Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can an ankle joint be tightened surgically to stop foot pain?

Posted by Sandy H. on 10/05/02 at 06:13 (096911)

I have gained a lot of relief for PF and tibialis posterior pain with a new set of orthotics but my ankle is now sore and a physio and pod I saw said that I may have some impingement at the talus or other joints just as I toe off because of the position the orthotics are putting my foot and joint laxity in my left foot. The pain is around the top of my ankle and walking down stairs landing on the toe is when it hurts most. Can I 1) tighten the ligaments myself to ensure less movement in some way or 2) get some surgery to tigthen things up. It's been 2 years of on again off again use of orthotics for me with one problem if I do wear them and the others if I don't.

Re: Can an ankle joint be tightened surgically to stop foot pain?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/05/02 at 11:43 (096928)

Yes, the ankle joint can be tightened surgically BUT I would focus on the orthotics. Make sure the orthotics are not over-inverting your foot, paying close attention to the forefoot area: sometimes when working to reduce subtalar joint pronation, orthotics will fail to adequately pronate the midtarsal joint (desirable). I am not familiar with your foot type and biomechanics so I am generalizing. Consider heating the lateral edge of the orthotic toward the forefoot and increasing the convexity there.
Also, try a very stable running shoe with the orthotic such as a New Balance 1121, Brooks Ariel, Brooks Addiction V or Addiction WT.
Ed

Sandy H. on 10/08/02 at 08:42 (097064)

My pod gave me one without forefoot posting which seems to help. Would that do. I wear NB 854s.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/02 at 20:06 (097291)

I cannot say for sure without knowing more about your biomechanics.
The NB854 is a stable shoe and a good choice but the shoes I have listed are more stable.
Ed

Sandy H. on 10/11/02 at 08:41 (097302)

left leg longer than the right partly because hip is rotated out of neutral so it wobbles to compensate. Seems like it either wobbles too much one way or the other....trying to correct the hip through physio exercise and core strengthening....but its been 3 months and only a little progress.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/05/02 at 11:43 (096928)

Yes, the ankle joint can be tightened surgically BUT I would focus on the orthotics. Make sure the orthotics are not over-inverting your foot, paying close attention to the forefoot area: sometimes when working to reduce subtalar joint pronation, orthotics will fail to adequately pronate the midtarsal joint (desirable). I am not familiar with your foot type and biomechanics so I am generalizing. Consider heating the lateral edge of the orthotic toward the forefoot and increasing the convexity there.
Also, try a very stable running shoe with the orthotic such as a New Balance 1121, Brooks Ariel, Brooks Addiction V or Addiction WT.
Ed

Sandy H. on 10/08/02 at 08:42 (097064)

My pod gave me one without forefoot posting which seems to help. Would that do. I wear NB 854s.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/02 at 20:06 (097291)

I cannot say for sure without knowing more about your biomechanics.
The NB854 is a stable shoe and a good choice but the shoes I have listed are more stable.
Ed

Sandy H. on 10/11/02 at 08:41 (097302)

left leg longer than the right partly because hip is rotated out of neutral so it wobbles to compensate. Seems like it either wobbles too much one way or the other....trying to correct the hip through physio exercise and core strengthening....but its been 3 months and only a little progress.