Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

help-plantar fasciitis surgery-post-op

Posted by Stacey W on 10/13/02 at 11:33 (097432)

Hello All
Could someone please give me some advice?
I had endoscopic plantar fas. surgery on both feet Sept. 13. The ligaments started tightening up on me about a week and a half ago. Did anyone else have this happen? Is it normal? Does it mean the surgery did not work?? Obviously there are some reasons why I am doubting if what my doc is now telling me is completely accurate.
Appreciate your time.
Stacey

Re: help-plantar fasciitis surgery-post-op

kay on 10/13/02 at 22:24 (097447)

let me guess........did he say that surgery was 90% effective?

sorry i couldn't resist.

does your doc have yo doing any p.t? stretching?

kay

Re: Lets stop the insanity, no more EPF's !!!

BrianG on 10/14/02 at 15:58 (097477)

I thought all doctors performing EPF had near perfect results with 99% of their procedures. You must be one of the very few failures his office has ever seen! I wish I had started a scrapbook for all these EPF failures, starting with mine. If someone had the right connections, and lots of energy, I think a class action suit would be in order. I hope your feeling better soon.

Regards
BrianG

kay on 10/14/02 at 23:24 (097507)

with endoscopic surgery the doc cannot see as well and may not be doing a suffiencent job.
as for the fascia being cut i don't think they should completely release it. a partial release would be safer in my opinion.
kay

Maggie L. on 10/15/02 at 12:34 (097543)

Stacey, I think sleeping with a night splint helps a lot, especially in the first few months post surgery. My pod had me sleep in one for about 2 and a half months. Also, absolutely: stretch, stretch, stretch, and stretch some more. Do it several times a day, at least. I find that to help greatly.

Re: A class action suit would certainly stop this flawed procedure!!!

BrianG on 10/15/02 at 22:45 (097589)

The amount of the fascia cut, seems to determine if the procedure will be a success, or failure. As you know, it is very hard, almost impossible for the doctor to 'see' how much of the fascia he is cutting, by using this small scope. As a kit is being used, I believe that the cut is predetermined by the kit. Cut too much, big problems. Cut too little, and you go through a lot of pain, but no healing will occur. This is what happened to me, and thousands of others like me. It sounds like what happened to you also, Kay. After talking with the makers of the most popular kit, I know for a fact that it has been changed, and this has probably happened more than once.

The doctor is responsible for making the original incision, once that is done, the kit is responsible for how much of the fascia is cut. In some cases (like mine) when not enough of the fascia was cut, the doctor had to go back in, and finish the job with a pair of scissors. Thats right, the kit was not cutting enough of the fascia, so the procedure had to be completed by an additional step. My big problem wiith this whole procedure, is that the doctors were not told about the additional manual cutting, to ensure enough of the fascia was cut. No additional cutting was done during my surgery. This is why I say a class action suit may be in order!! Somebody must have the energy for this.........

BrianG

elliott on 10/16/02 at 09:02 (097614)

What if ESWT is proved to be a dud or didn't work for an individual? Does your class-action suit go out the window since it may be the only option left?

What I would like to know is, is the oft-stated 90% PF surgical success figure accurate, at least if done by the authors claiming to achieve the 90%? Even with post-surgical complications, it may be less scandalous than you're making out; I mean, TTS release has a far lower success rate and you can get worse, but it still has merit.

[]

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/16/02 at 10:13 (097619)

Hi

This is very early on in the post-op healing with this procedure. I don't see how the plantar fascia could be healed and tighting up. From my experience you can get all kinds of strange pains, cramping, tighing feelings during the pf healing period which could be up to six months plus to stop.

Re: Anyone up for the challenge ???

BrianG on 10/16/02 at 18:37 (097668)

'Out the window', absolutely not! Surgery may still called for, it's the EPF method that I believe is flawed. It's not really my class action suit, I don't have the energy for amything like this! I'm just trying to spark some interest, so someone else will take the ball, and run wth it. How about you Elliott, are you busy these days?

BrianG

PS: The other surgical options might be the open, the Baxter, and the 'beneath the heel' incision, that DrZ used to use.

Re: no more plantar fascial releases -- period!

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/16/02 at 21:44 (097689)

Plantar fascial releases should be a very rare procedure irrespective of method, now that we can push the cure rate even higher with ESWT.
Ed

Lisa N. on 10/19/02 at 19:25 (097927)

Dr. Ed,

Would this statement apply to tarsal tunnel releases also -- can ESWT be a method for treating TTS then?

Thank you. Lisa N.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/21/02 at 21:59 (098053)

No. ESWT cannot be used for TTS. ESWT is not applied over any major nerves.
Unfortunately, there are not as many good conservative treatment modalities for TTS as there are for PF.
Ed

kay on 10/13/02 at 22:24 (097447)

let me guess........did he say that surgery was 90% effective?

sorry i couldn't resist.

does your doc have yo doing any p.t? stretching?

kay

BrianG on 10/14/02 at 15:58 (097477)

I thought all doctors performing EPF had near perfect results with 99% of their procedures. You must be one of the very few failures his office has ever seen! I wish I had started a scrapbook for all these EPF failures, starting with mine. If someone had the right connections, and lots of energy, I think a class action suit would be in order. I hope your feeling better soon.

Regards
BrianG

kay on 10/14/02 at 23:24 (097507)

with endoscopic surgery the doc cannot see as well and may not be doing a suffiencent job.
as for the fascia being cut i don't think they should completely release it. a partial release would be safer in my opinion.
kay

Maggie L. on 10/15/02 at 12:34 (097543)

Stacey, I think sleeping with a night splint helps a lot, especially in the first few months post surgery. My pod had me sleep in one for about 2 and a half months. Also, absolutely: stretch, stretch, stretch, and stretch some more. Do it several times a day, at least. I find that to help greatly.

BrianG on 10/15/02 at 22:45 (097589)

The amount of the fascia cut, seems to determine if the procedure will be a success, or failure. As you know, it is very hard, almost impossible for the doctor to 'see' how much of the fascia he is cutting, by using this small scope. As a kit is being used, I believe that the cut is predetermined by the kit. Cut too much, big problems. Cut too little, and you go through a lot of pain, but no healing will occur. This is what happened to me, and thousands of others like me. It sounds like what happened to you also, Kay. After talking with the makers of the most popular kit, I know for a fact that it has been changed, and this has probably happened more than once.

The doctor is responsible for making the original incision, once that is done, the kit is responsible for how much of the fascia is cut. In some cases (like mine) when not enough of the fascia was cut, the doctor had to go back in, and finish the job with a pair of scissors. Thats right, the kit was not cutting enough of the fascia, so the procedure had to be completed by an additional step. My big problem wiith this whole procedure, is that the doctors were not told about the additional manual cutting, to ensure enough of the fascia was cut. No additional cutting was done during my surgery. This is why I say a class action suit may be in order!! Somebody must have the energy for this.........

BrianG

elliott on 10/16/02 at 09:02 (097614)

What if ESWT is proved to be a dud or didn't work for an individual? Does your class-action suit go out the window since it may be the only option left?

What I would like to know is, is the oft-stated 90% PF surgical success figure accurate, at least if done by the authors claiming to achieve the 90%? Even with post-surgical complications, it may be less scandalous than you're making out; I mean, TTS release has a far lower success rate and you can get worse, but it still has merit.

[]

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/16/02 at 10:13 (097619)

Hi

This is very early on in the post-op healing with this procedure. I don't see how the plantar fascia could be healed and tighting up. From my experience you can get all kinds of strange pains, cramping, tighing feelings during the pf healing period which could be up to six months plus to stop.

Re: Anyone up for the challenge ???

BrianG on 10/16/02 at 18:37 (097668)

'Out the window', absolutely not! Surgery may still called for, it's the EPF method that I believe is flawed. It's not really my class action suit, I don't have the energy for amything like this! I'm just trying to spark some interest, so someone else will take the ball, and run wth it. How about you Elliott, are you busy these days?

BrianG

PS: The other surgical options might be the open, the Baxter, and the 'beneath the heel' incision, that DrZ used to use.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/16/02 at 21:44 (097689)

Plantar fascial releases should be a very rare procedure irrespective of method, now that we can push the cure rate even higher with ESWT.
Ed

Lisa N. on 10/19/02 at 19:25 (097927)

Dr. Ed,

Would this statement apply to tarsal tunnel releases also -- can ESWT be a method for treating TTS then?

Thank you. Lisa N.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/21/02 at 21:59 (098053)

No. ESWT cannot be used for TTS. ESWT is not applied over any major nerves.
Unfortunately, there are not as many good conservative treatment modalities for TTS as there are for PF.
Ed