Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

something odd in our backyard...

Posted by Suzanne D on 10/05/02 at 09:08 (096915)

Hello, Friends!
It is nice to be in the lower 60's this morning after a week in the 80's; it makes it seem more like fall. After the rains yesterday, the temperature has dropped.

Something else occured after the rains: there is an almost complete, perfect circle of mushrooms/toadstools (I don't really know the difference!) in our backyard. They are large mushrooms - ranging from about 6' - 10' in diameter and sprang up in an almost perfect circle which would probably be about 15 feet in diameter.

Someone told me that the center of a circle of mushrooms is where the fairies live, and the first one to jump in the circle can make a wish, but even my first grade mentality resisted that one! (Besides, I think my dog beat me to it!)

If that were true, I would jump in and wish for all my friends here happy, healed feet!

Have a nice weekend!
Suzanne

Re: something odd in our backyard...

Carole C in NOLA on 10/05/02 at 09:39 (096916)

What fun! Maybe you can make a wish anyway. I don't think dogs count. :)

It's still hot and humid here, but we're looking forward to the cold front on Monday or Tuesday. I just made a 'tour' of the front yard, to assess what needs to be done to clean up after the hurricane. I have a few mushrooms/toadstools too, but mine aren't as large as yours and they aren't in a circle. They will fall prey to my lawnmower later today or tomorrow morning.

I am really looking forward to getting the yard mowed and all the debris and dead vegetation disposed of. If this cold front arrives as predicted, maybe hurricane season will be effectively over for us even though it's not officially over until December 1st.

Carole C

wendyn on 10/05/02 at 11:02 (096921)

Suzanne - I've seen those 'fairy rings' you refer to, but with much smaller mushrooms. I can't even imagine a 6 to 10 inch mushroom!!!

Andrue on 10/05/02 at 11:20 (096924)

Only 15'C? That's colder than the UK during the day! Mind you we're currently enjoying the cloudless wall-to-wall sunshine that obviously got delayed from summer. Seems to me we're being short changed. Wall-to-wall sunshine at a time of the year when the sun only hangs around for eleven hours. Bah! I tried to sit out in the garden with a drink after work and gave up after five minutes - too chilly.

Andrue on 10/05/02 at 11:24 (096925)

We don't get much in the way of violent weather in the UK (thankfully) and I'm not sure how I'd cope with that kind of onslaught. We are heading into flood season though. Thankfully Brackley doesn't suffer flooding but due to land shortages a lot of UK houses are built on floodplains these days. That means they either get flooded or the flood moves downstream to the town centre.

Suzanne D on 10/05/02 at 15:54 (096936)

Well, I DID see 'Peter Pan' 6 times this summer (daughter was in youth theater production, and I went to all but one of their shows), and there WAS that one part where Tinker Bell is languishing, only brought to life by the audience's clapping when asked if we believed in fairies. Perhaps my exhuberance during that scene was noticed by some of the wee creatures?! :-)

I hope for you that the hurricanes are over! We have had a sunny but cooler day today which has been nice. My family is invited to a weiner roast/hayride tonight at a neighbor's, and it should be perfect weather for that.

Take care!
Suzanne :-)

Suzanne D on 10/05/02 at 15:56 (096938)

I don't recall seeing such large mushrooms, either, Wendy. My husband took a picture as it seemed such a rare occurence.

How is the weather in your part of Canada now?

Suzanne D on 10/05/02 at 15:59 (096939)

It did get up to the 70's by mid-afternoon, but the temperatures have fallen now as we head toward evening. I love the fall season; it's my favorite. I read somewhere that autumn is a gift to us after the hot days of summer and before winter hardships come. I think that's a nice way to look at it!

Re: The weather

wendyn on 10/05/02 at 16:51 (096941)

It's pretty cool today 0C or 32F with a chance of light snow. Tomorrow is supposed to be better though - about 16C or 61F. Not looking forward to winter, I hate snow in my Birks!!!

Re: something odd in our brains....

BrianG on 10/05/02 at 19:12 (096945)

They say you can eat the mushrooms growing out of the cow dung, but I wouldn't know anything about that :*)

BrianG

Suzanne D on 10/05/02 at 20:09 (096950)

Well, there are cows across the road from me and horses on either side, but nothing in my yard but a dalmation...

Carole C in NOLA on 10/05/02 at 21:51 (096955)

Maybe it's from seeing the Peter Pan production a lot, combined with the heavy rains last week. I'm glad your husband took photos!

Carole C

john h on 10/07/02 at 08:12 (097001)

Carole: I would call Dr. Spock and have him beam me up girl. Sounds like the mushrooms are taking over.

john h on 10/07/02 at 08:27 (097004)

Carole: Actually mushrooms are very common this time of year especially with a lot of moisture. I have had some that are probably 4-6' but none as large as 10'. If you mow your yard more often they will not get that large.

Suzanne D on 10/07/02 at 11:18 (097014)

Actually, John, they were in MY backyard, not Carole's. But, who knows, perhaps the mushrooms ARE taking over here in Kentucky! After all, strange things have been happening around here in our politics and sports teams, etc... (smile)

Perhaps I need to get back to school; this is the second week of our fall break. Next week I'll be too busy to notice the pattern of mushrooms or other such things.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/07/02 at 18:00 (097040)

Well gee, John, how often do you have to mow to not have mushrooms? I mow once a week and my mushrooms are in the 4-6' range like yours.

Carole

Carole C in NOLA on 10/07/02 at 18:02 (097042)

I've just got little mushrooms, 4-6', and they aren't in a circle at all. :)

Carole

Re: mushrooms

Necee on 10/07/02 at 22:08 (097052)

My uncle use to pick wild mushrooms, and he always said they put a silver coin in the boiling water when cooking them, if the coin turned black, it meant they were poisoned mushrooms and knew not to eat them.
I don't like mushrooms!

Happy trails....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 10/07/02 at 22:30 (097053)

I'm too chicken to do that! I only eat mushrooms that are sold in grocery stores. That way, I figure that someone who does this for a living selected and grew a variety that isn't poisonous. When I lived in northern California, people in the area often were poisoned because they thought a variety wasn't poisonous but it was.

Magical, but dangerous, those wild mushrooms! I love 'tame' mushrooms, though. Portobellos can really enhance a steak, a salad, or almost anything.

Carole C

john h on 10/08/02 at 10:56 (097075)

I like my mushrooms with escargot in very garlic butter sauce. Actually I like escargot better cooked in the shell with the butter garlic sauce but it seems that is mostly done in France. Of course a glass of fine red wine adds to the experience.

Re: Suzanne

Carmen H on 10/08/02 at 11:39 (097078)

They are everywhere here!!!!
kinda neat.

Suzanne D on 10/08/02 at 17:40 (097101)

Yes, they are neat, Carmen - sort of a fairy tale quality about them! (Of course I look at everything through first graders' eyes, I know.) Mine are gone now; the yard has been mowed.

Is it getting cooler in Tennessee? This week it is beginning to feel like fall, may favorite season.

Carmen H on 10/09/02 at 17:49 (097158)

My fave too /s\ (cat on the keyboard there)
My fave too! yes it's cooler which brings about a nice feeling but also a sad one..for the animals that are left outside in the cold this winter....

Carole C in NOLA on 10/09/02 at 18:19 (097161)

The same animals are probably left outside in the heat of summer without sufficient shade or water. They need you all year round!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 10/05/02 at 09:39 (096916)

What fun! Maybe you can make a wish anyway. I don't think dogs count. :)

It's still hot and humid here, but we're looking forward to the cold front on Monday or Tuesday. I just made a 'tour' of the front yard, to assess what needs to be done to clean up after the hurricane. I have a few mushrooms/toadstools too, but mine aren't as large as yours and they aren't in a circle. They will fall prey to my lawnmower later today or tomorrow morning.

I am really looking forward to getting the yard mowed and all the debris and dead vegetation disposed of. If this cold front arrives as predicted, maybe hurricane season will be effectively over for us even though it's not officially over until December 1st.

Carole C

wendyn on 10/05/02 at 11:02 (096921)

Suzanne - I've seen those 'fairy rings' you refer to, but with much smaller mushrooms. I can't even imagine a 6 to 10 inch mushroom!!!

Andrue on 10/05/02 at 11:20 (096924)

Only 15'C? That's colder than the UK during the day! Mind you we're currently enjoying the cloudless wall-to-wall sunshine that obviously got delayed from summer. Seems to me we're being short changed. Wall-to-wall sunshine at a time of the year when the sun only hangs around for eleven hours. Bah! I tried to sit out in the garden with a drink after work and gave up after five minutes - too chilly.

Andrue on 10/05/02 at 11:24 (096925)

We don't get much in the way of violent weather in the UK (thankfully) and I'm not sure how I'd cope with that kind of onslaught. We are heading into flood season though. Thankfully Brackley doesn't suffer flooding but due to land shortages a lot of UK houses are built on floodplains these days. That means they either get flooded or the flood moves downstream to the town centre.

Suzanne D on 10/05/02 at 15:54 (096936)

Well, I DID see 'Peter Pan' 6 times this summer (daughter was in youth theater production, and I went to all but one of their shows), and there WAS that one part where Tinker Bell is languishing, only brought to life by the audience's clapping when asked if we believed in fairies. Perhaps my exhuberance during that scene was noticed by some of the wee creatures?! :-)

I hope for you that the hurricanes are over! We have had a sunny but cooler day today which has been nice. My family is invited to a weiner roast/hayride tonight at a neighbor's, and it should be perfect weather for that.

Take care!

Suzanne D on 10/05/02 at 15:56 (096938)

I don't recall seeing such large mushrooms, either, Wendy. My husband took a picture as it seemed such a rare occurence.

How is the weather in your part of Canada now?

Suzanne D on 10/05/02 at 15:59 (096939)

It did get up to the 70's by mid-afternoon, but the temperatures have fallen now as we head toward evening. I love the fall season; it's my favorite. I read somewhere that autumn is a gift to us after the hot days of summer and before winter hardships come. I think that's a nice way to look at it!

Re: The weather

wendyn on 10/05/02 at 16:51 (096941)

It's pretty cool today 0C or 32F with a chance of light snow. Tomorrow is supposed to be better though - about 16C or 61F. Not looking forward to winter, I hate snow in my Birks!!!

BrianG on 10/05/02 at 19:12 (096945)

They say you can eat the mushrooms growing out of the cow dung, but I wouldn't know anything about that :*)

BrianG

Suzanne D on 10/05/02 at 20:09 (096950)

Well, there are cows across the road from me and horses on either side, but nothing in my yard but a dalmation...

Carole C in NOLA on 10/05/02 at 21:51 (096955)

Maybe it's from seeing the Peter Pan production a lot, combined with the heavy rains last week. I'm glad your husband took photos!

Carole C

john h on 10/07/02 at 08:12 (097001)

Carole: I would call Dr. Spock and have him beam me up girl. Sounds like the mushrooms are taking over.

john h on 10/07/02 at 08:27 (097004)

Carole: Actually mushrooms are very common this time of year especially with a lot of moisture. I have had some that are probably 4-6' but none as large as 10'. If you mow your yard more often they will not get that large.

Suzanne D on 10/07/02 at 11:18 (097014)

Actually, John, they were in MY backyard, not Carole's. But, who knows, perhaps the mushrooms ARE taking over here in Kentucky! After all, strange things have been happening around here in our politics and sports teams, etc... (smile)

Perhaps I need to get back to school; this is the second week of our fall break. Next week I'll be too busy to notice the pattern of mushrooms or other such things.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/07/02 at 18:00 (097040)

Well gee, John, how often do you have to mow to not have mushrooms? I mow once a week and my mushrooms are in the 4-6' range like yours.

Carole

Carole C in NOLA on 10/07/02 at 18:02 (097042)

I've just got little mushrooms, 4-6', and they aren't in a circle at all. :)

Carole

Necee on 10/07/02 at 22:08 (097052)

My uncle use to pick wild mushrooms, and he always said they put a silver coin in the boiling water when cooking them, if the coin turned black, it meant they were poisoned mushrooms and knew not to eat them.
I don't like mushrooms!

Happy trails....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 10/07/02 at 22:30 (097053)

I'm too chicken to do that! I only eat mushrooms that are sold in grocery stores. That way, I figure that someone who does this for a living selected and grew a variety that isn't poisonous. When I lived in northern California, people in the area often were poisoned because they thought a variety wasn't poisonous but it was.

Magical, but dangerous, those wild mushrooms! I love 'tame' mushrooms, though. Portobellos can really enhance a steak, a salad, or almost anything.

Carole C

john h on 10/08/02 at 10:56 (097075)

I like my mushrooms with escargot in very garlic butter sauce. Actually I like escargot better cooked in the shell with the butter garlic sauce but it seems that is mostly done in France. Of course a glass of fine red wine adds to the experience.

Carmen H on 10/08/02 at 11:39 (097078)

They are everywhere here!!!!
kinda neat.

Suzanne D on 10/08/02 at 17:40 (097101)

Yes, they are neat, Carmen - sort of a fairy tale quality about them! (Of course I look at everything through first graders' eyes, I know.) Mine are gone now; the yard has been mowed.

Is it getting cooler in Tennessee? This week it is beginning to feel like fall, may favorite season.

Carmen H on 10/09/02 at 17:49 (097158)

My fave too /s\ (cat on the keyboard there)
My fave too! yes it's cooler which brings about a nice feeling but also a sad one..for the animals that are left outside in the cold this winter....

Carole C in NOLA on 10/09/02 at 18:19 (097161)

The same animals are probably left outside in the heat of summer without sufficient shade or water. They need you all year round!

Carole C