Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post plantar fasciitis surgery pain

Posted by Scott H on 10/03/02 at 20:32 (096847)

After plantar fasciotomy in 1-02 I have been experiencing excessive pain across the top of the arch ( I have a high arched foot), from my last 3 toes along the outside of my foot toward the ankle bone and up behind the ankle bone. When I put full weight on the foot, it really feels like my arch is going to break in two, and is extremely painful. I have custom orthodics, and am taking indomethacin for anti inflammatory, however it does not seem to help. I make my living on my feet in steel toed work boots, on concrete, 10-15 hours a day 5-6 days a week. I am only 30 and concerned about my future mobility. The Dr. does not want to prescribe pain meds, and sent me to a pain management Dr. who performed nerve and muscle tests which both come back normal. So right now, I have no answers, no relief, and a very sore foot......and getting extremely frustrated. Any ideas??? Suggestions, besides get a desk job?

Thanks for your time and help.

Scott

Re: Post plantar fasciitis surgery pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/04/02 at 09:07 (096860)

Hi,

What has happen is the plantar fascia release has changed the structure and function of your foot. The plantar fascia is like a weight bearing wall in any building. When the weight bearing wall is weak the entire support of the building has changed.

Now what to do
1. Time can help this sometimes one year plus
2. A brace for the foot and ankle
to wear in your boot
3. Pain medications if nothing else works.

There can be improvement in time but it is sometimes slow and sometimes never comes. I don't want to be negative but this is one of the complications of plantar fascia release.

I would go for the brace at this stage since no relief with the orthosis. Feel free to ask any questions

Joe S on 10/04/02 at 13:26 (096882)

Simple question... Have you tried switching work boots? Did you have your orthotics before the surgery or after? How long after the surgery did your pain start? Do you still have heel pain (like you did before surgery)? What makes the pain better / worse? Have you sought another opinion?

J. King on 10/10/02 at 14:55 (097248)

I worked on concrete for years. I lasted until I was about 47 and then my feet really went to hell.My feet hurt for 17 years. If you are 30 and having this much trouble I would consider a job that does not require standing all day. I know that is easier said than done, but your feet are just going to totally give out. Don't wait until you are 50 to start looking around for something else to do. This is just my opinion.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/04/02 at 09:07 (096860)

Hi,

What has happen is the plantar fascia release has changed the structure and function of your foot. The plantar fascia is like a weight bearing wall in any building. When the weight bearing wall is weak the entire support of the building has changed.

Now what to do
1. Time can help this sometimes one year plus
2. A brace for the foot and ankle
to wear in your boot
3. Pain medications if nothing else works.

There can be improvement in time but it is sometimes slow and sometimes never comes. I don't want to be negative but this is one of the complications of plantar fascia release.

I would go for the brace at this stage since no relief with the orthosis. Feel free to ask any questions

Joe S on 10/04/02 at 13:26 (096882)

Simple question... Have you tried switching work boots? Did you have your orthotics before the surgery or after? How long after the surgery did your pain start? Do you still have heel pain (like you did before surgery)? What makes the pain better / worse? Have you sought another opinion?

J. King on 10/10/02 at 14:55 (097248)

I worked on concrete for years. I lasted until I was about 47 and then my feet really went to hell.My feet hurt for 17 years. If you are 30 and having this much trouble I would consider a job that does not require standing all day. I know that is easier said than done, but your feet are just going to totally give out. Don't wait until you are 50 to start looking around for something else to do. This is just my opinion.