Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Updates on my progress

Posted by RonB on 10/03/02 at 22:30 (096850)

Hi guys,
With my TTS release and tendon removal I was 6 weeks with no weight bare. I had an automatic pain pump for the first week but the next two weeks were rough!!! Then 3 weeks in physical therapy and at the 9th week I was back to work (I wore an air cast up to this point). In the next three weeks I experience swelling when I walked too much. The doc gave me a gel filled supporting sock and this helped tremendously. At 15 weeks I have no swelling. I still take the pain meds 4x a day but I can sleep at night! I still walk with a cane but no more shocking and burning pain! No more wheel chair and air casts! Per the doc the pain I have now is an inflammation pain. The doc adjusted my orthotics to compensate. He says a minimum of 6 months is required before pain will subside (2.5 more months to go). I still have some numbness in my toes but the feeling may take up to a year to return. I would say I am at about 60% now.
RonB

Re: Updates on my progress

Missy B on 10/04/02 at 19:31 (096902)

Hi Ron,
Glad to hear your good news - keep up the good work.

Like you, I was still taking pain meds at 15 weeks - for me it was ibuprofen. And yes, it does take several months for the pain to subside.
I waited until after my surgery to be fitted for my present orthotics and they have made a great difference in my comfort level. I still have one small area of numbness in the bottom of my foot, but all other feeling has slowly returned.

I am nine months post-op from TT/PF surgery, and I have finally reached the 90-95% improvement level. This is not to say that I don't still have some bad days when some pain returns, especially when the weather is about to change or I have an exceptionally bad day at work and don't get to sit down very much. But the pain is not as severe, does not last like before the surgery, and seems to center more around the incision area and my arch - it is more of a nagging ache than severe pain. I also experience some shooting pains around the nerve area (around the incision), but these come and go quickly and my pod says it is probably the nerve firing. It really doesn't bother me.

So please continue to take care of your foot - sounds as though your recuperation is progressing nicely. Don't get discouraged if you get a few bad days now and then - hopefully they will never be as bad as what you suffered before your surgery.

Keep us posted.

Missy B.

RonB on 10/11/02 at 23:51 (097363)

Thanks for the support.

Saw my doc again today & he adjusted my orthotics again. I hope that this will do the trick. It is very encouraging to hear that you are 90 - 95 %!!!

Told someone today at work that if I were a horse they would have shot me by now :-)

Missy B on 10/04/02 at 19:31 (096902)

Hi Ron,
Glad to hear your good news - keep up the good work.

Like you, I was still taking pain meds at 15 weeks - for me it was ibuprofen. And yes, it does take several months for the pain to subside.
I waited until after my surgery to be fitted for my present orthotics and they have made a great difference in my comfort level. I still have one small area of numbness in the bottom of my foot, but all other feeling has slowly returned.

I am nine months post-op from TT/PF surgery, and I have finally reached the 90-95% improvement level. This is not to say that I don't still have some bad days when some pain returns, especially when the weather is about to change or I have an exceptionally bad day at work and don't get to sit down very much. But the pain is not as severe, does not last like before the surgery, and seems to center more around the incision area and my arch - it is more of a nagging ache than severe pain. I also experience some shooting pains around the nerve area (around the incision), but these come and go quickly and my pod says it is probably the nerve firing. It really doesn't bother me.

So please continue to take care of your foot - sounds as though your recuperation is progressing nicely. Don't get discouraged if you get a few bad days now and then - hopefully they will never be as bad as what you suffered before your surgery.

Keep us posted.

Missy B.

RonB on 10/11/02 at 23:51 (097363)

Thanks for the support.

Saw my doc again today & he adjusted my orthotics again. I hope that this will do the trick. It is very encouraging to hear that you are 90 - 95 %!!!

Told someone today at work that if I were a horse they would have shot me by now :-)