Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I am finally starting to feel better!!!!!!

Posted by Linda M. Cass on 10/07/02 at 08:39 (097005)

I had plantar fascia release,tarsal tunnel release,and heel spur removal on Dec. 14,2001 on my right foot. I had the same surgery on march 29, 2002 on my left foot. Last thursday was my last appointment at physical therapy, and for the past week, i have been almost pain free. (about 99%) I even started walking on the treadmill,and using the elliptical trainer,and i have no pain. This is the first time since 1985 that my feet have been pain free. I am just afraid a few months down the road that the pain will come back. I have flat feet,and just got brand new orthotics a month ago. I can only wear them for about 1/2 hour at a time,or they cause pain. I had them checked,and my doc says they fit fine. They feel fine without them, but after a couple of hours on my feet, the get sore on my arches. Is this normal, and how long do you think it will take to feel good? I had my other orthotics for 16yrs.

Re: I am finally starting to feel better!!!!!!

kay on 10/08/02 at 09:37 (097067)

linda that is great news. post like this give me hope.
as for the orthotics, when i had them it seemed like they made them too big even though they used a cast of my feet. i was never able to wear them so my pod told me to take them back for adjustment. after that they hurt worse! i finally through them away. i know i am going to need something but now sure what.
i hope someone here can give you the advice you need.
good luck
kay

Linda M. Cass on 10/08/02 at 11:07 (097076)

Kay,
Did you have,or are you going to have surgery? I exhausted every option before i did. thanks for responding,and good luck.

Steve on 10/08/02 at 14:10 (097084)

Hi Linda,
I too exhausted all options and finally decided to have TTS surgery on Aug 12 (8 weeks ago). My surgeon told me that my nerve was trapped by a thickened fascia and he released it. My nerve looked healthy. I had pain for 7 years as a result of a sports injury.

My question to you is: How long after your surgery did you start to feel some pain relief? I am still in alot of pain, very similar to what it felt like before the surgery. Should I not be discouraged? My surgeon tells me it could take up to a year to be pain free.
Thanks.

BrianG on 10/08/02 at 16:12 (097094)

Hi Linda,

From what my doctor told me, and what I have read here, it is important to wear the orthotics after haveing PF release surgery. The fascia has been cut, it can no longer help to hold up that part of your foot. You've come this far, I'd go the extra mile to make sure that you have the right orthotics, and they are adjusted for your feet. This may mean additional trips to the professionals, but I really think it's necessary. Can you wear then for 15 extra minutes every day. Good luck, you're very close now, time to complete the process!!

Regards
BrianG

PS: Be careful on that treadmill, it has caused PF in the past.

Linda M. Cass on 10/09/02 at 17:20 (097156)

Steve,
I started to feel pain relief about a month after starting physical therapy. I had shooting pains for almost 10 months,though. The doc told me that it would take a year to heal also. I had mine as a sports injury also.
Don't be discouraged. I know it stinks. I could only stand,or be on my feet for 15 minutes at a time,then i would get pain so bad,it almost was crippling. I just hope it is all behind me now.
Good luck,and keep me posted how you do.

Linda M. Cass on 10/09/02 at 17:26 (097157)

I am going this friday for my recheck on my feet. I did my last therapy Last thursday. i am goingto have him adjust my orthotics.
I know the tread mill isn't the greatest . (i'm a personal trainer), but i also have a shoulder injury, so i am a little limited as far as exercise right now. If it started to hurt,believe me, i would stop altogether. I just hate to think of all the cortizone injections i had, and i have had my fascia released twice.
I have been wearing my orthotics for 15 minutes. I know they are important,especially where i am also flat footed.
thank you for responding.

BrianG on 10/09/02 at 22:05 (097173)

Sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. I believe it's the 'incline' feature on the the treadmill that causes problems. Good luck on that last little bit of healing!!!

Regards
BrianG

Linda M. Cass on 10/10/02 at 06:39 (097201)

Thank you, and you are right about the incline causing problems

LaDonna S. on 10/10/02 at 17:07 (097262)

Did you have surgery??? What was your exact diagnosis?

Re: I am not feeling better! Help!!!!

LaDonna S. on 10/10/02 at 17:18 (097265)

Hi,

I am new at this site. I have had plantar faciitis and heel spurs for about two years. I am sondering how your doctor determined that you had nerve entrapment. I think I may have nerve entrapment as well. I am afraid to do surgery without a positive diagnosis. I cannot be on my feet over 30 minutes and my feet are on fire. What tests can be done to find out if you have nerve entrapment or tunnel syndrome? Any advice would be appreciated.

Linda on 10/11/02 at 05:35 (097299)

Yes, I did have surgery,twice. I had Plantar Fascia release,Tarsal Tunnel Release,and heel spur excision in both feet.
My diagnosis was Plantar Fasciitis,and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

kay on 10/11/02 at 12:29 (097325)

i had the epf surgery 6years ago and it didn't help one bit so this last june i had open partial release and tarsal tunnel surgery.
its will be 4 months on the 18th. i still have plenty of pain. i'd say 15 minutes are my limitations.

kay

Linda on 10/11/02 at 18:17 (097346)

If i don't wear my orthotics, i have stood for 2 hours with no pain, but with my orthotics,it was about 15minutes. Today i went,and had my orthotics lowered, and now they feel fine.

kay on 10/08/02 at 09:37 (097067)

linda that is great news. post like this give me hope.
as for the orthotics, when i had them it seemed like they made them too big even though they used a cast of my feet. i was never able to wear them so my pod told me to take them back for adjustment. after that they hurt worse! i finally through them away. i know i am going to need something but now sure what.
i hope someone here can give you the advice you need.
good luck
kay

Linda M. Cass on 10/08/02 at 11:07 (097076)

Kay,
Did you have,or are you going to have surgery? I exhausted every option before i did. thanks for responding,and good luck.

Steve on 10/08/02 at 14:10 (097084)

Hi Linda,
I too exhausted all options and finally decided to have TTS surgery on Aug 12 (8 weeks ago). My surgeon told me that my nerve was trapped by a thickened fascia and he released it. My nerve looked healthy. I had pain for 7 years as a result of a sports injury.

My question to you is: How long after your surgery did you start to feel some pain relief? I am still in alot of pain, very similar to what it felt like before the surgery. Should I not be discouraged? My surgeon tells me it could take up to a year to be pain free.
Thanks.

BrianG on 10/08/02 at 16:12 (097094)

Hi Linda,

From what my doctor told me, and what I have read here, it is important to wear the orthotics after haveing PF release surgery. The fascia has been cut, it can no longer help to hold up that part of your foot. You've come this far, I'd go the extra mile to make sure that you have the right orthotics, and they are adjusted for your feet. This may mean additional trips to the professionals, but I really think it's necessary. Can you wear then for 15 extra minutes every day. Good luck, you're very close now, time to complete the process!!

Regards
BrianG

PS: Be careful on that treadmill, it has caused PF in the past.

Linda M. Cass on 10/09/02 at 17:20 (097156)

Steve,
I started to feel pain relief about a month after starting physical therapy. I had shooting pains for almost 10 months,though. The doc told me that it would take a year to heal also. I had mine as a sports injury also.
Don't be discouraged. I know it stinks. I could only stand,or be on my feet for 15 minutes at a time,then i would get pain so bad,it almost was crippling. I just hope it is all behind me now.
Good luck,and keep me posted how you do.

Linda M. Cass on 10/09/02 at 17:26 (097157)

I am going this friday for my recheck on my feet. I did my last therapy Last thursday. i am goingto have him adjust my orthotics.
I know the tread mill isn't the greatest . (i'm a personal trainer), but i also have a shoulder injury, so i am a little limited as far as exercise right now. If it started to hurt,believe me, i would stop altogether. I just hate to think of all the cortizone injections i had, and i have had my fascia released twice.
I have been wearing my orthotics for 15 minutes. I know they are important,especially where i am also flat footed.
thank you for responding.

BrianG on 10/09/02 at 22:05 (097173)

Sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. I believe it's the 'incline' feature on the the treadmill that causes problems. Good luck on that last little bit of healing!!!

Regards
BrianG

Linda M. Cass on 10/10/02 at 06:39 (097201)

Thank you, and you are right about the incline causing problems

LaDonna S. on 10/10/02 at 17:07 (097262)

Did you have surgery??? What was your exact diagnosis?

Re: I am not feeling better! Help!!!!

LaDonna S. on 10/10/02 at 17:18 (097265)

Hi,

I am new at this site. I have had plantar faciitis and heel spurs for about two years. I am sondering how your doctor determined that you had nerve entrapment. I think I may have nerve entrapment as well. I am afraid to do surgery without a positive diagnosis. I cannot be on my feet over 30 minutes and my feet are on fire. What tests can be done to find out if you have nerve entrapment or tunnel syndrome? Any advice would be appreciated.

Linda on 10/11/02 at 05:35 (097299)

Yes, I did have surgery,twice. I had Plantar Fascia release,Tarsal Tunnel Release,and heel spur excision in both feet.
My diagnosis was Plantar Fasciitis,and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

kay on 10/11/02 at 12:29 (097325)

i had the epf surgery 6years ago and it didn't help one bit so this last june i had open partial release and tarsal tunnel surgery.
its will be 4 months on the 18th. i still have plenty of pain. i'd say 15 minutes are my limitations.

kay

Linda on 10/11/02 at 18:17 (097346)

If i don't wear my orthotics, i have stood for 2 hours with no pain, but with my orthotics,it was about 15minutes. Today i went,and had my orthotics lowered, and now they feel fine.