Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does Yoga require warming up first?

Posted by Ellen J. on 10/10/02 at 19:17 (097278)

I'm taking a yoga class which I love and also using a yoga video at home on days when there is no class. Neither the class instructor nor the video instructor have us warm up before doing yoga. I am interested in knowing if I should be warming up before doing the yoga.
Has anyone had experience with this? Any pulled muscles due to not warming up?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Ellen J.

Re: Does Yoga require warming up first?

Ang D. on 10/10/02 at 19:42 (097282)

They usually warm the body up w/ lite stretching in a series of poses then when the body gets warm you will stretch deeper. However, since I do it at home I try to do my own warmup first, just to be on the safe side. It is safer to stretch warm muscles than cold ones.

Ellen J. on 10/10/02 at 21:05 (097295)

Thanks,
So far I've been doing 200 crunches in order to warm up, but I don't know if that's enough. When I go to the class I have not warmed up at all, so maybe now I should.
What you say about the light poses makes sense. The initial poses are simple, and toward the end of the class they are more difficult.
Thanks for your info.
Ellen

elliott on 10/11/02 at 10:50 (097316)

Doing the 200 crunches sounds very extreme. A yoga instructor usually starts slowly with stuff like Standing Forward Bend, which itself can be eased into, e.g. by repeatedly first reaching arms up to the sky, doing eagle pose and other half-way poses before going all the way into SFB, then slowly easing into sun salutation series/triangle poses to loosen the hips, etc. In short, you loosen up for yoga by doing yoga, smartly. In time, you'll be generally looser, an admirable goal. I sometimes do the above, especially the SFB stuff and its preliminaries, before entering class, so I'm already loose in case the instructor doesn't spend enough time to my liking.

[]

Ellen J. on 10/11/02 at 11:30 (097319)

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I like the idea of doing a few simpler poses before class and I will do that from now on because prior to the start of the class, everyone is already sitting on their mats for about 10 minutes, some of them stretching, some meditating or talking. A good time to get in some easy warm-up stretches.
Thanks again,
Ellen

Ang D. on 10/10/02 at 19:42 (097282)

They usually warm the body up w/ lite stretching in a series of poses then when the body gets warm you will stretch deeper. However, since I do it at home I try to do my own warmup first, just to be on the safe side. It is safer to stretch warm muscles than cold ones.

Ellen J. on 10/10/02 at 21:05 (097295)

Thanks,
So far I've been doing 200 crunches in order to warm up, but I don't know if that's enough. When I go to the class I have not warmed up at all, so maybe now I should.
What you say about the light poses makes sense. The initial poses are simple, and toward the end of the class they are more difficult.
Thanks for your info.
Ellen

elliott on 10/11/02 at 10:50 (097316)

Doing the 200 crunches sounds very extreme. A yoga instructor usually starts slowly with stuff like Standing Forward Bend, which itself can be eased into, e.g. by repeatedly first reaching arms up to the sky, doing eagle pose and other half-way poses before going all the way into SFB, then slowly easing into sun salutation series/triangle poses to loosen the hips, etc. In short, you loosen up for yoga by doing yoga, smartly. In time, you'll be generally looser, an admirable goal. I sometimes do the above, especially the SFB stuff and its preliminaries, before entering class, so I'm already loose in case the instructor doesn't spend enough time to my liking.

[]

Ellen J. on 10/11/02 at 11:30 (097319)

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I like the idea of doing a few simpler poses before class and I will do that from now on because prior to the start of the class, everyone is already sitting on their mats for about 10 minutes, some of them stretching, some meditating or talking. A good time to get in some easy warm-up stretches.
Thanks again,
Ellen