Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Severe TTS pain; can't afford being off work for surgery

Posted by Donna on 9/30/02 at 09:14 (096509)

This is my 1st post. I have extremely severe/ mutiple episodes of 'electrical shocks,' 'needle stabbings,' burning (like my foot is cut open & alcohol poured inside, over the exposed tissue), etc, increasing infrequency/severity this past wk. Of course it is sudden,& the pain makes me groan, scream, double over, takes my breath away.I tripled neurontin past 2 wks. My TTS came from having to walk to/from bus stop to get to work ev'ry day, grocery, appts., etc, after idiot ran stop sign, totalling my car.I have severe psoriasis on soles of my feet & his insurance co wouldn't listen that I cannot walk & refused to replace my car B4 we settle case. Iontopheresis in PT is helpful short term. But my job has no disability, & my understanding is u have to be 'disabled' a yr to get SSI. WHAT do I do? Can I walk after surgery? Take care of myself? 16 yr old son has had to give up alot bcuz of me. I know I need surgery-desperately,ASAP on L. foot. TTS in both feet but 'especially worse in the L. foot,' by EMG report. Advice appreciated-thx

Re: welcome to the board

elliott on 9/30/02 at 10:36 (096517)

Sorry for your troubles. I've had bilateral TTS surgeries; maybe I can give you some insight, but it would help if you'd take the time (I hear groans :-)) to answer the questions below:

1. Could you explain exactly where the nerve pain is and radiates to? The more detail the better.

2. Where do you live? Do you have a surgeon in mind?

3. How far did you have to walk and how soon did symptoms come when doing so?

4. What was your lifestyle like before that? Are you obese?

5. Did both feet start up at the same time?

6. Any other medical problems?

7. Did you have any other tests (e.g. xray, MRI, bloodwork) and what were the results?

8. What kind of feet and shoes do you have?

9. Did you try any other types of treatments (e.g. orthotics)?

10. What kind of work do you do (and do you have to stand while doing it)?

[[[[[[[

Re: Severe TTS pain; can't afford being off work for surgery

BrianG on 9/30/02 at 22:44 (096566)

Hi Donna,

A couple ideas for you. You do not have to be disabled for a year to apply for SSD. You only have to prove to them that you 'will be' disabled for at least a year. A good doctor,or lawyer is invaluable here, but you can do the paper work your self. You can apply anytime that you can't work.

Second, you might not realize it, but feet problems can sometimes be harder to cure than heart attacks. Would you still feel you had to go to work if you had a heart attack? There are many benefits available through state Medicaid programs, churches, charities, etc. You have to decide what is best for you, at this point of your life. It's entirely possible you will not be able to work through this pain, and it will only get worse.

If you have questions, ask them. People here have been through just about everything that you can think of. Do you have a friend, or relative that can make calls, advocate for you? It'll take a lot of the stress off you. Stress will make an injury even harder to heal. I wish you well, try the search engine here on this site, and read Scott's book. Both will help.

Good luck
BrianG

PS: You DO NOT desperatly need surgery at this point, it can make you worse!!!!! Time to do some research, and get some 2nd and 3rd opinions.

Re: Beautifully Said!I agree that yes there are things left(EOM)

Tammie on 10/03/02 at 08:52 (096788)

To help you Besides surgery!Research it totaly Please! We will be here for what ever you need . Even for just a pat on your back!!!

Re: Elliott, Is really very helpful!

Tammie on 10/03/02 at 09:04 (096791)

Try to give what info you can as he is extreamly knowledeable of this area!! I do hope this helps as I think this is a very good start! Maybe good to print out then keep for your visit with your Dr.To kinda compare things that might be said. It could be very helpful! It seems that some people have white coat syndrom and when we sit down we are in awe of this Dr. who we think is going to cure us with a few words and wala we are now fixed for life! To bad darn it but most it soes not work! By the ways I am a white coat person !

Lately Tho I am very angry about me and my condition and I am learning to be a bit more assertive as I am not taking that step back wards to the wheelchair! I do use this ugly cane and the rubber handle stinks I hat it and intend to drop it somewhere some time soon! Please try hard to give yourself a large pat as you know this is your body and you can and have every right to get what you want and the best Dr for you! Dont settle for any doc this dr. may be ending your life in a fashion that you may not like. But be assertive and learn all you can and listen to your dr.s and make your own choices dont allow them to con you into a miracle if there is not one .Take care and Good Luck! Surgery has no 100% as well as other methods what ever you choose give it your 100% and do what ever you are told to do !

Re: is anybody home?

elliott on 10/16/02 at 08:43 (097612)

Carmen H, you're right.

[]

Re: welcome to the board

elliott on 9/30/02 at 10:36 (096517)

Sorry for your troubles. I've had bilateral TTS surgeries; maybe I can give you some insight, but it would help if you'd take the time (I hear groans :-)) to answer the questions below:

1. Could you explain exactly where the nerve pain is and radiates to? The more detail the better.

2. Where do you live? Do you have a surgeon in mind?

3. How far did you have to walk and how soon did symptoms come when doing so?

4. What was your lifestyle like before that? Are you obese?

5. Did both feet start up at the same time?

6. Any other medical problems?

7. Did you have any other tests (e.g. xray, MRI, bloodwork) and what were the results?

8. What kind of feet and shoes do you have?

9. Did you try any other types of treatments (e.g. orthotics)?

10. What kind of work do you do (and do you have to stand while doing it)?

[[[[[[[

Re: Severe TTS pain; can't afford being off work for surgery

BrianG on 9/30/02 at 22:44 (096566)

Hi Donna,

A couple ideas for you. You do not have to be disabled for a year to apply for SSD. You only have to prove to them that you 'will be' disabled for at least a year. A good doctor,or lawyer is invaluable here, but you can do the paper work your self. You can apply anytime that you can't work.

Second, you might not realize it, but feet problems can sometimes be harder to cure than heart attacks. Would you still feel you had to go to work if you had a heart attack? There are many benefits available through state Medicaid programs, churches, charities, etc. You have to decide what is best for you, at this point of your life. It's entirely possible you will not be able to work through this pain, and it will only get worse.

If you have questions, ask them. People here have been through just about everything that you can think of. Do you have a friend, or relative that can make calls, advocate for you? It'll take a lot of the stress off you. Stress will make an injury even harder to heal. I wish you well, try the search engine here on this site, and read Scott's book. Both will help.

Good luck
BrianG

PS: You DO NOT desperatly need surgery at this point, it can make you worse!!!!! Time to do some research, and get some 2nd and 3rd opinions.

Re: Beautifully Said!I agree that yes there are things left(EOM)

Tammie on 10/03/02 at 08:52 (096788)

To help you Besides surgery!Research it totaly Please! We will be here for what ever you need . Even for just a pat on your back!!!

Re: Elliott, Is really very helpful!

Tammie on 10/03/02 at 09:04 (096791)

Try to give what info you can as he is extreamly knowledeable of this area!! I do hope this helps as I think this is a very good start! Maybe good to print out then keep for your visit with your Dr.To kinda compare things that might be said. It could be very helpful! It seems that some people have white coat syndrom and when we sit down we are in awe of this Dr. who we think is going to cure us with a few words and wala we are now fixed for life! To bad darn it but most it soes not work! By the ways I am a white coat person !

Lately Tho I am very angry about me and my condition and I am learning to be a bit more assertive as I am not taking that step back wards to the wheelchair! I do use this ugly cane and the rubber handle stinks I hat it and intend to drop it somewhere some time soon! Please try hard to give yourself a large pat as you know this is your body and you can and have every right to get what you want and the best Dr for you! Dont settle for any doc this dr. may be ending your life in a fashion that you may not like. But be assertive and learn all you can and listen to your dr.s and make your own choices dont allow them to con you into a miracle if there is not one .Take care and Good Luck! Surgery has no 100% as well as other methods what ever you choose give it your 100% and do what ever you are told to do !

Re: is anybody home?

elliott on 10/16/02 at 08:43 (097612)

Carmen H, you're right.

[]