Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is deep massage on the body OK? (trigger point therapy)

Posted by Ellen J. on 10/10/02 at 19:26 (097280)

Sorry to ask so many queations today.
I'm about to have trigger point therapy done and supposedly the doctor presses very hard on a sore, tight spot in the muscle and I know it hurts (he showed me by pressing my tight calf). When he pressed my calf, my arch began to hurt even though he never even touched the foot, as I won't allow it. I do have very tight muscles in my hip, back, legs.
Has anyone had experience with this, and were the results good or bad?
Ellen J.

Re: yes

carmen h on 10/11/02 at 08:49 (097304)

It's fine. It doesn't hurt that bad...it's more of a good hurt. When you feel the TP releasing it's a real relief. You will be a little sore after but should feel immediate relief where the point was treated.

Ellen J. on 10/11/02 at 10:01 (097310)

Hi,
Thanks Carmen. It will be interesting to see what happens, though I am apprehensive because I'm afraid that when he does the calves, it might affect the feet like it did last time.
Well, I guess this is a case of 'no pain, no gain'.
Ellen

carmen h on 10/11/02 at 15:47 (097334)

Good luck..Let me know how it goes. Sometimes the feet hurt BECAUSE of the TP's in the calves...you never know once the tp's are released your feet could be relieved too.

Re: Ellen

Pete on 10/12/02 at 07:38 (097370)

The fact your feet hurt when the tp's are massaged is a GOOD sign, this would seem to suggest that all, or at least part, of your foot problem can be fixed by treating the Tp's. I'm no doctor just what I've read and my pod has told me.

Good luck

Re: thanks, pete!!

Ellen J. on 10/12/02 at 11:11 (097391)

Wow, that is good news, and I sure hope it works out that way. I'm not holding my breath or having any kind of high expectations about it, but will wait and see. Still, I'm scared that I will be crippled and set back after the initial session. Can you tell me if your feet hurt more (temporarily) as a result of having the therapy? I have anxiety about being set back by this.
Thanks for your note.
Ellen

carmen h on 10/11/02 at 08:49 (097304)

It's fine. It doesn't hurt that bad...it's more of a good hurt. When you feel the TP releasing it's a real relief. You will be a little sore after but should feel immediate relief where the point was treated.

Ellen J. on 10/11/02 at 10:01 (097310)

Hi,
Thanks Carmen. It will be interesting to see what happens, though I am apprehensive because I'm afraid that when he does the calves, it might affect the feet like it did last time.
Well, I guess this is a case of 'no pain, no gain'.
Ellen

carmen h on 10/11/02 at 15:47 (097334)

Good luck..Let me know how it goes. Sometimes the feet hurt BECAUSE of the TP's in the calves...you never know once the tp's are released your feet could be relieved too.

Re: Ellen

Pete on 10/12/02 at 07:38 (097370)

The fact your feet hurt when the tp's are massaged is a GOOD sign, this would seem to suggest that all, or at least part, of your foot problem can be fixed by treating the Tp's. I'm no doctor just what I've read and my pod has told me.

Good luck

Re: thanks, pete!!

Ellen J. on 10/12/02 at 11:11 (097391)

Wow, that is good news, and I sure hope it works out that way. I'm not holding my breath or having any kind of high expectations about it, but will wait and see. Still, I'm scared that I will be crippled and set back after the initial session. Can you tell me if your feet hurt more (temporarily) as a result of having the therapy? I have anxiety about being set back by this.
Thanks for your note.
Ellen