Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain/home treatment suggestions

Posted by Mae H. on 10/11/02 at 22:22 (097362)

I live in rural China with no proper access to medical treatment. When in the states, I have worked with a Podiatrist regarding the heel pain. I wear orthotics in both shoes, never go barefoot. After adjusting the orthotics in August, the pain level was significantly reduced until I returned to 'normal life' in China which includes lots of walking on uneven ground, biking, standing on concrete floors for several hours at a time to teach (2 -6 hours/day)etc. I normally wear good athletic shoes or hiking boots that the podatrist encouraged. Now, the pain level has escalated again. Are there any home treatments that can be tried to reduce the pain? There is a need for weight loss but it is a bit of a catch 22 as with the heel pain, it is difficult to exercise in order to lose weight.
I have tried ESWT once last February and it seemed to help until I had an intense session with lots of stairs, long periods of standing on concrete floors to teach (8 hours a day)etc. After four days, I was back to the original pain level. Is it worthwhile to try the ESWT again? It is a lot less expensive in Thailand, which is where I had it done before.
Thank you for any suggestions

Re: heel pain/home treatment suggestions

carmen h on 10/12/02 at 08:55 (097379)

Read the heelp pain book on this site. There are lots of suggestions.

Re: heel pain/home treatment suggestions

carmen h on 10/12/02 at 08:55 (097379)

Read the heelp pain book on this site. There are lots of suggestions.