Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

clarification between bone spur and pf

Posted by Denise N. on 10/11/02 at 15:04 (097331)

I'm confused. What is the difference between a bone spur and pf?

I am currently off because of a bone spur on my left heel. I have had the cast for 4 weeks - but to no avail. I have just received a cortizone shot on Monday and told to stay off if for 2 weeks. I also like to walk for exercise but haven't been able to do that since August. How often can you receive a cortizone shot? I don't know what the next step will be. I see the pod again on October 21st.

Help

Re: clarification between bone spur and pf

Carole C in NOLA on 10/11/02 at 20:14 (097354)

Denise, I'm not a foot doctor but another PF sufferer. Here's what I understand about the difference between a heel spur and PF.

Plantar fasciitis (PF) causes pain, and it also can cause the formation of a heel spur. So, when my doctor diagnosed my PF, he took an x-ray and the heelspurs helped him in his diagnosis.

Some people have heel spurs without PF or any pain, and in that case they usually aren't even aware of the heel spurs. The heel spurs don't cause PF.

Some people have PF without heel spurs, but if they have substantial PF for a long time they're likely to get them.

It's important to start treating your PF with conservative treatments like ice, stretching, shoes that are good for PF, and so on. The heel spur book, which you can read on this website, is full of helpful information and tips.

Carole C

Re: Oops, I meant the heel pain book

Carole C in NOLA on 10/11/02 at 20:14 (097355)

Re: clarification between bone spur and pf

Carole C in NOLA on 10/11/02 at 20:14 (097354)

Denise, I'm not a foot doctor but another PF sufferer. Here's what I understand about the difference between a heel spur and PF.

Plantar fasciitis (PF) causes pain, and it also can cause the formation of a heel spur. So, when my doctor diagnosed my PF, he took an x-ray and the heelspurs helped him in his diagnosis.

Some people have heel spurs without PF or any pain, and in that case they usually aren't even aware of the heel spurs. The heel spurs don't cause PF.

Some people have PF without heel spurs, but if they have substantial PF for a long time they're likely to get them.

It's important to start treating your PF with conservative treatments like ice, stretching, shoes that are good for PF, and so on. The heel spur book, which you can read on this website, is full of helpful information and tips.

Carole C

Re: Oops, I meant the heel pain book

Carole C in NOLA on 10/11/02 at 20:14 (097355)