Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A minor (I hope) setback

Posted by Andrue on 10/05/02 at 03:42 (096908)

The road to recovery is never straightforward..

I got up to get a beer from the fridge last night and it hurt! Right in the middle of the underside of my foot. Feels like a bruise but whatever it is it doesn't like being stretched either. The odd thing is I haven't done anything recently that I think would aggravate it and it was fine earlier in the evening.

The only thing I did was 'Julies stretches' - could I have been a bit too enthusiastic with them?

I had to go shopping this morning and after five minutes walking the pain had pretty well gone away but now it's itching a bit. Oh well - I'm not driving next week and I can put my feet up over the weekend. Hopefully it will recover quite quickly.

Re: A minor (I hope) setback

Suzanne D on 10/05/02 at 08:26 (096914)

Hi, Andrue. Your statement, 'The road to recovery is never straightforward..' certainly rings true from my own experience and from what I have read of many people's experiences through the past year on this board.

Sometimes we just can't figure out WHAT it was that precipitated the setback. We always try to understand it so as to avoid repeating it in the future, but often, it just doesn't make sense. That seems to be the nature of this ailment.

I've had that itching feeling as well. I really don't know what to attribute that to, although I keep remembering that my mama always said, 'Itching is a sign of healing'. I don't know if that applies to PF, but I like to think it does!

As far as stretching too enthusiastically, I suppose one could. I am not as educated on stretching as many who post here, so I will let one of them comment on that. I DO also use 'Julie's stretches' daily. In fact, they are such a habit for me that I find myself doing them as I am waking up!

I hope the weekend helps you get over this little hump!

Suzanne :-)

Andrue on 10/05/02 at 11:06 (096922)

Thanks for the kind words. I've only just begun to think that I might be recovered by the end of the year - serves me right for being too optimistic. To be fair (as if one should be fair to PF) this is the first pain I've felt above level 1 for over a month. That point has always been sensitive to pressure so perhaps something has just irritated it. I've noticed in the past that you can set those points off by annoying them.

Oh well - it won't put me off the beer :)

Ellen J. on 10/05/02 at 20:15 (096951)

Hi Andrue,
It might have been from just a little too much stretching. I have done the same thing. In each case, my foot was much better after just a few days. Also, I sometimes get a pain here or there in my foot that has no apparent cause. Most of the time it goes away in a few minutes or hours or sometimes days but for me it's usually been temporary.
I hope it's very temporary for you.
Ellen J.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/05/02 at 21:43 (096954)

Sometimes I need to stretch a little before I get up. Sometimes I don't. I don't understand why.

Here's a simple little trick you might want to try. Before standing, try rotating your feet a little at the ankle and dorsiflexing them a little, to see if things feel stiff and tight. If they do, try some gentle stretching before you stand so that you don't re-injure yourself.

Hope this helps the next time you want a beer. :)

Carole C

Andrue on 10/06/02 at 02:40 (096962)

This morning it's better than yesterday. Wearing shoes aggravates it by putting pressure on it. Bear foot doesn't. Luckily I don't need to move around much on a Sunday so hopefully by tomorrow it'll be gone completely.

Andrue on 10/06/02 at 02:41 (096963)

Well an alternative to a beer (and one that I prefer) is to have a bottle of wine to hand. Wine doesn't go flat and if it's red it doesn't need to be kept chilled. The perfect drink to have by your side :)

Kathy G on 10/07/02 at 09:17 (097010)

Andrue,

Glad your feet seem to be improving. I find that when the arch section of my foot hurts, it frequently gets itchy, too. If any area of my body gets swollen, it itches so that's what I attribute it to. I'm probably wrong but the explanation works for me!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/07/02 at 12:11 (097017)

I thought you were in England, anyway, where people drink their beer warm? Or maybe that was in times past.

I like wine better anyway. I don't drink, but now and then I'll have a glass to celebrate something.

Carole C

Andrue on 10/08/02 at 03:06 (097056)

Beer isn't usually warm but it is often only slightly cooled when served from a tap. In the case of home beer it's usually best drunk from the fridge since it's nigh-on impossible to get a decent beer out of a bottle or can.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/08/02 at 17:41 (097102)

That's very interesting, Andrue! I doubt I will ever travel to England, but it's still interesting to hear about other places. We at heelspurs.com come from many fascinating parts of the world. :)

Carole

Suzanne D on 10/05/02 at 08:26 (096914)

Hi, Andrue. Your statement, 'The road to recovery is never straightforward..' certainly rings true from my own experience and from what I have read of many people's experiences through the past year on this board.

Sometimes we just can't figure out WHAT it was that precipitated the setback. We always try to understand it so as to avoid repeating it in the future, but often, it just doesn't make sense. That seems to be the nature of this ailment.

I've had that itching feeling as well. I really don't know what to attribute that to, although I keep remembering that my mama always said, 'Itching is a sign of healing'. I don't know if that applies to PF, but I like to think it does!

As far as stretching too enthusiastically, I suppose one could. I am not as educated on stretching as many who post here, so I will let one of them comment on that. I DO also use 'Julie's stretches' daily. In fact, they are such a habit for me that I find myself doing them as I am waking up!

I hope the weekend helps you get over this little hump!

Suzanne :-)

Andrue on 10/05/02 at 11:06 (096922)

Thanks for the kind words. I've only just begun to think that I might be recovered by the end of the year - serves me right for being too optimistic. To be fair (as if one should be fair to PF) this is the first pain I've felt above level 1 for over a month. That point has always been sensitive to pressure so perhaps something has just irritated it. I've noticed in the past that you can set those points off by annoying them.

Oh well - it won't put me off the beer :)

Ellen J. on 10/05/02 at 20:15 (096951)

Hi Andrue,
It might have been from just a little too much stretching. I have done the same thing. In each case, my foot was much better after just a few days. Also, I sometimes get a pain here or there in my foot that has no apparent cause. Most of the time it goes away in a few minutes or hours or sometimes days but for me it's usually been temporary.
I hope it's very temporary for you.
Ellen J.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/05/02 at 21:43 (096954)

Sometimes I need to stretch a little before I get up. Sometimes I don't. I don't understand why.

Here's a simple little trick you might want to try. Before standing, try rotating your feet a little at the ankle and dorsiflexing them a little, to see if things feel stiff and tight. If they do, try some gentle stretching before you stand so that you don't re-injure yourself.

Hope this helps the next time you want a beer. :)

Carole C

Andrue on 10/06/02 at 02:40 (096962)

This morning it's better than yesterday. Wearing shoes aggravates it by putting pressure on it. Bear foot doesn't. Luckily I don't need to move around much on a Sunday so hopefully by tomorrow it'll be gone completely.

Andrue on 10/06/02 at 02:41 (096963)

Well an alternative to a beer (and one that I prefer) is to have a bottle of wine to hand. Wine doesn't go flat and if it's red it doesn't need to be kept chilled. The perfect drink to have by your side :)

Kathy G on 10/07/02 at 09:17 (097010)

Andrue,

Glad your feet seem to be improving. I find that when the arch section of my foot hurts, it frequently gets itchy, too. If any area of my body gets swollen, it itches so that's what I attribute it to. I'm probably wrong but the explanation works for me!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/07/02 at 12:11 (097017)

I thought you were in England, anyway, where people drink their beer warm? Or maybe that was in times past.

I like wine better anyway. I don't drink, but now and then I'll have a glass to celebrate something.

Carole C

Andrue on 10/08/02 at 03:06 (097056)

Beer isn't usually warm but it is often only slightly cooled when served from a tap. In the case of home beer it's usually best drunk from the fridge since it's nigh-on impossible to get a decent beer out of a bottle or can.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/08/02 at 17:41 (097102)

That's very interesting, Andrue! I doubt I will ever travel to England, but it's still interesting to hear about other places. We at heelspurs.com come from many fascinating parts of the world. :)

Carole