Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

please help me heal my pain

Posted by Julie R on 10/11/02 at 20:28 (097356)

Every morning when i get up i have sharp pains in both my heels and find it very hard to walk for at least 1/2 hr. After I've been on my feet for a period of 2hrs the pain re-occurs and again i find it hard to walk. One doctor put me on tablets and the other put me on exercise... what do you recommend i do?

regards,

Julie

Re: please help me heal my pain

Mar on 10/12/02 at 08:09 (097376)

Julie --

Have you read the Heal Pain Book here? It sounds like PF. You need to rest, ice, stretch, and probably get orthotics before the pain gets worse. Good luck -- Mar

Julie on 10/12/02 at 10:06 (097381)

Julie

Yes, do read the heel pain book (click on the blue link here) as Mar suggests. Is either of the doctors you've seen a podiatrist? If not, you should see one to get a full examination and a diagnosis of the cause of your heel pain, so that it can be dealt with. Don't delay: the sooner it is diagnosed and dealt with, the quicker you will heal.

What kind of 'exercise' was suggested?

To alleviate the pain you're experiencing first thing in the morning, do a few simple exercises in bed before you get up. Bend your feet backwards and forwards several times, emphasising the backward movement, and circle them at the ankles several times, first separately and then together. This will counteract the tightening of the fascia that takes place overnight.

Keep a pair of good supportive shoes (Birkenstock sandals, perhaps) by your bed and slip your feet into them. Try not ever to put weight on your bare feet: that can be one of the worst things for plantar fasciitis, if that's what you have (and it does sound as though it is).

Mar on 10/12/02 at 08:09 (097376)

Julie --

Have you read the Heal Pain Book here? It sounds like PF. You need to rest, ice, stretch, and probably get orthotics before the pain gets worse. Good luck -- Mar

Julie on 10/12/02 at 10:06 (097381)

Julie

Yes, do read the heel pain book (click on the blue link here) as Mar suggests. Is either of the doctors you've seen a podiatrist? If not, you should see one to get a full examination and a diagnosis of the cause of your heel pain, so that it can be dealt with. Don't delay: the sooner it is diagnosed and dealt with, the quicker you will heal.

What kind of 'exercise' was suggested?

To alleviate the pain you're experiencing first thing in the morning, do a few simple exercises in bed before you get up. Bend your feet backwards and forwards several times, emphasising the backward movement, and circle them at the ankles several times, first separately and then together. This will counteract the tightening of the fascia that takes place overnight.

Keep a pair of good supportive shoes (Birkenstock sandals, perhaps) by your bed and slip your feet into them. Try not ever to put weight on your bare feet: that can be one of the worst things for plantar fasciitis, if that's what you have (and it does sound as though it is).