Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"Ripping" feeling

Posted by Cristi R. on 10/07/02 at 17:10 (097036)

Hello. I was diagnosed with PF at the end of June. I have stayed off of my foot since then, no gym or running, taken Ibuprofen, stretched, rested,iced, etc. An x-ray was taken in July and no bone spur was found. Last Monday, I received a shot from my doctor (who by the way, will not refer me to a podiatrist!). I was told to rest for exactly one week and start to run again this morning. Well, it didn't work. I never received pain relief from the injection at all. I still have the sudden 'ripping', pins and needles pain in my heel about 8 minutes into the run. My question would be this, is this truly PF or is it something else as I do not have the morning pain. Since it feels like I'm ripping something in my foot, have I? My doctor says no and that it takes so much force to do so, etc. Help! I'm in so much pain and I'm an avid athlete!

Thanks,
Cristi

Re: "Ripping" feeling

Ellen J. on 10/07/02 at 17:41 (097038)

I'm not a doctor, but from a patient's point of view I would ditch that doctor right away and go see a good podiatrist. There are great docs out there and I've been to both quacks and good ones. One sports medicine doctor told me to lie on my side and when I did, he jumped on me with such force that I ended up with a sore back. He was not a chiropractor but I guess he decided he would be one that day, much to my chagrin.
Anyway, the fact that he/she told you to go out and run really makes me wonder....I hope you are able to find some good help soon. That ripping feeling must have felt awful.
Ellen J.

Suzanne D on 10/07/02 at 18:02 (097041)

Cristi, I am sorry to hear of your foot problems and your pain. I am not a doctor, either, but like Ellen, I would advise you to seek other medical advise soon! There are varying symptoms of PF, and although most people seem to feel the morning pain and pain after sitting for awhile, I have read of some here who don't have those symptoms and still have PF. Most people heal from PF - and many do so quicker than a lot of us who post here - but I have never heard of anyone being told to rest a week and then run again. My opinion is that is not good advice, and I fear the 'ripping' feeling could be from your reinjuring yourself while you run. That is strictly a layperson's opinion, but I want to help you if I can.

Please read The Heel Pain Book which you can click on here. You will understand a lot more about PF and its treatments after reading that. By the way, I learned by reading here that one can have PF with or without the spurs, and that in themselves, they are not the cause of our pain.

It must be frustrating for your doctor to not be willing to refer you to a podiatrist. Could you try another doctor who might refer you?

I do wish the best for you and hope that you can get the help you need to soon be on your way to healing.

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Jim C on 10/07/02 at 20:58 (097046)

Hi Cristi, I had a simular experience. When I was first diagnosed with PF my pod gave me a shot and like you I was told it would be OK to run. I was completly pain free after a couple of days and went for what I thought would be a short run, I made it about two blocks and had to limp home, it was at that point my PF became chronic. Before that run my PF was more of a minor annoyance, after the run I would have days where I couldn't walk or stand. Believe me and I think you can attest that running and PF do not mix. From your note I would think that your were still experiencing pain when you went to the doctor or you wouldn't have gotten a shot? For me I'll have to be completly pain free for a long time before I'll even attempt a run, and what I mean by pain free is when you can dig into your heel with your finger without pain. Right now I can do my daily routine without any pain but I can still find those spots on my heels with my fingers, obviously I'm not healed yet, but much improved due to the conservative measures I have found on this site.

Jim

Cristi R. on 10/07/02 at 21:14 (097048)

Thanks to you all for your ideas and comments! :) Running will no longer be a part of my vocabulary for a long time to come. I will definitely be finding other ways to burn fat at the gym. I have another appointment with my doctor on Thursday and my husband and I will be insisting this time that we get the referral to the podiatrist! I'll keep you all updated as to how things are going. It's nice to find people who share in my pain and can help me find methods to cure what ails me.

Thanks again,
Cristi

nancy s. on 10/08/02 at 05:47 (097058)

hi cristi, i can't help adding my voice to the others' excellent advice here. in my opinion, it's inexcusable that you've had this since june and in all this time your doc hasn't referred you to a podiatrist. (you're probably in an HMO situation, yes?) a lot of damage can be done in that time if you have no treatment or bad treatment, and it sounds like you've had a bit of both.

when i first got pf in 1999 (i'm much better now, by the way), my primary doc did refer me -- but to an incompetent podiatrist. please get that referral, and judge whether or not you've got a good one by asking a lot of questions: about whether you should have an mri done due to the ripping feeling; the benefits of gentle, non-weight-bearing stretching either now or later; possible physical therapy; what the pod thinks of the shoes you're wearing and what you should be wearing; possible use of a night splint, icing, rest (more than a week!), and other conservative measures; whether or not you'd be a candidate for ESWT if this goes on much longer. also, when you see him/her, does the podiatrist analyze your gait and, based on the findings, refer you to a pedorthist for orthotics if you have a biomechanical problem?

if your symptoms are atypical (mine weren't), i would think more tests might be in order. as i think suzanne noted, 'atypical' symptoms aren't so uncommon, at least here on these boards -- but you want to be sure you get an accurate diagnosis.

it's great that your husband is going with you. prepare your questions in advance -- it's so easy to forget some once you get there -- and have your husband take notes on the answers so you can refer to them later. most of all, please keep coming to this site and keep us up to date. a lot of things helped me through this ordeal, but the bottom line was that heelspurs.com and the advice i got here was the biggest help and support of all.

you sound smart and motivated, so i think you'll get to the bottom of this and find good treatment. best of luck to you!

nancy

Kim R. on 10/08/02 at 09:01 (097066)

Cristi, I am a runner too. I have had an acute pf problem since early May and only yesterday inched myself back to a 3-mile run. When you are acute, the sad thing is that you will have to find alternative exercises to keep up your aerobic conditioning and keep you from going insane. It could potentially take 3 or 4 months of no running, as it did in my case, before you are even ready to attempt it. When you are acute, as you seem to be, the best thing is to bike or swim or jog in a pool. I finally resorted to cotrisone injections which helped. I switched doctors mid-stream and found a good podiatrist who is also a life long runner. After 4.5 months of intense pain, physical therapy, a night-splint, orthotics, flat shoes ( no high heels), ice, DMSO, Vioxx and so on, I went to see this new doctor. Two weeks later I was running first 1.5 miles, then 2 miles and finally yesterday 3 miles. I am not back to my normal pace simply because I don't want to do too much too soon and re-injure myself. Another thing he had me stop doing, and the people on this message board will freak at this advice, he had me stop stretching for about 2 to 3 weeks. He told me that you should not do deep stretching during the acute phase. It worked. I quit stretching for two weeks, during which I also took two cortisone shots and continued icing. He also took me off the Vioxx - his treatment has been quick and effective, unlike the four months I limped around going to physical therapy. I did start stretching after about two weeks and stretch several times a day to keep my achilles from getting tight again. The worst part is the depression and the feeling that you are never going to heal. You will heal, you just have to resolve yourself to it and choose some alternative aerobic exercise. Until the acute phase passed for me, every time I jogged a mile here or there, I literally re-injured myself and had to start over again. Go and find a good podiatrist. Take your running shoes and if you don't have some custom orthotics already, have him make some for you. As for the ripping sensation, I had that also, particularly after my first cortisone shot. I called my podiatrist about that and he said that was a reaction to the cortisone. It went away after several days, but he did not want me to run until after I had taken a second shot. Again, after the second shot, I experienced that tingly, burning sensation. It went away and now that I am running again, I don't have it at all. I suspect you need some more healing time (time heals all wounds as the old saying goes) and possibly another shot, not to mention a better doctor. I reacted quite strongly to my shots during the first two days after I took each one. My podiatrist said this is not uncommon at all. My advice to you is to stop running, as hard as that sounds, find a non-weight-bearing form of exercise that you find tolerable, a good podiatrist and you will begin to heal. Good luck to you.

Re: Actually, Kim, many will agree about the stretching...

Suzanne D on 10/08/02 at 12:20 (097081)

Hi, Kim. You commented that many on the message board might 'freak' about what you said concerning stretching. To the contrary, many of us found that weight-bearing stretching was counter-productive to our healing. I am assuming that this might be what you were referring to as 'deep stretching'. While stretching seems to be necessary and helpful to most people from what I have read, the wall stretching and hanging off the stairs stretching seemed to be more harmful than helpful. A great number of us have found that those stretches referred to now as 'Julie's Stretches' (from Julie, a very wise and frequent poster who is a yoga instructor)have been most helpful.

Good luck to you!

Leon S. on 10/08/02 at 15:45 (097090)

Cristi, I too am a frustrated ex runner and have substituted the running with a recumbant exercise bike. I get a good workout and use hand weights for the last 15 or so minutes of a 45 minute ride to add to it.
I'm also interested in the doctor who jumped on Ellen.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/08/02 at 17:34 (097100)

Here's a link to Julie's description of her excellent stretches:

bbv.cgi?n=91080

These have helped so many visitors to this message board. I totally agree with Suzanne, that gentle non-weightbearing (sitting down) stretches have been very helpful to me, and that stair stretches and wall stretches are just awful for most people with substantial PF symptoms.

I can testify that gentle non-weightbearing stretches were sufficient for me; nothing more was necessary as far as stretching goes, and I am essentially healed by now.

When I felt ripping, tearing feelings in my feet, what it meant was that I was re-injuring my feet and it would take a week or two or three of rest to get back to where I was before that. At first almost anything, even wiggling my toes too hard, could result in that feeling. It was a big turning point for me when I was able to NOT re-injure my feet for a few weeks, so that they could get stronger. Then I could wiggle my toes as wildly as I wanted, and do more and more things without re-injury.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 10/07/02 at 17:41 (097038)

I'm not a doctor, but from a patient's point of view I would ditch that doctor right away and go see a good podiatrist. There are great docs out there and I've been to both quacks and good ones. One sports medicine doctor told me to lie on my side and when I did, he jumped on me with such force that I ended up with a sore back. He was not a chiropractor but I guess he decided he would be one that day, much to my chagrin.
Anyway, the fact that he/she told you to go out and run really makes me wonder....I hope you are able to find some good help soon. That ripping feeling must have felt awful.
Ellen J.

Suzanne D on 10/07/02 at 18:02 (097041)

Cristi, I am sorry to hear of your foot problems and your pain. I am not a doctor, either, but like Ellen, I would advise you to seek other medical advise soon! There are varying symptoms of PF, and although most people seem to feel the morning pain and pain after sitting for awhile, I have read of some here who don't have those symptoms and still have PF. Most people heal from PF - and many do so quicker than a lot of us who post here - but I have never heard of anyone being told to rest a week and then run again. My opinion is that is not good advice, and I fear the 'ripping' feeling could be from your reinjuring yourself while you run. That is strictly a layperson's opinion, but I want to help you if I can.

Please read The Heel Pain Book which you can click on here. You will understand a lot more about PF and its treatments after reading that. By the way, I learned by reading here that one can have PF with or without the spurs, and that in themselves, they are not the cause of our pain.

It must be frustrating for your doctor to not be willing to refer you to a podiatrist. Could you try another doctor who might refer you?

I do wish the best for you and hope that you can get the help you need to soon be on your way to healing.

Take care,

Jim C on 10/07/02 at 20:58 (097046)

Hi Cristi, I had a simular experience. When I was first diagnosed with PF my pod gave me a shot and like you I was told it would be OK to run. I was completly pain free after a couple of days and went for what I thought would be a short run, I made it about two blocks and had to limp home, it was at that point my PF became chronic. Before that run my PF was more of a minor annoyance, after the run I would have days where I couldn't walk or stand. Believe me and I think you can attest that running and PF do not mix. From your note I would think that your were still experiencing pain when you went to the doctor or you wouldn't have gotten a shot? For me I'll have to be completly pain free for a long time before I'll even attempt a run, and what I mean by pain free is when you can dig into your heel with your finger without pain. Right now I can do my daily routine without any pain but I can still find those spots on my heels with my fingers, obviously I'm not healed yet, but much improved due to the conservative measures I have found on this site.

Jim

Cristi R. on 10/07/02 at 21:14 (097048)

Thanks to you all for your ideas and comments! :) Running will no longer be a part of my vocabulary for a long time to come. I will definitely be finding other ways to burn fat at the gym. I have another appointment with my doctor on Thursday and my husband and I will be insisting this time that we get the referral to the podiatrist! I'll keep you all updated as to how things are going. It's nice to find people who share in my pain and can help me find methods to cure what ails me.

Thanks again,
Cristi

nancy s. on 10/08/02 at 05:47 (097058)

hi cristi, i can't help adding my voice to the others' excellent advice here. in my opinion, it's inexcusable that you've had this since june and in all this time your doc hasn't referred you to a podiatrist. (you're probably in an HMO situation, yes?) a lot of damage can be done in that time if you have no treatment or bad treatment, and it sounds like you've had a bit of both.

when i first got pf in 1999 (i'm much better now, by the way), my primary doc did refer me -- but to an incompetent podiatrist. please get that referral, and judge whether or not you've got a good one by asking a lot of questions: about whether you should have an mri done due to the ripping feeling; the benefits of gentle, non-weight-bearing stretching either now or later; possible physical therapy; what the pod thinks of the shoes you're wearing and what you should be wearing; possible use of a night splint, icing, rest (more than a week!), and other conservative measures; whether or not you'd be a candidate for ESWT if this goes on much longer. also, when you see him/her, does the podiatrist analyze your gait and, based on the findings, refer you to a pedorthist for orthotics if you have a biomechanical problem?

if your symptoms are atypical (mine weren't), i would think more tests might be in order. as i think suzanne noted, 'atypical' symptoms aren't so uncommon, at least here on these boards -- but you want to be sure you get an accurate diagnosis.

it's great that your husband is going with you. prepare your questions in advance -- it's so easy to forget some once you get there -- and have your husband take notes on the answers so you can refer to them later. most of all, please keep coming to this site and keep us up to date. a lot of things helped me through this ordeal, but the bottom line was that heelspurs.com and the advice i got here was the biggest help and support of all.

you sound smart and motivated, so i think you'll get to the bottom of this and find good treatment. best of luck to you!

nancy

Kim R. on 10/08/02 at 09:01 (097066)

Cristi, I am a runner too. I have had an acute pf problem since early May and only yesterday inched myself back to a 3-mile run. When you are acute, the sad thing is that you will have to find alternative exercises to keep up your aerobic conditioning and keep you from going insane. It could potentially take 3 or 4 months of no running, as it did in my case, before you are even ready to attempt it. When you are acute, as you seem to be, the best thing is to bike or swim or jog in a pool. I finally resorted to cotrisone injections which helped. I switched doctors mid-stream and found a good podiatrist who is also a life long runner. After 4.5 months of intense pain, physical therapy, a night-splint, orthotics, flat shoes ( no high heels), ice, DMSO, Vioxx and so on, I went to see this new doctor. Two weeks later I was running first 1.5 miles, then 2 miles and finally yesterday 3 miles. I am not back to my normal pace simply because I don't want to do too much too soon and re-injure myself. Another thing he had me stop doing, and the people on this message board will freak at this advice, he had me stop stretching for about 2 to 3 weeks. He told me that you should not do deep stretching during the acute phase. It worked. I quit stretching for two weeks, during which I also took two cortisone shots and continued icing. He also took me off the Vioxx - his treatment has been quick and effective, unlike the four months I limped around going to physical therapy. I did start stretching after about two weeks and stretch several times a day to keep my achilles from getting tight again. The worst part is the depression and the feeling that you are never going to heal. You will heal, you just have to resolve yourself to it and choose some alternative aerobic exercise. Until the acute phase passed for me, every time I jogged a mile here or there, I literally re-injured myself and had to start over again. Go and find a good podiatrist. Take your running shoes and if you don't have some custom orthotics already, have him make some for you. As for the ripping sensation, I had that also, particularly after my first cortisone shot. I called my podiatrist about that and he said that was a reaction to the cortisone. It went away after several days, but he did not want me to run until after I had taken a second shot. Again, after the second shot, I experienced that tingly, burning sensation. It went away and now that I am running again, I don't have it at all. I suspect you need some more healing time (time heals all wounds as the old saying goes) and possibly another shot, not to mention a better doctor. I reacted quite strongly to my shots during the first two days after I took each one. My podiatrist said this is not uncommon at all. My advice to you is to stop running, as hard as that sounds, find a non-weight-bearing form of exercise that you find tolerable, a good podiatrist and you will begin to heal. Good luck to you.

Suzanne D on 10/08/02 at 12:20 (097081)

Hi, Kim. You commented that many on the message board might 'freak' about what you said concerning stretching. To the contrary, many of us found that weight-bearing stretching was counter-productive to our healing. I am assuming that this might be what you were referring to as 'deep stretching'. While stretching seems to be necessary and helpful to most people from what I have read, the wall stretching and hanging off the stairs stretching seemed to be more harmful than helpful. A great number of us have found that those stretches referred to now as 'Julie's Stretches' (from Julie, a very wise and frequent poster who is a yoga instructor)have been most helpful.

Good luck to you!

Leon S. on 10/08/02 at 15:45 (097090)

Cristi, I too am a frustrated ex runner and have substituted the running with a recumbant exercise bike. I get a good workout and use hand weights for the last 15 or so minutes of a 45 minute ride to add to it.
I'm also interested in the doctor who jumped on Ellen.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/08/02 at 17:34 (097100)

Here's a link to Julie's description of her excellent stretches:

bbv.cgi?n=91080

These have helped so many visitors to this message board. I totally agree with Suzanne, that gentle non-weightbearing (sitting down) stretches have been very helpful to me, and that stair stretches and wall stretches are just awful for most people with substantial PF symptoms.

I can testify that gentle non-weightbearing stretches were sufficient for me; nothing more was necessary as far as stretching goes, and I am essentially healed by now.

When I felt ripping, tearing feelings in my feet, what it meant was that I was re-injuring my feet and it would take a week or two or three of rest to get back to where I was before that. At first almost anything, even wiggling my toes too hard, could result in that feeling. It was a big turning point for me when I was able to NOT re-injure my feet for a few weeks, so that they could get stronger. Then I could wiggle my toes as wildly as I wanted, and do more and more things without re-injury.

Carole C