything like the birkie sandals, and of course I cannot wear the sandals much anymore out, only around the house. On top of my pain I have the coldest feet around, in fact I am always cold, period. Ha this is a big time problem living in Idaho. I mean in California where I grew up I could still be wearing sandals, but here in Idaho that is not working out for me. My biggest problem seems to be that if the shoe has too high of a heel it hurts, yet if it is too flat it hurts even worse. SOOOOOO What is a girl to do?

Well now I will be panicking about my new boots which I will wear around the house for a few before taking them outside, at $140 I don't want to be stuck with something that is going to cause me more pain. I guess I was of the asumption that since a night splint is good for you and puts your foot in this position that a boot that does it that you can walk in might do me some good. Once again I suppose my thinking is bad.

I am getting more frustrated by the minute here!

Anyhow thanks for the supportive and kind post. I know my husband is probably in the same place your wife is ha ha! Not good.

Hugs
:)
Carrie

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 15:04 (096446)

Carmen

It isn't even so much a fashion issue for me. I think my point has been missed. I would wear anything at this point if it was comfy! I mean trust me the Joseph Seibel shoes are anything but cute, however they are pretty comfy. MY PROBLEM is the weather here in IDaho I need a closed shoe, and in reality if New Balance running shoes worked for me I would wear them everyday,l trust me(cept to church) I am LDS and we cannot wear slacks to church. I am only there 3 hours a day on Sunday so as far as that goes, I can get away with sandals or whatever for that , my issue is that I need a boot or something that is comfy for work. I am blessed with a job that is pretty much sit down, with some up and down but not tooo much. I have come to terms with my condition and the fact that I am unable to cycle, spin or any of that kind of working out anymore. I realy have turned to swimming full on and find that to my amazement it not only is therapeutic to my mind, but my body is looking really toned from it. I do weight lifting 2 times a week and make sure to be cautious of my feet for this. I am really mentally allot happier with my attitude about the working out. I have accepted it will be water, pilates and wieghts (no standing) and stretching to be fit, and yes I am even dieting somewhat( i love to eat) ha ha, so Carmen I am getting emotionally allot more stable with this. My issue though is that I need some boots for winter and closed shoes that I can handle for work. The SAS shoes don't feel good on me or god knows I would wear them. SOOOO now that I am wearing the earth shoe boots(trust me they are clunky and not the best looking things ) but at least they feel good. Now I am also told they are not good for me, back to what to do again I guess. IN reality I know my posts take on a major desperate tone at times, but like I said I really am changing my attitude and it is hard. You know at 38 years old we are hard to change our ways much as we are set in them. I am trying hard to learn to be happy with what feels good. The main thing is finding what feels good, then finding out it is not good?

anyhow I am rambling here but the point I wanted to make is that I am making much progress emotionally, my new boots and my joseph seibel shoes should be enough for now to get me through the winter months. Summer is easy with my birks, I can live in those !

thanks Carmen I appreciate your kindness.

ALso where are the photos of visitors? I would like to see them, maybe I can even post my own.

hugs
Carrie

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 15:07 (096447)

I have a wonderfully supportive husband who has so kindly taken over almost all the housework, he vacuums, cleans, cooks and even does the dreaded grocery shopping. But he is also so supportive emotionally so yes that is easy.

The hardest thing is this whole shoe thing. I am so confused. Evertime I think I have found one that will be a winner it sucks. I agree that I need to stop buying shoes, but..... as I explained in the other post, I really do need something that will stand up to the single digit temps we get here in Idaho Falls.

Hugs
carrie

Carmen H on 9/29/02 at 17:09 (096462)

I'm sorry I must have misconstrued. I saw what you wrote about 'My problem is letting go of my fashion passion I suppose' as a way of saying you wish you could let that part go...I just wanted you to know I have sooo been there on that part of it.
If I seen anything on the 'cold' side of things I will let you know...I lived up in Minnesota for 14 years...so cold I definitely know! brrrrr!
Photos of visitors are on the social page...look up top and see the link that will take you right to it.

Share a picture with us! :o)
What is LDS?

Carmen H on 9/29/02 at 18:11 (096469)

I meant if I 'see' anything in a shoe fashion that will be good for colder weather I'll let you know...
My brain is dead.

Carrie on 9/29/02 at 20:06 (096479)

Don't apologize, I am still trying to let it go ya know, that part of me that exists deep inside ha ha. I had to let go of the earth boots too, they felt good for about 2 hours then made me hurt worse, I put on my birkies and now I am just taking the boots for good back and getting money. I do still want the Mephistos, I just need a bigger size

sigh

LDS is just short for later day saint, Mormon, who da guessed it right here in Idaho lol.

Hugs
Carrie

Carmen H on 9/30/02 at 07:55 (096502)

We have Minnonites that drive tractors in our town...we're the fifth largest city in TN.

Janet F on 9/30/02 at 12:12 (096520)

Carrie,

I was just on the New Balance website and they advise what style shoe fits the specific foot problem. They recommend the 810 and 655 for Plantar Fasiciitis. I too am feeling like I will never find the right shoe but I will give the NBs a try. I guess fashion will have to go out the window for now!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/30/02 at 14:25 (096526)

Carrie:

You had stated that you had seen a 'pod' -- assuming you mean a podiatrist.
I had recommended a pedorthist since they deal with shoes.

Negative heel shoes increase plantar fascial tension. I have seen some earth shoes recently that were not negative heeled so they would be okay.

Not all New Balance shoes are okay. That is why we recommend specific models.

I would judge the shoe not so much by how they feel when you first put them on but how they feel after about 4 hours of being on your feet.
Ed

dave r on 9/30/02 at 15:15 (096535)

My neighbor hit a cow on his way to work awhile back.
I live in a small town to................

Kathy G on 10/01/02 at 17:30 (096634)

Hi Carrie,

So sorry to hear of your problems. Your frustration comes through loud and clear. For what it's worth, as so many people here have done, I tried all kinds of shoes in an effort to find something comfortable. I wore Josef Sibels exclusively for a long time and they worked out well. I couldn't wear their clogs in the winter, though, because they weren't narrow enough. To tell you the truth, I don't remember what I wore in the winter!

As my foot problems increased, I finally had to give up on wearing anything at all stylish to work with my long skirts. I found that Asics Gel running shoes, the kind without the control heel, worked out very well for me. I have a narrow foot but need a toe box that will accommodate my toes that stick upon the ends. (Regulars on this board are realizing that I never exaggerated when I said that I had extremely ugly feet!) The Asics are what I wear exclusively - I wore my Siebels to my neices' weddings this past summer and they didn't work well at all. I've decided that I will never be able to wear anything but the Asics but I don't really care if I can be relatively pain-free. That doesn't mean that you won't progress farther than I have and you may only have to wear them short-term.

When I first started wearing the running shoes with the skirts, my then teen-aged daughter said, 'But, Mum, what will people think?'

I said, 'They'll either think I have a terrible sense of style or sore feet!'

Good luck and hang in there!

Carrie on 10/01/02 at 17:49 (096638)

Thanks for the supportive post, but I am being honest when I say that running shoes are my worse enemy, any of them, I have tried tons of them. Within an hour or if I am lucky a couple, I am in agony. I cannot wear them, period, for any legnth of time. I am having much more luck with the Joseph Seibels and the Birkies. I also am getting some Mephisto sandals and boots, these should help. I am one of those freaks who cannot wear anything totally flat, which is a running shoe or athletic shoe. I wear them at the gym when doing my wieghlifting and then I am out of them.

Thanks
C

Carrie on 10/02/02 at 08:40 (096691)

Ya know for me, if the new balance shoes worked, I don't find them to look at all unfashionable with most of my clothes, other than my dresses of course. I would wear them in a heart beat if they worked for me. The don't have enough firm arch support for me, or enough of a lift in the heel. I have though that maybe with a heel cup it would feel better, but it doesn't. Are those styles you mention mens or womens? I have tried on just about all of them and don't find that much difference in the heel or arch support. they just don't work for me. TOO FLAT. I cannot wear too flat of shoes. I wish I could cause actually with my style of jeans and flaired leg pants the athletic shoes look good, and when not working I wear mostly jeans or work out stuff so the athletic shoes look really good, but since they hurt I have to wear other styles. I would be interested in which website you speak of.

Thanks for the info
hugs
Carrie

JudyS on 10/03/02 at 19:31 (096843)

Same for me, Carrie. I really struggle with athletic shoes (too soft) and, more or less, only wear them to work out in. I almost live in only Josef Siebel with an occasional digression to 'pretty' (but not good for me) shoes. I also do OK now and then with Clarks but find my Mephistos a bit too rigid.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/04/02 at 14:33 (096889)

New Balance makes a 'neutral plane shoe'... they don't try to contour the insides but allow room for inserts such as Superfeet. http://www.superfeet.com
The combination of both is worth a try.
Ed