Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Been to doctor, still in pain, no relief in sight

Posted by Terri G. on 10/13/02 at 00:32 (097419)

Hi,
I've been to a podiatrist who x-rayed my foot and I do have a heel spur along with Plantar fasciitis. He fitted me with orthotics and told me that surgury to remove the heel spur would be a waste of money. They don't remove it,he said. They just help you live with it. I'm 42 years old and have been very active all my life. I've danced, exercised, played tennis, and now, all of the sudden, I am limping around like an old person. I've had the orthotics for 2 weeks, I've been also doing accupuncture for the pain. Nothing has helped. I'm very upset and don't know what to do except to consult another doctor. Please give me advice as to what to do next.

Thanks,

Re: Been to doctor, still in pain, no relief in sight

Julie on 10/13/02 at 04:44 (097423)

Terri, read the heel pain book here on this site for information and ideas about conservative treatments for PF. It will also be useful for you to read the message boards for the benefit of other peole's experience.

It's certainly in your podiatrist's favour that he discourages you from considering surgery, which is often unsuccessful and always a last resort. But if he did not suggest a comprehensive plan of conservative treatments, it might be a good idea to see another podiatrist.

I'm curious: did he fully evaluate your gait (watch you walk on a treadmill) before he 'fitted you for orthotics'? And how did he 'fit' you? Were you casted, and if so, how was the casting done?

Dr. David S. Wander on 10/13/02 at 14:52 (097434)

Terri, If that's all your doctor told you I would find another doctor in a hurry. Orthotics don't always work for everyone, and custom orthotics are not always necessary for everyone. There are many conservative treatment options including, taping/strapping, injection(s), cushions, change of shoes, custom orthotics, over-the-counter orthotics, weight loss, oral anti-inflammatory medication, physical therapy/stretching, night splints/Strassburg sock, casting, surgery, extra-corporeal shock wave therapy, etc. Read Scott's text on this website regarding different treatment options. Rather than telling you that removing the spur is a waste of money, the doctor should have explained the reason. It is pretty well accepted among physicians, that the actual heel spur rarely is the cause of the pain, therefore the actual spur doesn't have to be treated. Sounds like you need a doctor that will do some explaining.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/14/02 at 18:52 (097486)

Some good suggestions but it generally takes orthotics more than 2 weeks to work. Give them some time and return to your doc for necessary adjustments.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/14/02 at 19:04 (097489)

I would go to Dr Wander. I love his complete and clear postings

Dr. David S. Wander on 10/14/02 at 23:11 (097504)

Dave, (Dr. Z)

Thanks for the praise, would you like me to make you an appointment????
P.S. I'll see you at the meeting on Wednesday.

Terri G. on 10/16/02 at 00:07 (097596)

Thanks for the suggestions. That has convinced me that I need to get a second opinion. I don't have confidence in this doc. So...now I need to find a good doctor. Any chance you might be in the LA area? Or know of a good doctor out here?

Thanks,

Terri G.

Julie on 10/13/02 at 04:44 (097423)

Terri, read the heel pain book here on this site for information and ideas about conservative treatments for PF. It will also be useful for you to read the message boards for the benefit of other peole's experience.

It's certainly in your podiatrist's favour that he discourages you from considering surgery, which is often unsuccessful and always a last resort. But if he did not suggest a comprehensive plan of conservative treatments, it might be a good idea to see another podiatrist.

I'm curious: did he fully evaluate your gait (watch you walk on a treadmill) before he 'fitted you for orthotics'? And how did he 'fit' you? Were you casted, and if so, how was the casting done?

Dr. David S. Wander on 10/13/02 at 14:52 (097434)

Terri, If that's all your doctor told you I would find another doctor in a hurry. Orthotics don't always work for everyone, and custom orthotics are not always necessary for everyone. There are many conservative treatment options including, taping/strapping, injection(s), cushions, change of shoes, custom orthotics, over-the-counter orthotics, weight loss, oral anti-inflammatory medication, physical therapy/stretching, night splints/Strassburg sock, casting, surgery, extra-corporeal shock wave therapy, etc. Read Scott's text on this website regarding different treatment options. Rather than telling you that removing the spur is a waste of money, the doctor should have explained the reason. It is pretty well accepted among physicians, that the actual heel spur rarely is the cause of the pain, therefore the actual spur doesn't have to be treated. Sounds like you need a doctor that will do some explaining.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/14/02 at 18:52 (097486)

Some good suggestions but it generally takes orthotics more than 2 weeks to work. Give them some time and return to your doc for necessary adjustments.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/14/02 at 19:04 (097489)

I would go to Dr Wander. I love his complete and clear postings

Dr. David S. Wander on 10/14/02 at 23:11 (097504)

Dave, (Dr. Z)

Thanks for the praise, would you like me to make you an appointment????
P.S. I'll see you at the meeting on Wednesday.

Terri G. on 10/16/02 at 00:07 (097596)

Thanks for the suggestions. That has convinced me that I need to get a second opinion. I don't have confidence in this doc. So...now I need to find a good doctor. Any chance you might be in the LA area? Or know of a good doctor out here?

Thanks,

Terri G.