Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT arrives in my state

Posted by john h on 10/08/02 at 17:41 (097103)

An orthopedic group became the first in my state to get an ESWT machine. It is the Ossatron. They also just had a new Foot and Ankle Surgeon join the group who is a young man but does have his foot and ankle surgery fellowship. He was trained by Dr. Baxter in Houston. I decided to visit him and see just what and how they will use the Ossatron. It became immediately clear to me that I knew a lot more about the Ossatron than he did. He was unsure how many pulses they would administer for PF or at what power level. They had only used it on 8 test cases of which he said 7 indicated much improvement.I asked him who decided whether one would get an Ossatron treament and he said he made the recommendation to Healthtronics and they made the decision including what the charge would be. He had no idea how much it would cost. He viewed my x-rays and there were no heelspurs thouhg the last doc said I had the beginings of a heelspur. As I looked at the x-ray I certainly did not see any spur. Having been trained by Dr. Baxter he of course used the Baxter Procedure in any surgery. He said he would not perform any surgery on anyone who had not tried conservative treatment for at least a year and then was very picky about who he would perform it on. I listed all the things I had tried and he thinks the runners stretch in the standing position with a gentle stretch and no bouncing to be very appropriate. I told him of the many people who thouhgt weight bearing stretches to be counter productive. Based on my input he thought I would be a good candidate for the Ossatron but as I stated he said it was up to Healthtronics in the final analysis and it takes them about 3 months to make a decision after he submits his findings and request (No idea on charges). This all seems rather strange to me with Healthtronics having such tight control. I would guess the machine is either Leased or is loaned to the group with Healthtronics being paid on a case by case basis..

Re: ESWT arrives in my state

Dr. Z on 10/09/02 at 08:24 (097125)

John,

Ask him to do a treatment on your foot. In exchange you will show him how to do the procedure. That great that the ESWT availability is increasing throughout the USA

Scott D. on 10/09/02 at 14:45 (097147)

John, What state are you in?

john h on 10/10/02 at 09:17 (097220)

Scott: I am in Arkansas.

john h on 10/12/02 at 10:54 (097387)

Dr. Z: I should have asked him who is doing the procedure because it certainly must not be him. I would venture a guess that a Healthtronics sponsered tech does them. From my conversation they have only done 8 on the feet and that was for training. I read an article in one of the major hospital medical publications in town about the machine and they stated it took 5 minutes for the procedure for PF! What is with this? I told the Doctor it probably took at least 25 minuutes or more to administer 1500 shockwaves to my foot but he had no c omment. I filled out the paper work which will go to Healthtronics and should have an answer back in 3 months. I am not very hopeful it will be picked up by insurance but would give it a go if the price was within reason. With three machines out there it is a tough choice. Dr. Gordon made a good case for the Ossatron if it was on a foot that had previous PF surgery because of scar tissue. He of course has a choice of machines including the Ossatron and Sonnocur.

Re: Why deal with the rookies?

BrianG on 10/12/02 at 20:57 (097418)

Hey John,

I'm sure you must fly for free, correct? Then why not go back to NJ, to be treated by The Man with the most ESWT treatments under his belt !!!!

Aloha
BrianG

GeorgiaR on 10/13/02 at 03:26 (097420)

I had the Ossatron treatment on my right heel in November 2000 (2nd person in Texas). I had severe unremitting pain for 2 years. My treatment lasted for 45 minutes. I asked for a foot block instead of general anesthesia so I was awake and aware. But the banging noise was so loud and awful, I had them give me something after 5 minutes. My pain was gone in a week and has not recurred. The price was hefty, $4500. Insurance paid $3000. Billing came from Healthtronics.

john h on 10/13/02 at 10:16 (097427)

Brian: I do not fly for free and 'The Man' is now big time. I do miss that drive up I-95 and could make that trip to Jersey half awake I made it so many times.Last trip I drove out to Ocean City in the fall and enjoyed all. You always meet some interesting people at Dr. Z's He has come a long way since the old Orb----- days. Air fares ae really cheap these days. I can fly to N.J. roundtrip for under $200 or to Toronto roundtrip for under $200. My local guys are still in the experimental stage but as one who has made a living on the edge if it turned out it was covered by insurance (fat chance) it would be hard to pass up. Steve P lives just outside D.C. and he and I have never hooked up but would like to visit him. Nancy N is in the vicinity of Dr.Z's and she and I can always make MAC talk.. .

BrianG on 10/14/02 at 15:43 (097475)

I made that I-95 drive myself, as the airfares were just way to high at the time. It took me 6 hours each way, which was barely do-able for me. If Dr. Z didn't have that long acting Lidocaine, I'm not sure I could have driven back in one day. As long as the heels were numb, I could drive for hours!!!! :*)

For some reason I thought you were retired military, no? Don't they (retiree's) get to fly free, on stand by? If not, they should !!!!! Well, which ever way you go, I hope this treatment will be the last.

Good luck
BrianG

PS Take the 'outer loop' around DC, if you drive north. The traffic last Friday must have been horrible near the city (DC). I hate that area, and then to put up with road blocks, no thanks!!!!!

john h on 10/15/02 at 09:22 (097521)

Brian: No free flying for retired Military. We can catch military aircraft on a space available basis and have a large base near here but things can change in a hurry on a military flight and you might end up in Afganastan instead of New Jersey. We used to have these exercises called mobility exercises in the military. Special teams were put together to leave on a moments notice for what ever reason. Always had a bag packed and in my car trunk. I had gone through hundreds of these where we rushed to a plane and then it was called off as they were just checking that the system worked. Finally one day I was called, got on the airplane, and the dam engines started and we took off heading east out over the ocean. I did not know where I was going or why. I landed in Spain and it was the Cuban Missile Crisis. We were staging nuclear equipped B-52-s out of there flying right up to the Russian border.I was immediately briefed on landing it was likely we would be in a nuclear war wihin 6 hours as the russian missiles were to arrive at our blockade in short order and at that point and we would sink them if theyy did not turn back.sick sick feeling. my poor wife with a 3 year old had no idea where i was or when I would be back. I was gone for 4 months. we did not have a lot of money in those days and it was a tough go. We really really did come very close to a nuclear exchange. I flew some missions in KC-135's refueling the B-52's who were in the air 24/7 and each flight typically was 24 hours which was really tough both physically and emotionally knowing you had enough nuclear power to destroy millions of people.

Re: That was a close one!

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/15/02 at 20:42 (097576)

Many don't realize how close we came to nuclear war at that time. We were dealing with one adversary that made a decision to preserve life in the end. The hard thing now is to find the adversary -- a potentially more dangerous situation.
Ed

Julie on 10/16/02 at 04:43 (097600)

John, you've made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I remember sitting glued to the television in the final hours of the Cuban Missile Crisis, wondering if this was really 'it'.

I was transfixed by your report: I've never before known anyone who was actually involved.

BrianG on 10/17/02 at 23:21 (097787)

One thing I hadn't thought of was the down sized military of today. I personally think the US closed way to many bases. As a for instance, look at how long it took for the fighters to scramble from Cape Cod, to NYC on 9-11. It was all over by the time they got there, and they were on the after burners the whole trip. That would have never happened 20 years ago!!!

Thanks John
Brian

john h on 10/18/02 at 19:31 (097839)

Brian: My first military assignment was at Otis AFB on Cape Cod in the 50's. I flew the F-94 and our mission was as a Fighter Interceptor. One cold winter night we were scrambled which meant we should be fired up and off the ground in about 5 minutes. Somehow I had misplaced my flight suit and scrambled in my undies and flight boots. Yes I did have my helmet as it was in the aircraft. the cold war was in high gear in those days and any airliner off course coming in off the ocean would be intercepted. Even in heavy clouds we would pull up besides them (using radar) and throw a powerful searchlight on the aircraft. I bet that put a scare into the passengers especially if they knew it was a worldly 22 year old pilot in that fighter.

Dr. Z on 10/09/02 at 08:24 (097125)

John,

Ask him to do a treatment on your foot. In exchange you will show him how to do the procedure. That great that the ESWT availability is increasing throughout the USA

Scott D. on 10/09/02 at 14:45 (097147)

John, What state are you in?

john h on 10/10/02 at 09:17 (097220)

Scott: I am in Arkansas.

john h on 10/12/02 at 10:54 (097387)

Dr. Z: I should have asked him who is doing the procedure because it certainly must not be him. I would venture a guess that a Healthtronics sponsered tech does them. From my conversation they have only done 8 on the feet and that was for training. I read an article in one of the major hospital medical publications in town about the machine and they stated it took 5 minutes for the procedure for PF! What is with this? I told the Doctor it probably took at least 25 minuutes or more to administer 1500 shockwaves to my foot but he had no c omment. I filled out the paper work which will go to Healthtronics and should have an answer back in 3 months. I am not very hopeful it will be picked up by insurance but would give it a go if the price was within reason. With three machines out there it is a tough choice. Dr. Gordon made a good case for the Ossatron if it was on a foot that had previous PF surgery because of scar tissue. He of course has a choice of machines including the Ossatron and Sonnocur.

BrianG on 10/12/02 at 20:57 (097418)

Hey John,

I'm sure you must fly for free, correct? Then why not go back to NJ, to be treated by The Man with the most ESWT treatments under his belt !!!!

Aloha
BrianG

GeorgiaR on 10/13/02 at 03:26 (097420)

I had the Ossatron treatment on my right heel in November 2000 (2nd person in Texas). I had severe unremitting pain for 2 years. My treatment lasted for 45 minutes. I asked for a foot block instead of general anesthesia so I was awake and aware. But the banging noise was so loud and awful, I had them give me something after 5 minutes. My pain was gone in a week and has not recurred. The price was hefty, $4500. Insurance paid $3000. Billing came from Healthtronics.

john h on 10/13/02 at 10:16 (097427)

Brian: I do not fly for free and 'The Man' is now big time. I do miss that drive up I-95 and could make that trip to Jersey half awake I made it so many times.Last trip I drove out to Ocean City in the fall and enjoyed all. You always meet some interesting people at Dr. Z's He has come a long way since the old Orb----- days. Air fares ae really cheap these days. I can fly to N.J. roundtrip for under $200 or to Toronto roundtrip for under $200. My local guys are still in the experimental stage but as one who has made a living on the edge if it turned out it was covered by insurance (fat chance) it would be hard to pass up. Steve P lives just outside D.C. and he and I have never hooked up but would like to visit him. Nancy N is in the vicinity of Dr.Z's and she and I can always make MAC talk.. .

BrianG on 10/14/02 at 15:43 (097475)

I made that I-95 drive myself, as the airfares were just way to high at the time. It took me 6 hours each way, which was barely do-able for me. If Dr. Z didn't have that long acting Lidocaine, I'm not sure I could have driven back in one day. As long as the heels were numb, I could drive for hours!!!! :*)

For some reason I thought you were retired military, no? Don't they (retiree's) get to fly free, on stand by? If not, they should !!!!! Well, which ever way you go, I hope this treatment will be the last.

Good luck
BrianG

PS Take the 'outer loop' around DC, if you drive north. The traffic last Friday must have been horrible near the city (DC). I hate that area, and then to put up with road blocks, no thanks!!!!!

john h on 10/15/02 at 09:22 (097521)

Brian: No free flying for retired Military. We can catch military aircraft on a space available basis and have a large base near here but things can change in a hurry on a military flight and you might end up in Afganastan instead of New Jersey. We used to have these exercises called mobility exercises in the military. Special teams were put together to leave on a moments notice for what ever reason. Always had a bag packed and in my car trunk. I had gone through hundreds of these where we rushed to a plane and then it was called off as they were just checking that the system worked. Finally one day I was called, got on the airplane, and the dam engines started and we took off heading east out over the ocean. I did not know where I was going or why. I landed in Spain and it was the Cuban Missile Crisis. We were staging nuclear equipped B-52-s out of there flying right up to the Russian border.I was immediately briefed on landing it was likely we would be in a nuclear war wihin 6 hours as the russian missiles were to arrive at our blockade in short order and at that point and we would sink them if theyy did not turn back.sick sick feeling. my poor wife with a 3 year old had no idea where i was or when I would be back. I was gone for 4 months. we did not have a lot of money in those days and it was a tough go. We really really did come very close to a nuclear exchange. I flew some missions in KC-135's refueling the B-52's who were in the air 24/7 and each flight typically was 24 hours which was really tough both physically and emotionally knowing you had enough nuclear power to destroy millions of people.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/15/02 at 20:42 (097576)

Many don't realize how close we came to nuclear war at that time. We were dealing with one adversary that made a decision to preserve life in the end. The hard thing now is to find the adversary -- a potentially more dangerous situation.
Ed

Julie on 10/16/02 at 04:43 (097600)

John, you've made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I remember sitting glued to the television in the final hours of the Cuban Missile Crisis, wondering if this was really 'it'.

I was transfixed by your report: I've never before known anyone who was actually involved.

BrianG on 10/17/02 at 23:21 (097787)

One thing I hadn't thought of was the down sized military of today. I personally think the US closed way to many bases. As a for instance, look at how long it took for the fighters to scramble from Cape Cod, to NYC on 9-11. It was all over by the time they got there, and they were on the after burners the whole trip. That would have never happened 20 years ago!!!

Thanks John
Brian

john h on 10/18/02 at 19:31 (097839)

Brian: My first military assignment was at Otis AFB on Cape Cod in the 50's. I flew the F-94 and our mission was as a Fighter Interceptor. One cold winter night we were scrambled which meant we should be fired up and off the ground in about 5 minutes. Somehow I had misplaced my flight suit and scrambled in my undies and flight boots. Yes I did have my helmet as it was in the aircraft. the cold war was in high gear in those days and any airliner off course coming in off the ocean would be intercepted. Even in heavy clouds we would pull up besides them (using radar) and throw a powerful searchlight on the aircraft. I bet that put a scare into the passengers especially if they knew it was a worldly 22 year old pilot in that fighter.