Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question on FMLA ACT

Posted by linda on 10/10/02 at 13:35 (097242)

around sept 2001 i filed for FMLA for bipolar disorder . the problem is throughout this past year i used up around 12 weeks . some of the weeks missed was due the company politics . i literally had to fight for my job back . well anway , i just got out the hospital due to a manic episode . my doctor says i need to protect my job and fill out another FMLA , however work was questioning it . can i file a another FMLA even though i used up 12 weeks last year ? linda (ky)

Re: question on FMLA ACT

Carole C in NOLA on 10/10/02 at 14:29 (097244)

What is the FMLA Act? Is it like disability for mental illness? If it is, I don't see how it would hurt to at least try for it again, especially with your doctor on your side. The worst they can do is say no, right?

I hope you feel better soon.

Carole C

Re: Hi, Linda!

Suzanne D on 10/10/02 at 16:04 (097256)

I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to say 'hello' to you! I hope you are feeling better.

Suzanne :-)

linda on 10/10/02 at 19:58 (097287)

hello carole ! FMLA stands for family medical leave act , president clinton wrote that act for all employees who work for employers that hire more than 50 employees . someone out there could correct on my answer . anyway you could take off for any type of illness foot , headache , your child being sick up to 12 weeks .it doesn't have to be all lump together and can be intermittent leave . your employer has to guarantee that you will still have a job ( you may not have your original job ) w/ the company . i hope that i helped a little bit . linda (ky) .

Carole C in NOLA on 10/10/02 at 20:08 (097292)

Thank you, Linda. I had not heard of this! Good luck and I hope you are feeling better.

Carole C

linda on 10/10/02 at 20:27 (097294)

thanks suzanne ! it is difficult for me to understand how people still discriminate against the mentally ill . you see this isn't the the first time my new supervisor has harassed me over my illness . so, going into the hospital was the icing on the cake for this relationship . some people think i can just snap out of it . truth is sometimes i need to be hospilization when my mind begin to race and i have no control over the thought process and then there is the downward spiral ( deep depression ) and this can all happen in the same day or next day . spending a some days in the mental hospital is no country club stay especially here in Ky . but they are decent hospitals . my psych doc listen to me and change some meds around this time . even though i don't write , i do read the support board when my mind allows me . linda (Ky)

BrianG on 10/10/02 at 22:28 (097298)

Hi Linda,

It sounds lke you could use an attorney for this one. If you can't afford one, some will work pro bono (free). I believe it's something they have to do every year. Don't quote me on that though :*)

Good luck
BrianG

Re: carole-- i left a important detail off

linda on 10/11/02 at 09:24 (097307)

carole -- sometimes i have memory loss . fmla works like this . you go to your doctor and whatever you want the FMLA to stand for say migraines , the doctor writes down migraines for intermittent leave . so, when you call in sick for migraines it will not be counted against you by your employer ,because you are protected .oh, could you please stop sending us your raining weather this way . i know it is better not to be in the path of the hurricaine but i'm a sick of rain . my sister has her neighbor's big tree in her backyard . i was praying for you . i didn't know how close you live to the ocean . linda(ky)

linda on 10/11/02 at 09:29 (097308)

thank you brian ! i am going to check w/ the state dept . i check once before w/ them in april about filing charges . it is very hard to get them to answer the phone / or even to call you back . so ,i had to go downtown to see them in person . big hassel to find a parking space close to building . anyway they were helpful . take care . linda (KY)

Re: Linda... thanks :)

Carole C in NOLA on 10/11/02 at 12:50 (097326)

Thanks for caring and for your prayers! New Orleans is both close to the ocean and below sea level. Maybe your prayers worked because we were not hit hard by Hurricane Lili. We are having more rain and flash flood watches/warnings this week, but it's not nearly as bad as the storms the past two weeks.

Thanks for the additional information about FMLA. I did not know it existed so now I've learned something.

Carole C

Re: I used FMLA for PF

Valerie S on 10/12/02 at 06:59 (097368)

Hi Linda,

I used the FMLA for my PF. I used the 12 weeks consecutively, and when that ran out, I was told to file for an extension under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act), which was approved for another 12 weeks.

Have you tried calling an attorney? I know Brian already said this, but I was able to find a Workman's Comp lawyer that gave me a free consultation and offered to file my claim for free. I realize this is different than getting PF from working... but I'm sure there is someone who can help you.

Good luck to you,
Val.

linda on 10/12/02 at 15:33 (097399)

thank you valerie ! i truly am grateful for the help that i receive from this support group . linda

Carole C in NOLA on 10/10/02 at 14:29 (097244)

What is the FMLA Act? Is it like disability for mental illness? If it is, I don't see how it would hurt to at least try for it again, especially with your doctor on your side. The worst they can do is say no, right?

I hope you feel better soon.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 10/10/02 at 16:04 (097256)

I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to say 'hello' to you! I hope you are feeling better.

Suzanne :-)

linda on 10/10/02 at 19:58 (097287)

hello carole ! FMLA stands for family medical leave act , president clinton wrote that act for all employees who work for employers that hire more than 50 employees . someone out there could correct on my answer . anyway you could take off for any type of illness foot , headache , your child being sick up to 12 weeks .it doesn't have to be all lump together and can be intermittent leave . your employer has to guarantee that you will still have a job ( you may not have your original job ) w/ the company . i hope that i helped a little bit . linda (ky) .

Carole C in NOLA on 10/10/02 at 20:08 (097292)

Thank you, Linda. I had not heard of this! Good luck and I hope you are feeling better.

Carole C

linda on 10/10/02 at 20:27 (097294)

thanks suzanne ! it is difficult for me to understand how people still discriminate against the mentally ill . you see this isn't the the first time my new supervisor has harassed me over my illness . so, going into the hospital was the icing on the cake for this relationship . some people think i can just snap out of it . truth is sometimes i need to be hospilization when my mind begin to race and i have no control over the thought process and then there is the downward spiral ( deep depression ) and this can all happen in the same day or next day . spending a some days in the mental hospital is no country club stay especially here in Ky . but they are decent hospitals . my psych doc listen to me and change some meds around this time . even though i don't write , i do read the support board when my mind allows me . linda (Ky)

BrianG on 10/10/02 at 22:28 (097298)

Hi Linda,

It sounds lke you could use an attorney for this one. If you can't afford one, some will work pro bono (free). I believe it's something they have to do every year. Don't quote me on that though :*)

Good luck
BrianG

Re: carole-- i left a important detail off

linda on 10/11/02 at 09:24 (097307)

carole -- sometimes i have memory loss . fmla works like this . you go to your doctor and whatever you want the FMLA to stand for say migraines , the doctor writes down migraines for intermittent leave . so, when you call in sick for migraines it will not be counted against you by your employer ,because you are protected .oh, could you please stop sending us your raining weather this way . i know it is better not to be in the path of the hurricaine but i'm a sick of rain . my sister has her neighbor's big tree in her backyard . i was praying for you . i didn't know how close you live to the ocean . linda(ky)

linda on 10/11/02 at 09:29 (097308)

thank you brian ! i am going to check w/ the state dept . i check once before w/ them in april about filing charges . it is very hard to get them to answer the phone / or even to call you back . so ,i had to go downtown to see them in person . big hassel to find a parking space close to building . anyway they were helpful . take care . linda (KY)

Re: Linda... thanks :)

Carole C in NOLA on 10/11/02 at 12:50 (097326)

Thanks for caring and for your prayers! New Orleans is both close to the ocean and below sea level. Maybe your prayers worked because we were not hit hard by Hurricane Lili. We are having more rain and flash flood watches/warnings this week, but it's not nearly as bad as the storms the past two weeks.

Thanks for the additional information about FMLA. I did not know it existed so now I've learned something.

Carole C

Valerie S on 10/12/02 at 06:59 (097368)

Hi Linda,

I used the FMLA for my PF. I used the 12 weeks consecutively, and when that ran out, I was told to file for an extension under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act), which was approved for another 12 weeks.

Have you tried calling an attorney? I know Brian already said this, but I was able to find a Workman's Comp lawyer that gave me a free consultation and offered to file my claim for free. I realize this is different than getting PF from working... but I'm sure there is someone who can help you.

Good luck to you,
Val.

linda on 10/12/02 at 15:33 (097399)

thank you valerie ! i truly am grateful for the help that i receive from this support group . linda