Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

After 28 years of Jogging...some pain...Help Please!

Posted by Charles Z on 10/06/02 at 13:55 (096978)

I've been jogging for at least 28 years. Recently, about 3 or 4 months ago I started developing pain in my right foot...heel. Like a nut, I ignored it and continued to jog hoping it would eventually go away....it got worse. Now it is very hard to put pressure on the heel without pain. I tried taking a few days to a few weeks off from jogging..every time I think it's getting better I jog and reinjure the foot. Sometimes the pain is down the right side of the foot (outside) as well as heel.
Upon getting out of bed in the AM, foot is stiff but gradually gets better. Please help...at this point I can't stop jogging...I will go nuts!
Any cures or remedies??...how about a shoe insert??...what kind??

Thanks....CZ

Re: After 28 years of Jogging...some pain...Help Please!

Carmen H on 10/07/02 at 07:57 (096998)

Read the PF book on this site & most of the questions you have will be answered. Do some more research on the web as well.
most importantly...STOP jogging until this gets resolved.

Jim C on 10/07/02 at 21:33 (097049)

Hi
Stop running immediatly, take this from someone who knows. I got my PF from running and tried to run through it and it became chronic. For a time I couldn't stand or walk without severe pain, but I'm much improved in the past month but it will be a long time before I think about running again. After you go through the pain that I have you became greatful just to be able to walk with out discomfort. I'm not saying you won't be able to run again but if you keep it up you will only prolong and worsen your condition. From your discription you have cought yours early and it shouldn't be a chronic case. First figure out what's the cause, for me it was a increase in milage coupled with wore out shoes and a twenty pound weight gain. Then ice, rest and stretch until your pain free then ice, rest and stretch for another 4 weeks on top of that. Then start out very slow, at the first sign of pain 'Stop' That will be your indicater that you need even more time off. Read the heel pain book on this site, full of great info.

Good luck,

Jim

Carmen H on 10/07/02 at 07:57 (096998)

Read the PF book on this site & most of the questions you have will be answered. Do some more research on the web as well.
most importantly...STOP jogging until this gets resolved.

Jim C on 10/07/02 at 21:33 (097049)

Hi
Stop running immediatly, take this from someone who knows. I got my PF from running and tried to run through it and it became chronic. For a time I couldn't stand or walk without severe pain, but I'm much improved in the past month but it will be a long time before I think about running again. After you go through the pain that I have you became greatful just to be able to walk with out discomfort. I'm not saying you won't be able to run again but if you keep it up you will only prolong and worsen your condition. From your discription you have cought yours early and it shouldn't be a chronic case. First figure out what's the cause, for me it was a increase in milage coupled with wore out shoes and a twenty pound weight gain. Then ice, rest and stretch until your pain free then ice, rest and stretch for another 4 weeks on top of that. Then start out very slow, at the first sign of pain 'Stop' That will be your indicater that you need even more time off. Read the heel pain book on this site, full of great info.

Good luck,

Jim