Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

stitch in leg...

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 10/10/02 at 12:35 (097238)

I kind of went on a mini-crash diet. I noticed this happens every crash diet...I get a stitch in a leg. Mine sometimes cause charley horses.
I went to the chiropractor and he was able to loosen it a little...and it is more bearable...but I still have it (3 days). They usually go away on there own.

I am thinking maybe my grocery shopping trips did it...I tend to lean all my weight on my better foot. Also maybe I deplea my body of salt since I tend to lose a lot of fluid when I crash diet. (It is a medical diet and it
has all food groups from a hospital). I am on Weight Watchers but get frustrated when I start yo-yoing in weight (I may have a thyroid problem but my blood tests ALWAYS come back 100% normal). I say all this in case somebody is worried about my crash diet.

Anyway...I am wondering what you all do for these? I do take a hot bath and try to massage with hand creme. I have to drive a ways tonight and just dread the old lock muscle cramp I can get in that leg.

Any good vitamins for this? Techniques? Please share.

Blessings.

PS: I think whenever my feet get a little better...I must go through other pain as I start doing more.

Re: stitch in leg...

Carole C in NOLA on 10/10/02 at 12:50 (097239)

How about calcium and/or potassium? Sometimes I get muscle cramps due to being low on these nutrients.

So, sometimes it helps to eat a banana for potassium (2 WW points) and a cup of skim or low fat milk for calcium (2 WW points), if you have the points left today.

I sure do sympathize because leg cramps can be SO painful.

Carole C

Re: OOPS

Carole C in NOLA on 10/10/02 at 12:52 (097240)

Oh! I'm sorry... I misread your post and thought you were on Weight Watchers. OOPS!

My apologies. But maybe the banana and milk fit into your present diet.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 10/10/02 at 15:24 (097250)

I was just reading yesterday that B-vitamin deficiencies can cause cramps. There was also another vitamin mentioned but I can't remember which one. Might have been a mineral--(Magnesium or calcium?). If you want me to find out, just let me know. The specific B vitamin they mentioned was B-6 but I would think a B-complex containing all the Bs would be better--a guess.
Let me know if you want me to re-read the literature from which I got the info.
Ellen J.

Julie on 10/10/02 at 16:29 (097261)

Crash diets usually result in a good deal of fluid loss, so you may be a bit dehydrated - which is a great cause of cramp. Drink more water to replace the lost fluids. Calcium and magnesium and B-complex are helpful; more salt in your diet might be too.

There's a pressure point for relieving cramp between the big and second toes. Press hard into the webbed bit there with your thumb - this usually works.

Kathy G on 10/11/02 at 10:06 (097311)

Hi Melissa,

I found that stretching on the tilt board my husband made me helps to alleviate the muscles spasm I sometimes get in my calf. I don't know if it's the same as what you're experiencing. Also, Julies stretches are great and I do them unconsciously whenever I feel a twinge.

Are you taking a good multivitamin as well as calcium supplements? And Carole's suggestion of increasing your potassium might help. If you don't like bananas, you could have a class or tomato juice which is also rich in postassium.

I hope it's feeling better - it's a lousy pain. As if any pain is good!!!

Re: thanks everyone...

Mahatmelissama on 10/13/02 at 21:40 (097445)

I only lost .8 lbs. on my crash diet...not worth it.

I am doing better but STILL my right leg's muscle is ever so slightly wanting to cramp again. I am treating it pretty gingerly.

I am eating the bananas. I might have a V8 tomorrow. I am taking warm baths too. My right foot felt crampy in the bath water but was ok when I got out of the bath.

I am so sick of PF.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/10/02 at 12:50 (097239)

How about calcium and/or potassium? Sometimes I get muscle cramps due to being low on these nutrients.

So, sometimes it helps to eat a banana for potassium (2 WW points) and a cup of skim or low fat milk for calcium (2 WW points), if you have the points left today.

I sure do sympathize because leg cramps can be SO painful.

Carole C

Re: OOPS

Carole C in NOLA on 10/10/02 at 12:52 (097240)

Oh! I'm sorry... I misread your post and thought you were on Weight Watchers. OOPS!

My apologies. But maybe the banana and milk fit into your present diet.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 10/10/02 at 15:24 (097250)

I was just reading yesterday that B-vitamin deficiencies can cause cramps. There was also another vitamin mentioned but I can't remember which one. Might have been a mineral--(Magnesium or calcium?). If you want me to find out, just let me know. The specific B vitamin they mentioned was B-6 but I would think a B-complex containing all the Bs would be better--a guess.
Let me know if you want me to re-read the literature from which I got the info.
Ellen J.

Julie on 10/10/02 at 16:29 (097261)

Crash diets usually result in a good deal of fluid loss, so you may be a bit dehydrated - which is a great cause of cramp. Drink more water to replace the lost fluids. Calcium and magnesium and B-complex are helpful; more salt in your diet might be too.

There's a pressure point for relieving cramp between the big and second toes. Press hard into the webbed bit there with your thumb - this usually works.

Kathy G on 10/11/02 at 10:06 (097311)

Hi Melissa,

I found that stretching on the tilt board my husband made me helps to alleviate the muscles spasm I sometimes get in my calf. I don't know if it's the same as what you're experiencing. Also, Julies stretches are great and I do them unconsciously whenever I feel a twinge.

Are you taking a good multivitamin as well as calcium supplements? And Carole's suggestion of increasing your potassium might help. If you don't like bananas, you could have a class or tomato juice which is also rich in postassium.

I hope it's feeling better - it's a lousy pain. As if any pain is good!!!

Re: thanks everyone...

Mahatmelissama on 10/13/02 at 21:40 (097445)

I only lost .8 lbs. on my crash diet...not worth it.

I am doing better but STILL my right leg's muscle is ever so slightly wanting to cramp again. I am treating it pretty gingerly.

I am eating the bananas. I might have a V8 tomorrow. I am taking warm baths too. My right foot felt crampy in the bath water but was ok when I got out of the bath.

I am so sick of PF.