Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MRI results

Posted by Dave R on 10/08/02 at 12:44 (097083)

Hello,

I have my MRI results but will not be seeing my DPM until next week. Can you give me your impression.... as well as likely treatment?

Thanks

Here are the results below.....'39 yr old male has pain in the medial arch near heel'

'
1. Large focal thickening of the central band of the plantar facia is noted at the plantar aspect of the medial arch with diffuse increased signal noted within its substance, approximately 8 cm distal to its calcaneal original. The MRI findings are consistant with a very chronic interfacial tear or developing plantar fibroma/interfacial fibrosis. Proximal and distal tothis area the 3 bands appear normal in their signal intensity and morphology. It must be noted that there is no interfacila tear found. The plantar fat pad appears normal in its thickness and signal intensity

2. Mild tenosynovitis of the flexor hallucis longus tendon. Due to a mild amount of high T2 signal fluid is noted around the tendon from its myotendinous origin to the knot of Henry. High signal fluid causing distention of the tendon sheath is consistant with tenosynovitis.

(all other observances of the right ankle and forefoot are normal)
'

Re: MRI results

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/02 at 14:59 (097085)

The MRI demonstrates thickened plantar fascia consistent with PF. It also shows that the FHL tendon, which is the tendon that flexes the big toe is swollen in the area of the arch.
Ed

Dave R on 10/08/02 at 15:31 (097088)

Dr. Davis,

Based on the MRI findings above in my first post....what is typically the treatment for that apparent condition?

Based on my readings I was thinking maybe that immobilizing the foot for a period of time might be helpful.....along with cold-hot-cold treatment to speed healing. Thereafter orthotics.

What are your thoughts for treating this condition?

Thanks

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/02 at 19:56 (097286)

It is likely that your doc will provide the standard treatment for plantar fasciitis pending evaluation of your biomechanics.
Ed

Dave R on 10/12/02 at 15:44 (097400)

Thanks!

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/02 at 14:59 (097085)

The MRI demonstrates thickened plantar fascia consistent with PF. It also shows that the FHL tendon, which is the tendon that flexes the big toe is swollen in the area of the arch.
Ed

Dave R on 10/08/02 at 15:31 (097088)

Dr. Davis,

Based on the MRI findings above in my first post....what is typically the treatment for that apparent condition?

Based on my readings I was thinking maybe that immobilizing the foot for a period of time might be helpful.....along with cold-hot-cold treatment to speed healing. Thereafter orthotics.

What are your thoughts for treating this condition?

Thanks

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/02 at 19:56 (097286)

It is likely that your doc will provide the standard treatment for plantar fasciitis pending evaluation of your biomechanics.
Ed

Dave R on 10/12/02 at 15:44 (097400)

Thanks!