Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

good days

Posted by carmen h on 10/13/02 at 15:23 (097435)

update..
Walked over 2 miles today on the farm, dirt road, gravel, mud, hills, grass etc. NO flare up.
When I do get a flare up at all it is only lasting about 1/2 the amount of time it used to as of about 1 month ago...pain level sits at a 1-3 during the flare up...after? very little if any at all discomfort.
I attribute this much improvement to the SDO's more than anything I have tried so far.

Re: good days

Carole C in NOLA on 10/13/02 at 16:16 (097437)

Those SDO's must feel pretty good! :)

I'm glad you are doing so well, too!

When you say you walked over 2 miles on the farm, do you mean that you have a farm? I didn't realize that. What do you grow?

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/14/02 at 07:17 (097456)

congratulations, carmen! it feels great to turn a big corner, doesn't it? i'm happy for you.

can you give a few details about how the sdo's feel? does your foot feel stable and held in place? i always had trouble with foot things with gel in them -- my feet can't take much shifting of weight. but these are probably different ... ?

thanks,
nancy

Necee on 10/14/02 at 08:07 (097459)

Thats great to hear Carmen!! Taking a long walk in the woods is not only great exercise, but good for the soul too!!!

Happy trails!!....

Necee

carmen h on 10/14/02 at 08:39 (097460)

My husbands mom and uncle own about 900 acres in KY. a 15-20 min. drive from our house and they lease it to the local farmers for tobacco, corn and soybean growth.
There is an old house falling down out there that has lots of grassland & hills and we take our dog Lacey out and let her run like a maniac....we just follow her so we don't lose her.
She ran for over an hour yesterday and then we walked all the way to the house down by the road...long haul.
fun fun fun though!
Some day we will own a few hundred acres there.

carmen h on 10/14/02 at 08:42 (097461)

I feel very stable in the sdos. They fill right under my arch when I step and I can feel the gel move with my steps but it's a 'solid' movement...no shifting and moving. The script is right so that's probably why they feel right.
I am not kidding, they are so comfortable. When I got these I decided I was going to wear them, stick to it and just see....
Well I only had about a two week period of adjustment and the musvles in my feet that hadn't worked in so long (due to crappy orthotics) were tired but working....a couple flare ups later on from the sdos but now as I mentioned..they feel great and the flare ups last half as long.
I think the main thing people do is to give up TOO soon on one thing....I am guilty of that. This time I stuck it out and it seems to be working for me.
Thanks for asking...:o)

Carole C in NOLA on 10/14/02 at 08:58 (097464)

That does sound like fun! I'll bet Lacey loved it. I'm so glad that your feet were up to it. :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/14/02 at 17:50 (097480)

thanks, carmen -- and one last question, and then i won't bug you anymore but check them out more fully myself if i think they might work for me! question: what kind of shoes do you wear them in? are they quite thin, so that you can wear shoes in your regular size? (i'm thinking new balance or brooks athletic shoes.)
thanks again!
nancy

Suzanne D on 10/14/02 at 21:17 (097500)

This is such good news, Carmen! I am very happy that your SDO's are working so well and that you are having continued improvement.

Walking over a farm with your dog running free sounds relaxing indeed!

Suzanne :-)

carmen h on 10/15/02 at 08:30 (097516)

You could never bug me Nancy!
yes they are VERY thin...they fit in any shoe really.....as long as the insole doesn't already have a defined arch. I don't wear them in my Danksos....but I got a pir of brown dress shoes the other day (1' heel) and they fit in there nicely. I wear them with all tennis shoes (New balance styles)....they are gel insoles inserted into a neoprene covering. I use double sided velcro to secure them into my shoes.
Works like a charm.
Honestly I was skeptical b/c I have been through 4 pairs of orthotics (not to mention my $$ hubby rolling his eyes at another pair) but I stuck it out through the break in, did my stretches and can't go wihtout them now. You have my email too so feel free to send me more questions if you have any.
I recommend asking Dr. Kiper to call you...he is wonderful

Re: Please ignore the above post Website problems

Dave R on 10/15/02 at 12:23 (097542)

Please ignore the above post Website problems...it's someone else's post from another message board.

nancy s. on 10/15/02 at 15:54 (097555)

thank you very much, carmen! i'm very tempted to try the sdo's. birks are the best for me a lot of the time, but certain times, especially when working, i'd love to be able to wear athletic shoes. i can wear them to go for a walk, but as soon as i stop, they kill me. i've had no luck with two pairs of expensive custom orthotics. so i think i'll go check out dr kiper's site. i'll email you if i have any more questions -- thanks again.
nancy

carmen h on 10/15/02 at 19:01 (097567)

let me know what you decide to do....:o)

Re: Necee/Suzanne

Brenda B. on 10/16/02 at 16:57 (097658)

I have been diagnosed with nuroma on the bottom of my right foot. I am wondering if either heat or ice would help to eleviate the pain and swelling of the area.

Re: To: Brenda B.

Necee on 10/16/02 at 23:11 (097702)

Hi Brenda, I'm not familiar with nuroma, but I can tell you that in the case of PF, ice is a very good thing. Ice does help reduce inflammation, and by doing so it also relieves the pain. So I would think that it would be benificial to you.
Hopefully others familiar with your condition will answer your question.
All the best.

Happy trials.....

Necee

Necee on 10/16/02 at 23:13 (097703)

Oops, I meant to say Happy trails, not trials!

Necee

nancy s. on 10/17/02 at 07:12 (097709)

no need to correct yourself, necee. if we could have happier 'trials,' we might all survive our foot problems better.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/13/02 at 16:16 (097437)

Those SDO's must feel pretty good! :)

I'm glad you are doing so well, too!

When you say you walked over 2 miles on the farm, do you mean that you have a farm? I didn't realize that. What do you grow?

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/14/02 at 07:17 (097456)

congratulations, carmen! it feels great to turn a big corner, doesn't it? i'm happy for you.

can you give a few details about how the sdo's feel? does your foot feel stable and held in place? i always had trouble with foot things with gel in them -- my feet can't take much shifting of weight. but these are probably different ... ?

thanks,
nancy

Necee on 10/14/02 at 08:07 (097459)

Thats great to hear Carmen!! Taking a long walk in the woods is not only great exercise, but good for the soul too!!!

Happy trails!!....

Necee

carmen h on 10/14/02 at 08:39 (097460)

My husbands mom and uncle own about 900 acres in KY. a 15-20 min. drive from our house and they lease it to the local farmers for tobacco, corn and soybean growth.
There is an old house falling down out there that has lots of grassland & hills and we take our dog Lacey out and let her run like a maniac....we just follow her so we don't lose her.
She ran for over an hour yesterday and then we walked all the way to the house down by the road...long haul.
fun fun fun though!
Some day we will own a few hundred acres there.

carmen h on 10/14/02 at 08:42 (097461)

I feel very stable in the sdos. They fill right under my arch when I step and I can feel the gel move with my steps but it's a 'solid' movement...no shifting and moving. The script is right so that's probably why they feel right.
I am not kidding, they are so comfortable. When I got these I decided I was going to wear them, stick to it and just see....
Well I only had about a two week period of adjustment and the musvles in my feet that hadn't worked in so long (due to crappy orthotics) were tired but working....a couple flare ups later on from the sdos but now as I mentioned..they feel great and the flare ups last half as long.
I think the main thing people do is to give up TOO soon on one thing....I am guilty of that. This time I stuck it out and it seems to be working for me.
Thanks for asking...:o)

Carole C in NOLA on 10/14/02 at 08:58 (097464)

That does sound like fun! I'll bet Lacey loved it. I'm so glad that your feet were up to it. :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/14/02 at 17:50 (097480)

thanks, carmen -- and one last question, and then i won't bug you anymore but check them out more fully myself if i think they might work for me! question: what kind of shoes do you wear them in? are they quite thin, so that you can wear shoes in your regular size? (i'm thinking new balance or brooks athletic shoes.)
thanks again!
nancy

Suzanne D on 10/14/02 at 21:17 (097500)

This is such good news, Carmen! I am very happy that your SDO's are working so well and that you are having continued improvement.

Walking over a farm with your dog running free sounds relaxing indeed!

Suzanne :-)

carmen h on 10/15/02 at 08:30 (097516)

You could never bug me Nancy!
yes they are VERY thin...they fit in any shoe really.....as long as the insole doesn't already have a defined arch. I don't wear them in my Danksos....but I got a pir of brown dress shoes the other day (1' heel) and they fit in there nicely. I wear them with all tennis shoes (New balance styles)....they are gel insoles inserted into a neoprene covering. I use double sided velcro to secure them into my shoes.
Works like a charm.
Honestly I was skeptical b/c I have been through 4 pairs of orthotics (not to mention my $$ hubby rolling his eyes at another pair) but I stuck it out through the break in, did my stretches and can't go wihtout them now. You have my email too so feel free to send me more questions if you have any.
I recommend asking Dr. Kiper to call you...he is wonderful

Re: Please ignore the above post Website problems

Dave R on 10/15/02 at 12:23 (097542)

Please ignore the above post Website problems...it's someone else's post from another message board.

nancy s. on 10/15/02 at 15:54 (097555)

thank you very much, carmen! i'm very tempted to try the sdo's. birks are the best for me a lot of the time, but certain times, especially when working, i'd love to be able to wear athletic shoes. i can wear them to go for a walk, but as soon as i stop, they kill me. i've had no luck with two pairs of expensive custom orthotics. so i think i'll go check out dr kiper's site. i'll email you if i have any more questions -- thanks again.
nancy

carmen h on 10/15/02 at 19:01 (097567)

let me know what you decide to do....:o)

Re: Necee/Suzanne

Brenda B. on 10/16/02 at 16:57 (097658)

I have been diagnosed with nuroma on the bottom of my right foot. I am wondering if either heat or ice would help to eleviate the pain and swelling of the area.

Necee on 10/16/02 at 23:11 (097702)

Hi Brenda, I'm not familiar with nuroma, but I can tell you that in the case of PF, ice is a very good thing. Ice does help reduce inflammation, and by doing so it also relieves the pain. So I would think that it would be benificial to you.
Hopefully others familiar with your condition will answer your question.
All the best.

Happy trials.....

Necee

Necee on 10/16/02 at 23:13 (097703)

Oops, I meant to say Happy trails, not trials!

Necee

nancy s. on 10/17/02 at 07:12 (097709)

no need to correct yourself, necee. if we could have happier 'trials,' we might all survive our foot problems better.
nancy