Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

walking properly

Posted by charlotte on 10/13/02 at 20:44 (097444)

Ever since I got PF (about 5-6 months ago) I've been walking with a limp, and I remember reading an entry a while ago that talked about 'walking properly'. I've been trying to do this but I'm not sure how. Can someone please explain to me how to 'walk properly'? Thanks!

Re: walking properly

LaDonna S. on 10/14/02 at 15:32 (097473)

I suggest you go to a physical therapist. She showed me how my walking was creating my condition to get worse. You really need to look at your feet in a morrow and see how you stand. My left foot rponated in and my arch literally looks collapsed. I do exercies to try and strengthen my feet. Also you need to pay attention how your feet hit the ground. It is complicated but expert advice from a physcial therapist has helped to pay attention to how I walk correctly verus incorrectly. Good luck!!!!!!!

Julie on 10/15/02 at 02:00 (097510)

Good advice to consult a physical therapist for general advice on walking properly, Charlotte. But if your pain is such that you're limping, it's almost impossible to 'walk properly', so don't go on a guilt trip about it.

I would suggest that for now you cut down on walking as much as possible. If you're walking with a limp to avoid the pain in your PF foot, you may in time get knock-on problems in your knees, hips and/or lower back: all these structures are connected.

When my PF was at its worst, I cut back on all non-essential, ie recreational walking (I spent lots of money on taxis!) When I had to walk, I found that walking slowly, and placing my feet very carefully on the ground, diminished my tendency to limp. You could try that - but the best thing really is to walk less.

What is being done to treat your PF? Have you been correctly diagnosed by a podiatrist, and are you being helped?

pala on 10/15/02 at 10:30 (097534)

can you tell us what those exercises are?

LaDonna S. on 10/14/02 at 15:32 (097473)

I suggest you go to a physical therapist. She showed me how my walking was creating my condition to get worse. You really need to look at your feet in a morrow and see how you stand. My left foot rponated in and my arch literally looks collapsed. I do exercies to try and strengthen my feet. Also you need to pay attention how your feet hit the ground. It is complicated but expert advice from a physcial therapist has helped to pay attention to how I walk correctly verus incorrectly. Good luck!!!!!!!

Julie on 10/15/02 at 02:00 (097510)

Good advice to consult a physical therapist for general advice on walking properly, Charlotte. But if your pain is such that you're limping, it's almost impossible to 'walk properly', so don't go on a guilt trip about it.

I would suggest that for now you cut down on walking as much as possible. If you're walking with a limp to avoid the pain in your PF foot, you may in time get knock-on problems in your knees, hips and/or lower back: all these structures are connected.

When my PF was at its worst, I cut back on all non-essential, ie recreational walking (I spent lots of money on taxis!) When I had to walk, I found that walking slowly, and placing my feet very carefully on the ground, diminished my tendency to limp. You could try that - but the best thing really is to walk less.

What is being done to treat your PF? Have you been correctly diagnosed by a podiatrist, and are you being helped?

pala on 10/15/02 at 10:30 (097534)

can you tell us what those exercises are?