Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is this a good stretch

Posted by Andrue on 10/09/02 at 07:16 (097121)

Seated at my desk, feet tucked under the chair resting on the underside of my toes. Presumably this is stretching the Plantar Fascia. If it's a good stretch I can do it nearly all day..comments?

Re: Is this a good stretch

pala on 10/09/02 at 10:39 (097133)

what position are your heels in . are you dosriflexed?

Andrue on 10/09/02 at 11:05 (097136)

Somewhat dorsiflexed but not enough to feel a stretch in the back of my leg. I won't even say that I feel a stretch in my foot but it does mean that that when I get up my recently injured foot feels okay. I gave this a try having noticed that driving (it's my right foot that's injured) gave me several minutes of relief when I got out of the car.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/09/02 at 19:08 (097163)

I think that what you are doing could cause injury to some peoples' feet maybe. But if they work for you, that's what's important. Be sure to pay attention to how your feet feel and if you have any pain. I guess they could be thought of as weightbearing stretches, since some of your weight keeps them wedged under there and pushes the toes down on the floor, even if you aren't standing.

Here are some that I've been doing while sitting at a desk, although I don't know if they are any better:

Leg stretched out in front of you, foot an inch off the floor, and rotate slowly and gently at the ankle.

Leg stretched out in front of you, lift your foot off the floor straightening your knee until you feel a *gentle* tug on your hamstrings, and dorsiflex very gently (but not enough to cause any pain at all). Hold a few seconds, maybe moving your foot gently to the right and left by rotating at the ankle.

Carole C

Julie on 10/10/02 at 03:33 (097197)

Andrue, the stretch is fine, but keeping your feet tucked under your chair isn't: it can cut off circulation in the legs and cause tension behind the knee. Ideally when sitting there should always be a right angle, or slightly more, at the knee joint.

A good alternative, which would give you the same sustained gentle dorsiflexion, is an adjustable tilted footrest. There are several on the market: I've got one made by Rubbermaid.

You can also do the yoga foot exercises (emnbarrassingly) known as 'Julie's Stretches' all day long while sitting at your desk - see Carole's post above.

Re: Welcome back, Julie! Hope you had a nice trip. (eom)

Suzanne D on 10/10/02 at 16:08 (097257)

Re: Thank you, Suzanne...

Julie on 10/10/02 at 16:25 (097260)

...and yes I did have a lovely time.

Re: Julie

Kathy G on 10/11/02 at 10:09 (097312)

Hi Julie,

Glad you had a good time. It sounds like a heavenly place!

You shouldn't be embarrassed because we call them Julie's stretches; you should be proud and think of all the people you're helping! My son and husband, both of whom spend a great deal of time on their feet, now also do your stretches. They just started doing them when they were watching me and discovered how good they felt! See, it's contagious!

Re: Kathy

Julie on 10/11/02 at 14:45 (097330)

Thank you, Kathy: that's nice of you. I should explain that the reason I feel embarrassed is that these yoga practices are part of a respected tradition in a particular school of yoga, the Bihar School, and I would not be happy if anyone who recognised them thought I was representing them as 'mine'.

But yes, of course I am happy that they have been helpful to people. I've been thinking of asking Scott if he would be willing to give them a permanent slot on the board, so that people could access them without Carole and Suzanne and others having to re-post the link whenever anyone inquires

pala on 10/09/02 at 10:39 (097133)

what position are your heels in . are you dosriflexed?

Andrue on 10/09/02 at 11:05 (097136)

Somewhat dorsiflexed but not enough to feel a stretch in the back of my leg. I won't even say that I feel a stretch in my foot but it does mean that that when I get up my recently injured foot feels okay. I gave this a try having noticed that driving (it's my right foot that's injured) gave me several minutes of relief when I got out of the car.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/09/02 at 19:08 (097163)

I think that what you are doing could cause injury to some peoples' feet maybe. But if they work for you, that's what's important. Be sure to pay attention to how your feet feel and if you have any pain. I guess they could be thought of as weightbearing stretches, since some of your weight keeps them wedged under there and pushes the toes down on the floor, even if you aren't standing.

Here are some that I've been doing while sitting at a desk, although I don't know if they are any better:

Leg stretched out in front of you, foot an inch off the floor, and rotate slowly and gently at the ankle.

Leg stretched out in front of you, lift your foot off the floor straightening your knee until you feel a *gentle* tug on your hamstrings, and dorsiflex very gently (but not enough to cause any pain at all). Hold a few seconds, maybe moving your foot gently to the right and left by rotating at the ankle.

Carole C

Julie on 10/10/02 at 03:33 (097197)

Andrue, the stretch is fine, but keeping your feet tucked under your chair isn't: it can cut off circulation in the legs and cause tension behind the knee. Ideally when sitting there should always be a right angle, or slightly more, at the knee joint.

A good alternative, which would give you the same sustained gentle dorsiflexion, is an adjustable tilted footrest. There are several on the market: I've got one made by Rubbermaid.

You can also do the yoga foot exercises (emnbarrassingly) known as 'Julie's Stretches' all day long while sitting at your desk - see Carole's post above.

Re: Welcome back, Julie! Hope you had a nice trip. (eom)

Suzanne D on 10/10/02 at 16:08 (097257)

Re: Thank you, Suzanne...

Julie on 10/10/02 at 16:25 (097260)

...and yes I did have a lovely time.

Re: Julie

Kathy G on 10/11/02 at 10:09 (097312)

Hi Julie,

Glad you had a good time. It sounds like a heavenly place!

You shouldn't be embarrassed because we call them Julie's stretches; you should be proud and think of all the people you're helping! My son and husband, both of whom spend a great deal of time on their feet, now also do your stretches. They just started doing them when they were watching me and discovered how good they felt! See, it's contagious!

Re: Kathy

Julie on 10/11/02 at 14:45 (097330)

Thank you, Kathy: that's nice of you. I should explain that the reason I feel embarrassed is that these yoga practices are part of a respected tradition in a particular school of yoga, the Bihar School, and I would not be happy if anyone who recognised them thought I was representing them as 'mine'.

But yes, of course I am happy that they have been helpful to people. I've been thinking of asking Scott if he would be willing to give them a permanent slot on the board, so that people could access them without Carole and Suzanne and others having to re-post the link whenever anyone inquires