Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2 mos. post tts surgery and still in pain. Help!

Posted by Steve on 10/12/02 at 19:31 (097411)

To Dr. Z or Dr. Ed Davis,
It's been 2 months since my TTS surgery and I'm still in alot of pain.
My ortho says it could be 6 mos to a year before I notice improvement.
My surgery report explains that I had a very tight, deep abductor hallucis fascia that was released all the way to the midfoot. My ortho says that he is 95% positive that this was causing my pain symptoms for the last 7 years. I injured my foot on a exercise machine. He also says that since my nerve was trapped for so long, it can take a long time to recover.
I was non-weight-bearing for the 1st week after surgery, and then in a walking boot for the last 7 weeks. My ortho removed the boot this past week and the pain has been very bad. I'm icing a few times a day, getting PT 3 time a week, and wearing ortotics from before the surgery.

I'm discouraged even though I know that I know this surgery is not always easy to recover from.

Is there anything else I should be doing?
Thanks.

Steve

Re: 2 mos. post tts surgery and still in pain. Help!

pam maples on 10/12/02 at 19:53 (097414)

DR. Steve
I had heel spur syndrome surgey on the 19 of july, I am eally having bad pain an swelling in my foot. Plus I am hurting all the way to my knee. The pain is bad. i went back to my dr. an he said i had alot of scare tissue built up on the part he did the surgey on. an there is alot of red stricks on the heel. i have made an app. with another dr. on the 22 of this month for a different dio.. I would like to know if an infections could be in my foot , an if so can it be causing all this pain?? on a scale from 1 to 10 it's a 10 .. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Thank You,

pam maples

Re: Time to see a doctor, now !!

BrianG on 10/12/02 at 20:50 (097417)

Hi Pam,

If you have an infection, you should see a doctor right away, do not wait 12 days until your next appointment. Go to the nearest emergency room, asap.

Regards
BrianG, not a doc

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/14/02 at 18:57 (097487)

Steve:

Once the pressure is taken off the nerve it can take a long time for the nerve to heel. Nerve tissue is the slowest healing tissue in the body.
Consider use of a TENS unit for the pain.
Ed

pam maples on 10/12/02 at 19:53 (097414)

DR. Steve
I had heel spur syndrome surgey on the 19 of july, I am eally having bad pain an swelling in my foot. Plus I am hurting all the way to my knee. The pain is bad. i went back to my dr. an he said i had alot of scare tissue built up on the part he did the surgey on. an there is alot of red stricks on the heel. i have made an app. with another dr. on the 22 of this month for a different dio.. I would like to know if an infections could be in my foot , an if so can it be causing all this pain?? on a scale from 1 to 10 it's a 10 .. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Thank You,

pam maples

Re: Time to see a doctor, now !!

BrianG on 10/12/02 at 20:50 (097417)

Hi Pam,

If you have an infection, you should see a doctor right away, do not wait 12 days until your next appointment. Go to the nearest emergency room, asap.

Regards
BrianG, not a doc

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/14/02 at 18:57 (097487)

Steve:

Once the pressure is taken off the nerve it can take a long time for the nerve to heel. Nerve tissue is the slowest healing tissue in the body.
Consider use of a TENS unit for the pain.
Ed