Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Navicular Accessory

Posted by Stephanie B. on 9/29/02 at 17:00 (096459)

My Daughter is 13 she lives, eats, and breathes basketball. A year ago in a game she felt a pop when she twisted her foot, we iced it down and she stayed off of it a few days, and it felt better a few months later it started bothering her again I took her to have it x-rayed and they sent us to an orthopedic Dr. who put her in an air cast for 4 weeks when she started running on it again the pain has come back no IBP or any thing of that nature works. She says it feels like her bone is trying to poke out her skin. She has a promising future in basketball. Should we consider surgery while she is young?

Re: Navicular Accessory

Dr. Z on 9/29/02 at 18:39 (096471)

There is very common. IT usaully found that the cause is the function of the foot. The foot is rolling in or what we can over pronation. Until she sees a podiatrist who can fully evaluate her biomechanically and determine if in fact there is excesive pronation there will continue. From my experience over pronation is usuallly the cause and a custom fitted orthosis is the treatment which typically will resolve your daughers pain and abnormal foot function

Re: Navicular Accessory

Dr. Z on 9/29/02 at 18:39 (096471)

There is very common. IT usaully found that the cause is the function of the foot. The foot is rolling in or what we can over pronation. Until she sees a podiatrist who can fully evaluate her biomechanically and determine if in fact there is excesive pronation there will continue. From my experience over pronation is usuallly the cause and a custom fitted orthosis is the treatment which typically will resolve your daughers pain and abnormal foot function