Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Josepf Seibel or Birkenstock shoes

Posted by Kathy K on 10/05/02 at 23:12 (096958)

Just newly looking for some comfortable shoes to help my feet. Has anyone tried both of these brands and which is recommended?

Re: Josepf Seibel or Birkenstock shoes

Suzanne D on 10/06/02 at 06:40 (096967)

Hi, Kathy. I've been reading and posting here for a little over a year, finding this site about 2 months after I was diagnosed with PF. It's been a lifesaver!

After reading for hours that first weekend I found the site, I bought some Arizona (sandal with no back) Birkenstocks, and they were the first real help to me on my journey to healing. I am very much improved, thanks to anti-inflammatory medicine, taping, stretching, icing, resting whenever possible, and wearing the Birks and later orthotics as well.

I don't have any experience with the Josef Seibel shoes but recently have been reading about them from several posters. They must be good shoes from what I read! I have never seen them.

Probably Birkenstock shoes are mentioned the most on this site, with the Arizona sandals being most widely recommended. Birkenstocks have a built-in orthotic in the shoe bed which supports the arch and can enable you to walk while not straining and re-injuring your feet. However, every individual's needs are unique, so for you they might not help. It would be good if you could find a store near you to try them (and others). If not, there are many internet sites which take returns, and you can utilize these.

Good luck to you!
Suzanne :-)

Kathy K on 10/06/02 at 08:04 (096972)

Thanks for your reply. I just happened across this site...I think it is so great you can find support roups for about anything and learn so much. I was searching to see retailers for Birk shoes....and will check them out...my friend does have several pairs which I didn't realize until last night - she swears by them. Very costly...but if they work...its worth the $ to walk. I wanted to check out the Seibel ones..for cost...and I did see that name so much last night on messages...but haven't found a site yet.
Will let you know...if and when I try any out...
Kathy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/06/02 at 08:23 (096974)

Birkenstocks are definitely worth the money! Until the past month or two, I never heard Seibel shoes even mentioned on this board, but just about all of us here have at least tried Birkenstocks and find them to be helpful. People were so enthusiastic about them when I first arrived at this site, that I wondered if they were getting a kickback! They weren't. It's just that Birkenstocks have a cork orthotic built into the footbed, that seems to work very well for most of us.

Unfortunately PF seems to be an expensive condition to have.

Suzanne is right, that the Arizona is the model most people prefer and so it's the one I recommend also. I started out with the Florida, which is also good. Both have the 'classic footbed' (Birkenstock also makes some other footbeds, but it's best to start with the classic footbed). People who get the cheaper plastic uppers and/or plastic footbeds don't seem to get as much benefit from them as those who get the genuine cork classic footbed and some sort of leather or suede or nubuck upper.

I got some of my Birkenstocks online, at http://www.birkenstockexpress.com . They are not the cheapest, but they provided very good service if you can't get to a Birkenstock store in person. I would recommend going to a Birkenstock store, if there is one in your area, to be expertly fitted by their staff. It is great to have the bumps in the orthotic footbed hit precisely the right spots on your feet.

Carole C

Kathy G on 10/07/02 at 09:11 (097007)

Hi Kathy - what a nice name you have!

I don't know what your foot problems are but I wore Josef Seibels (I really don't know the correct spelling!) for about 2 years before I had to go to the podiatrist with a problem which turned out to be an atypical neuroma. I found them to be extremely comfortable. I wore the sandals but couldn't wear any of their closed toe shoes because they don't come in widths and I have narrow feet.

Most everybody on this site loves their Birks. I personally can't wear mine at all but I have other issues with my feet and back so I'm atypical in that area, too!

Good luck! If you find something comfortable, buy a couple of pairs!

Kathy K on 10/07/02 at 17:55 (097039)

Well,,I've had trouble with me knees for a long time...just feeling...tired & worn out!~! Then, the bottom of my heel started hurting...so I decided I had heel spurs. I finally went to an orthopedic doc....(after my family doc...just said ...loose weight..and do stretches)...and I was too tired, sore to go shopping!!! and small errands. He did xrays and I do have arthritis in my knees...and said I have heel spurs.. Just encouraged me to do stretches...and get better shoes...thats it!! So, trying some supports in my shoes...and may purchase a pair of Birks...some i can work to work.
Would like to start walking....exercising...but need to get ahandle on this first.
Everyone seems so nice....well you that have answered...where are you all from? I'm from Indiana.

Kathy G on 10/08/02 at 08:23 (097061)

Hi Kathy,

I live in a small town in southern New Hampshire. We have people from Arkansas, Canada, England, Kentucky, Louisiana - all over the place!

I suggest you go to a Podiatrist if at all possible. If you have to get a referral from your primary care physician, just tell him you'd like a second opinion. I believe a Podiatrist is the best person for treating foot problems since feet are all he sees. He may have some suggestions for specific types of shoes or inserts after he sees your feet and diagnoses your problem. Many of the posters spent a fortune on inner soles and shoes without getting any relief. If you start with a Podiatrist, or as we all say, a POD, he can give you more of an idea of what might be right for you.

In the meantime, if you do a search on these boards under 'Julie's Stretches', you should find a list of the stretches that Julie, a longtime poster, recommends. She has been a Yoga instructor for many years and has conquered PF. She really understands anatomy and physiology and has been a great deal of help to all of us. Her stretches are easy and very effective. Also, even though it might not feel like it's helping, use ice on your feet. Everyone does their own thing, but I find a bag of frozen peas in a pillow case works best for me.

I hope you've read the Heel Pain Book because it's loaded with suggestions. You'll get better, it just takes time and patience. Check out all the other boards, too. Social and Support can be great fun!

Take care!

Suzanne D on 10/08/02 at 08:50 (097065)

Hi, Kathy! I'm from a rural area in central Kentucky, so we're 'neighbors'!

Kathy G. gave you some good advice: do read the Heel Pain Book (just click on the words) and try to see a podiatrist. Having read the book before you go will help you in asking good questions when you see the doctor.

Yes, shoes that are helpful to us are quite expensive, I have found. But, as you know, it's worth every penny to find something that works for you. Good luck in that quest! It's really hard to describe what a Birkenstock feels like; I hope you can find a store where you can try some on. But if not, find a place to order that will take returns. I don't know where in Indiana you're from, but Louisville, Kentucky is the nearest place in which I can find them. I know there is a Birkenstock store in Nashville, Indiana (Brown County) if that is anywhere near you. I don't say this to be critical of anyone, but I think you'll find that just as not all doctors are the most knowledgeable and helpful, not all shoe salespeople have the same understanding and care. So, with that in mind, I'd advise you that the more you can read about them online (different styles, sizes, footbeds), the better it will be for you when you go to a store to try shoes.

Good luck to you, and keep posting!

Lynda S. on 10/08/02 at 18:30 (097106)

Kathy,

Hi. I'm a longtime PF sufferer and wear Birkenstocks exclusively. I also live in a small town in Southern New Hampshire, Merrimack to be exact. Where do you live?

Kathy K on 10/08/02 at 22:13 (097111)

I'm also from a very small town....close to Huntington IN which is close to Ft Wayne
I hear of 2 stores in my area--one I visited but, very small selection. I would love to go to Nashville IN...my friends were just talking about it...its about a 3 hours drive from here....but we like to go there. Another reason to go!!!
Thanks for the info will have to look up on the suggestion of the book....
Kathy

Suzanne D on 10/08/02 at 22:29 (097112)

Hi, Kathy! I, too, love to visit Nashville, Indiana! I enjoy all the craft stores, and this time of the year is a beautiful time to go. The state park is pretty to walk (or drive) through. They have a Birkenstock store with many styles. My experience (which might be rare) was that the salesperson was young and rather uninformed, but if you have a good knowledge of what you would like to try based on reading from the internet sites, it will help you.

Yes, just click on the words Heel Pain Book, and you can read it! It's not a book to buy, but one put together on this site by the man who started Heelspurs.com. It's very thorough and full of helpful suggestions.

Best wishes!

Suzanne D on 10/06/02 at 06:40 (096967)

Hi, Kathy. I've been reading and posting here for a little over a year, finding this site about 2 months after I was diagnosed with PF. It's been a lifesaver!

After reading for hours that first weekend I found the site, I bought some Arizona (sandal with no back) Birkenstocks, and they were the first real help to me on my journey to healing. I am very much improved, thanks to anti-inflammatory medicine, taping, stretching, icing, resting whenever possible, and wearing the Birks and later orthotics as well.

I don't have any experience with the Josef Seibel shoes but recently have been reading about them from several posters. They must be good shoes from what I read! I have never seen them.

Probably Birkenstock shoes are mentioned the most on this site, with the Arizona sandals being most widely recommended. Birkenstocks have a built-in orthotic in the shoe bed which supports the arch and can enable you to walk while not straining and re-injuring your feet. However, every individual's needs are unique, so for you they might not help. It would be good if you could find a store near you to try them (and others). If not, there are many internet sites which take returns, and you can utilize these.

Good luck to you!

Kathy K on 10/06/02 at 08:04 (096972)

Thanks for your reply. I just happened across this site...I think it is so great you can find support roups for about anything and learn so much. I was searching to see retailers for Birk shoes....and will check them out...my friend does have several pairs which I didn't realize until last night - she swears by them. Very costly...but if they work...its worth the $ to walk. I wanted to check out the Seibel ones..for cost...and I did see that name so much last night on messages...but haven't found a site yet.
Will let you know...if and when I try any out...
Kathy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/06/02 at 08:23 (096974)

Birkenstocks are definitely worth the money! Until the past month or two, I never heard Seibel shoes even mentioned on this board, but just about all of us here have at least tried Birkenstocks and find them to be helpful. People were so enthusiastic about them when I first arrived at this site, that I wondered if they were getting a kickback! They weren't. It's just that Birkenstocks have a cork orthotic built into the footbed, that seems to work very well for most of us.

Unfortunately PF seems to be an expensive condition to have.

Suzanne is right, that the Arizona is the model most people prefer and so it's the one I recommend also. I started out with the Florida, which is also good. Both have the 'classic footbed' (Birkenstock also makes some other footbeds, but it's best to start with the classic footbed). People who get the cheaper plastic uppers and/or plastic footbeds don't seem to get as much benefit from them as those who get the genuine cork classic footbed and some sort of leather or suede or nubuck upper.

I got some of my Birkenstocks online, at http://www.birkenstockexpress.com . They are not the cheapest, but they provided very good service if you can't get to a Birkenstock store in person. I would recommend going to a Birkenstock store, if there is one in your area, to be expertly fitted by their staff. It is great to have the bumps in the orthotic footbed hit precisely the right spots on your feet.

Carole C

Kathy G on 10/07/02 at 09:11 (097007)

Hi Kathy - what a nice name you have!

I don't know what your foot problems are but I wore Josef Seibels (I really don't know the correct spelling!) for about 2 years before I had to go to the podiatrist with a problem which turned out to be an atypical neuroma. I found them to be extremely comfortable. I wore the sandals but couldn't wear any of their closed toe shoes because they don't come in widths and I have narrow feet.

Most everybody on this site loves their Birks. I personally can't wear mine at all but I have other issues with my feet and back so I'm atypical in that area, too!

Good luck! If you find something comfortable, buy a couple of pairs!

Kathy K on 10/07/02 at 17:55 (097039)

Well,,I've had trouble with me knees for a long time...just feeling...tired & worn out!~! Then, the bottom of my heel started hurting...so I decided I had heel spurs. I finally went to an orthopedic doc....(after my family doc...just said ...loose weight..and do stretches)...and I was too tired, sore to go shopping!!! and small errands. He did xrays and I do have arthritis in my knees...and said I have heel spurs.. Just encouraged me to do stretches...and get better shoes...thats it!! So, trying some supports in my shoes...and may purchase a pair of Birks...some i can work to work.
Would like to start walking....exercising...but need to get ahandle on this first.
Everyone seems so nice....well you that have answered...where are you all from? I'm from Indiana.

Kathy G on 10/08/02 at 08:23 (097061)

Hi Kathy,

I live in a small town in southern New Hampshire. We have people from Arkansas, Canada, England, Kentucky, Louisiana - all over the place!

I suggest you go to a Podiatrist if at all possible. If you have to get a referral from your primary care physician, just tell him you'd like a second opinion. I believe a Podiatrist is the best person for treating foot problems since feet are all he sees. He may have some suggestions for specific types of shoes or inserts after he sees your feet and diagnoses your problem. Many of the posters spent a fortune on inner soles and shoes without getting any relief. If you start with a Podiatrist, or as we all say, a POD, he can give you more of an idea of what might be right for you.

In the meantime, if you do a search on these boards under 'Julie's Stretches', you should find a list of the stretches that Julie, a longtime poster, recommends. She has been a Yoga instructor for many years and has conquered PF. She really understands anatomy and physiology and has been a great deal of help to all of us. Her stretches are easy and very effective. Also, even though it might not feel like it's helping, use ice on your feet. Everyone does their own thing, but I find a bag of frozen peas in a pillow case works best for me.

I hope you've read the Heel Pain Book because it's loaded with suggestions. You'll get better, it just takes time and patience. Check out all the other boards, too. Social and Support can be great fun!

Take care!

Suzanne D on 10/08/02 at 08:50 (097065)

Hi, Kathy! I'm from a rural area in central Kentucky, so we're 'neighbors'!

Kathy G. gave you some good advice: do read the Heel Pain Book (just click on the words) and try to see a podiatrist. Having read the book before you go will help you in asking good questions when you see the doctor.

Yes, shoes that are helpful to us are quite expensive, I have found. But, as you know, it's worth every penny to find something that works for you. Good luck in that quest! It's really hard to describe what a Birkenstock feels like; I hope you can find a store where you can try some on. But if not, find a place to order that will take returns. I don't know where in Indiana you're from, but Louisville, Kentucky is the nearest place in which I can find them. I know there is a Birkenstock store in Nashville, Indiana (Brown County) if that is anywhere near you. I don't say this to be critical of anyone, but I think you'll find that just as not all doctors are the most knowledgeable and helpful, not all shoe salespeople have the same understanding and care. So, with that in mind, I'd advise you that the more you can read about them online (different styles, sizes, footbeds), the better it will be for you when you go to a store to try shoes.

Good luck to you, and keep posting!

Lynda S. on 10/08/02 at 18:30 (097106)

Kathy,

Hi. I'm a longtime PF sufferer and wear Birkenstocks exclusively. I also live in a small town in Southern New Hampshire, Merrimack to be exact. Where do you live?

Kathy K on 10/08/02 at 22:13 (097111)

I'm also from a very small town....close to Huntington IN which is close to Ft Wayne
I hear of 2 stores in my area--one I visited but, very small selection. I would love to go to Nashville IN...my friends were just talking about it...its about a 3 hours drive from here....but we like to go there. Another reason to go!!!
Thanks for the info will have to look up on the suggestion of the book....
Kathy

Suzanne D on 10/08/02 at 22:29 (097112)

Hi, Kathy! I, too, love to visit Nashville, Indiana! I enjoy all the craft stores, and this time of the year is a beautiful time to go. The state park is pretty to walk (or drive) through. They have a Birkenstock store with many styles. My experience (which might be rare) was that the salesperson was young and rather uninformed, but if you have a good knowledge of what you would like to try based on reading from the internet sites, it will help you.

Yes, just click on the words Heel Pain Book, and you can read it! It's not a book to buy, but one put together on this site by the man who started Heelspurs.com. It's very thorough and full of helpful suggestions.

Best wishes!