Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carmen, stay safe!!!!

Posted by BrianG on 10/02/02 at 21:55 (096764)

I don't know what happened to your post, but it seems to be happening quite a bit lately. You might be able to ride out the rain, but this storm has got some BIG wind with it. The wind can cause much worse damage than the water. I'd think about getting out if it looks like your gonna take a close hit. You too Carole!!!!!

Good luck
BrianG

Re: Thanks, Brian

Carole C in NOLA on 10/03/02 at 03:49 (096772)

Thanks, Brian. So far (4:17 AM) we are having rainfall and sporadic gusts of wind, just like a normal storm here in Metairie (a suburb just west of New Orleans). Lili has not yet made landfall.

The person to pray for is Rich. She's in Lafayette, closer to landfall than me. I just hope she decided to take her children and leave for a safer area!!!

Carole C

Re: Carmen, stay safe!!!!

Carmen H on 10/03/02 at 08:10 (096778)

Thanks Brian! That post was from last Thursday....the water was about 4 feet from my house and when the city came out and took a look he said he'd be back later to check on us.
Luckily the force of the rain started the water flowing nad it receded into the drainage behind us...it wsa a mess.
My dog wouldn't go out side for anything so we reverted to peeing on the paper by the door...she was not having anything to do with it!
Floods are not comon where we are...but we had some people lose their homes last week according to the Red cross when I was there yesterday.
thanks again!

Re: We're thinking of you all, Carmen, Rich and Carole

Kathy G on 10/03/02 at 08:13 (096780)

Hope you are all safe. I was glad to see that the storm seems to be less intense than it was last night.

Take care and be safe. You'll all be in our thoughts!

Necee on 10/03/02 at 10:47 (096800)

I hope that you all are safe......you're in my thoughts and prayers.
Let us know how you are when you get a chance.

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 10/03/02 at 11:10 (096802)

What did the flood come from? I know you live in Tennessee and the hurricane was not even affecting the area of landfall in southern Louisiana when you wrote your post.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 10/03/02 at 11:12 (096803)

You are right... all is well here in New Orleans, because the hurricane really lost its intensity before coming ashore. It could have been bad, otherwise! Thanks for thinking of me.

I hope Rich is OK too.

Carole C

Carmen H on 10/03/02 at 13:02 (096811)

Last Thursday we got a MAJOR storm...it rained HARD...not even just little drops...major sheets of rain for the entire day without let up...on into the night. By 5:00 the backyard ditch was filled up to my deck.
NO kidding.
The neighbors were in a panic. I have no idea where the weather came from except that they had flash flood warnings all day long. We are on the border of KY as well which may have been hit pretty hard b/c when I went out to our farm the next day...I got stuck and BARELY made it out of that mess.
My truck sunk into the ground when we were walking around the farm.
Husband was a tiny bit aggravated with wife.
Tahoe was destroyed with mud...it's still falling off after I sprayed the heck out of it.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/03/02 at 15:56 (096824)

Wow! I am so glad that you got your truck out! Let's hope that you have a chance to dry out, up there. I had no idea what was going on in Tennessee.

I know what major rain is like and I agree with you; it's awful. We got over 20 inches in one day with last week's tropical storm, officially. Definitely waterlogged, and a lot of streets were impassable, even the interstate which was under 15 feet of water in one place about a mile from my home, according to the news.

Maybe you can take your truck to a car wash and have THEM spray off the dirt. (grin)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 10/03/02 at 16:02 (096826)

Carole, I am glad you were spared the worst that could have come from the storm. I, too, hope Rich is alright. And Carmen, I think I know what that downpour was like last Thursday! It poured here in my part of KY (not that far from you!) all day and night. I was out with my daughter who had dance lessons. It was one of those turn-your-umbrella-inside-out-rains which soaked you to the skin when you had to go from place to place. Your dog was smart to stay put!

I hope everyone weathers the storms with no problems.

Suzanne :-)

Pete on 10/03/02 at 16:08 (096828)

Good luck to you all affected by the weather.

We had a minor, very minor, earth tremour in England last week measuring 4.8 on th Richter scale. My house is about 10 miles from the centre of the tremour and it woke me up, however, you would have thought it measured a 10 given the public / media frenzy to it the next day. Lucky we don't get them very often !

JudyS on 10/03/02 at 19:17 (096841)

Hope you guys are all well out there in the storm area.....

Re: I have to be mssing something here :*)

BrianG on 10/03/02 at 22:00 (096848)

Carmen, could you elaborate on just who was peeing on the paper by the door, if the dog would have nothing to do with it? hahaaa

Re: Carmen and Suzanne, look out!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/04/02 at 06:27 (096851)

Here comes Lili!

Lots of wind with this one.

Carole C

Carmen H on 10/04/02 at 07:34 (096854)

You're a hoot!

Re: THANKS all and you're right CArole!

Carmen H on 10/04/02 at 07:34 (096855)

Here it is. YUCK. Rain and wiiinnndyyy!
I hate days like these.....

Re: Same here!

Suzanne D on 10/04/02 at 09:21 (096862)

It is quite windy, and the rain is coming...There's a river about a mile from my house which 'got up' during the last downpour. Fortunately, where we live has never been affected by high water.

You should have seen the water on our big old iron bridge about 5 years ago when we had a period of several days of unrelenting rain. The bridge is usually FAR above the river (I'm not good at estimating distances!), but the water came up to the floor of the bridge and then on to the rails along the sides. There was much flood damage that time. My two most vivid images of that flood were the picnic tables at the nearby church camp stuck up in trees and a raccoon desperately hanging onto a tree branch above the bridge with the water swirling around underneath him.

I hope everyone here stays safe!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/04/02 at 10:59 (096872)

Wow, what a vivid story! Suzanne, you are a good writer and I can almost see that poor little raccoon. I wonder if that was the May, 1995 flood that they talk about so much here? It flooded almost every building in New Orleans, and one of the selling points of my house was when the sellers told me it had never flooded, 'not even in 1995'.

I'm glad you don't have to worry about high water where you live. The wind might bring any loose tree limbs down, though, so be careful when you're out driving! :)

Carole

Carole C in NOLA on 10/04/02 at 11:00 (096873)

I agree 100%! Be careful of fallen tree branches, and I hope you can stay safe and dry.

Carole

Suzanne D on 10/04/02 at 11:18 (096874)

Thank you, Carole. You know, I'm not only not good at estimating distances, I also don't recall dates very well! Come to think of it, 1995 sounds about right for the date of the flood here. I was thinking 5 years ago, but I remember my husband carrying our youngest daughter across a flooded area, and that would make more sense being a little longer ago than 5 years ago.

Your mentioning falling tree limbs brought to mind another story: My daughters were around 5 and 10 years old, I believe, and my husband had worked all day building them a tree house. Just as he was completing the last of the work, one of those quick summer storms blew up. It became so intense that the four of us retreated to our basement. After a horrible crash and boom, my husband went up the steps to investigate out the front window. He came down with the bad news that one of our trees was down. Trying to remain positive, I said, 'Well, at least it wasn't the tree with the new tree house!'

You guessed it: within 15 minutes or less, THAT tree was also struck and 2/3 of the tree split off and fell. The part with the tree house remained. It was odd looking and didn't have much shade for a few years until some new limbs grew out, but the tree house never came down until my husband took it down about 4 years ago. With our oldest leaving for college, he had to admit that it wasn't ever going to see any more use!

It is simply POURING here right now! IF we were at school, I would no doubt be reading FRANKLIN AND THE THUNDERSTORM or some such book as I would have some scared students.

Take care!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/04/02 at 11:52 (096881)

Suzanne, just since my last post it started POURING here too! This was supposed to stop after Lili left! LOL

It may never end. :)

I'll bet your kids were sure glad that the treehouse didn't come down in that storm. :)

Carole C

Re: Thanks, Brian

Carole C in NOLA on 10/03/02 at 03:49 (096772)

Thanks, Brian. So far (4:17 AM) we are having rainfall and sporadic gusts of wind, just like a normal storm here in Metairie (a suburb just west of New Orleans). Lili has not yet made landfall.

The person to pray for is Rich. She's in Lafayette, closer to landfall than me. I just hope she decided to take her children and leave for a safer area!!!

Carole C

Carmen H on 10/03/02 at 08:10 (096778)

Thanks Brian! That post was from last Thursday....the water was about 4 feet from my house and when the city came out and took a look he said he'd be back later to check on us.
Luckily the force of the rain started the water flowing nad it receded into the drainage behind us...it wsa a mess.
My dog wouldn't go out side for anything so we reverted to peeing on the paper by the door...she was not having anything to do with it!
Floods are not comon where we are...but we had some people lose their homes last week according to the Red cross when I was there yesterday.
thanks again!

Kathy G on 10/03/02 at 08:13 (096780)

Hope you are all safe. I was glad to see that the storm seems to be less intense than it was last night.

Take care and be safe. You'll all be in our thoughts!

Necee on 10/03/02 at 10:47 (096800)

I hope that you all are safe......you're in my thoughts and prayers.
Let us know how you are when you get a chance.

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 10/03/02 at 11:10 (096802)

What did the flood come from? I know you live in Tennessee and the hurricane was not even affecting the area of landfall in southern Louisiana when you wrote your post.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 10/03/02 at 11:12 (096803)

You are right... all is well here in New Orleans, because the hurricane really lost its intensity before coming ashore. It could have been bad, otherwise! Thanks for thinking of me.

I hope Rich is OK too.

Carole C

Carmen H on 10/03/02 at 13:02 (096811)

Last Thursday we got a MAJOR storm...it rained HARD...not even just little drops...major sheets of rain for the entire day without let up...on into the night. By 5:00 the backyard ditch was filled up to my deck.
NO kidding.
The neighbors were in a panic. I have no idea where the weather came from except that they had flash flood warnings all day long. We are on the border of KY as well which may have been hit pretty hard b/c when I went out to our farm the next day...I got stuck and BARELY made it out of that mess.
My truck sunk into the ground when we were walking around the farm.
Husband was a tiny bit aggravated with wife.
Tahoe was destroyed with mud...it's still falling off after I sprayed the heck out of it.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/03/02 at 15:56 (096824)

Wow! I am so glad that you got your truck out! Let's hope that you have a chance to dry out, up there. I had no idea what was going on in Tennessee.

I know what major rain is like and I agree with you; it's awful. We got over 20 inches in one day with last week's tropical storm, officially. Definitely waterlogged, and a lot of streets were impassable, even the interstate which was under 15 feet of water in one place about a mile from my home, according to the news.

Maybe you can take your truck to a car wash and have THEM spray off the dirt. (grin)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 10/03/02 at 16:02 (096826)

Carole, I am glad you were spared the worst that could have come from the storm. I, too, hope Rich is alright. And Carmen, I think I know what that downpour was like last Thursday! It poured here in my part of KY (not that far from you!) all day and night. I was out with my daughter who had dance lessons. It was one of those turn-your-umbrella-inside-out-rains which soaked you to the skin when you had to go from place to place. Your dog was smart to stay put!

I hope everyone weathers the storms with no problems.

Pete on 10/03/02 at 16:08 (096828)

Good luck to you all affected by the weather.

We had a minor, very minor, earth tremour in England last week measuring 4.8 on th Richter scale. My house is about 10 miles from the centre of the tremour and it woke me up, however, you would have thought it measured a 10 given the public / media frenzy to it the next day. Lucky we don't get them very often !

JudyS on 10/03/02 at 19:17 (096841)

Hope you guys are all well out there in the storm area.....

BrianG on 10/03/02 at 22:00 (096848)

Carmen, could you elaborate on just who was peeing on the paper by the door, if the dog would have nothing to do with it? hahaaa

Re: Carmen and Suzanne, look out!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/04/02 at 06:27 (096851)

Here comes Lili!

Lots of wind with this one.

Carole C

Carmen H on 10/04/02 at 07:34 (096854)

You're a hoot!

Carmen H on 10/04/02 at 07:34 (096855)

Here it is. YUCK. Rain and wiiinnndyyy!
I hate days like these.....

Suzanne D on 10/04/02 at 09:21 (096862)

It is quite windy, and the rain is coming...There's a river about a mile from my house which 'got up' during the last downpour. Fortunately, where we live has never been affected by high water.

You should have seen the water on our big old iron bridge about 5 years ago when we had a period of several days of unrelenting rain. The bridge is usually FAR above the river (I'm not good at estimating distances!), but the water came up to the floor of the bridge and then on to the rails along the sides. There was much flood damage that time. My two most vivid images of that flood were the picnic tables at the nearby church camp stuck up in trees and a raccoon desperately hanging onto a tree branch above the bridge with the water swirling around underneath him.

I hope everyone here stays safe!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/04/02 at 10:59 (096872)

Wow, what a vivid story! Suzanne, you are a good writer and I can almost see that poor little raccoon. I wonder if that was the May, 1995 flood that they talk about so much here? It flooded almost every building in New Orleans, and one of the selling points of my house was when the sellers told me it had never flooded, 'not even in 1995'.

I'm glad you don't have to worry about high water where you live. The wind might bring any loose tree limbs down, though, so be careful when you're out driving! :)

Carole

Carole C in NOLA on 10/04/02 at 11:00 (096873)

I agree 100%! Be careful of fallen tree branches, and I hope you can stay safe and dry.

Carole

Suzanne D on 10/04/02 at 11:18 (096874)

Thank you, Carole. You know, I'm not only not good at estimating distances, I also don't recall dates very well! Come to think of it, 1995 sounds about right for the date of the flood here. I was thinking 5 years ago, but I remember my husband carrying our youngest daughter across a flooded area, and that would make more sense being a little longer ago than 5 years ago.

Your mentioning falling tree limbs brought to mind another story: My daughters were around 5 and 10 years old, I believe, and my husband had worked all day building them a tree house. Just as he was completing the last of the work, one of those quick summer storms blew up. It became so intense that the four of us retreated to our basement. After a horrible crash and boom, my husband went up the steps to investigate out the front window. He came down with the bad news that one of our trees was down. Trying to remain positive, I said, 'Well, at least it wasn't the tree with the new tree house!'

You guessed it: within 15 minutes or less, THAT tree was also struck and 2/3 of the tree split off and fell. The part with the tree house remained. It was odd looking and didn't have much shade for a few years until some new limbs grew out, but the tree house never came down until my husband took it down about 4 years ago. With our oldest leaving for college, he had to admit that it wasn't ever going to see any more use!

It is simply POURING here right now! IF we were at school, I would no doubt be reading FRANKLIN AND THE THUNDERSTORM or some such book as I would have some scared students.

Take care!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/04/02 at 11:52 (096881)

Suzanne, just since my last post it started POURING here too! This was supposed to stop after Lili left! LOL

It may never end. :)

I'll bet your kids were sure glad that the treehouse didn't come down in that storm. :)

Carole C