Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

link to great site I found re; myofascial pain

Posted by Ellen J. on 10/13/02 at 22:53 (097448)

Hi all.
As usual I was browsing the net in order to read more about myofascial pain and this site has an incredible wealth of information. For those who have undiagnosed pain, you might want to read through this site to see if it's of interest. I'll do my best to type in the link here, and I hope it works once I type it. If not, I suppose you can use a search engine and type in:
A podiatrist's guide to trigger points and myofascial pain syndrome. http://www.latrobe.edu.au/podiatry/myofasc/cover.html
See what you think...
Ellen J.

Re: Ellen

carmen h on 10/14/02 at 08:44 (097462)

That's the same link I posted a few months ago with just as much enthusiasm....which was met with some skepticism by some people here (some were more open some were not). BUT if it works for you I encourage you to continue following the TP concept. It certainly helped me quite a bit in more ways than one.

Re: the link

Ellen J. on 10/14/02 at 08:53 (097463)

Hi Carmen,
Can you tell me if you had trigger point therapy? How did it help you?
I'm going for my first session this morning and am scared that it might make my feet worse, even though he's not touching my feet. Each time he presses my calf, my foot hurts. I am trying this because nothing else has worked and after 3 yrs I would really like to get over this P.F.
Sorry I missed the link when you posted it earlier. I get so busy during summer (if that's when you posted it) that I don't read the posts that often. I wish I had seen it at the time you posted it.
The trick is to try and find a therapy that helps rather than hurts and it sure is difficult with P.F. I hope this therapy works but am not holding my breath. Let me know how it went for you if you get a chance.
Ellen J.

carmen h on 10/14/02 at 18:21 (097481)

Sometimes things have to hurt to get better when it comes to treatment. These orthotics I am in hurt for a short period of time....but now I wear them with no trouble at all.
All other orthotics hurt and NEVER got better....
So it's trial and error.
The TP treatment helped a nervy feeling I had near my toe, released my tight calves, helped my glutes and sciatic sensations...everything felt better after tp release.
Also releived some of the burning in my feet.

How did your first visit go?

Re: trigger point therapy

Ellen J. on 10/14/02 at 20:51 (097496)

Hi Carmen,
Thanks for asking about the appt. It seemed to go very well and the doctor is very cautious about doing something that might injure my feet. Therefore he's starting with manipulations of the muscles and stretching and then will move into trigger point therapy. The main problem I have now is that I have a pain that shoots down the ankle bone and into the medial side of the heel. I didn't have that problem before today, so am thinking that all the manipulations and stretching must have created a bit of inflammation. I've never had pain going down the ankle before--only had it in the arch. I took Advil and am icing.
So far I really like the doctor and I look forward to having the trigger point done. I was actually disappointed that he wasn't going to do that today, but I trust his judgement.
How long did it take for the TP therapy to help your foot pain? Did the trigger points coincide with the sore spots in your foot according to the charts on the web site?
Ellen J.

pala on 10/15/02 at 10:17 (097533)

ellen sometimes i feel like contributing here is unheard, resisted, ignored or attacked. but if anything shared plants a seed then sooner or later it does spread and sink in if there is anything to it. we would be wise to all stay open here. this board is a giant think tank. all ideas are welcome.

Re: hi Pala

Ellen J. on 10/15/02 at 15:37 (097552)

Hi Pala,
Yes, I agree that all ideas are welcome. You never know what might end up working for someone. I didn't know anything about trigger point therapy until someone mentioned it on this site--had never even heard of it. Now, as I speak to doctors and others, many seem to be using it as a standard form of therapy. I have a friend who has fibromyalgia and when I mentioned it to her, she said she uses trigger pt. therapy all the time and it works. She also made a new discovery (via her doctor) that has eliminated most of her fibromyalgia pain. She is using some kind of new antidepressant that serves to remove the pain in addition to it's antidepressant effects. She said they have begun using this drug for fibromyalgia.
Thanks for your comments. It's very interesting to hear everyone's thoughts.
Ellen

Barbara S on 10/16/02 at 18:06 (097666)

Ellen Could you found out what the medication is called. I have fibromyalgia also and would be interested in trying this. Thanks Barbara S.

Re: Barbara's note

Ellen J. on 10/16/02 at 21:02 (097679)

Hi Barbara,
I'll contact the person and find out ASAP and get back to you, hopefully by tomorrow.
Ellen

Barbara S on 10/16/02 at 21:40 (097687)

Ellen, Thanks will be watching for your Post. Barbara S.

Re: fibromyalgia drug

Ellen J. on 10/17/02 at 10:48 (097732)

Hi Barbara,
Apparently the drug is not new, as I thought--however, the use of it for fibromyalgia is new. The drug is called Effexor and one of the side effects is that it relieves severe muscle spasms. A study was done by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals on the effects of Effexor on fibromyalgia but my friend did not have anything but a hard copy of the study. I figure that you might be able to go to the Wyeth Pharm web site, do a search and look up the study if they post such studies online.
I figure that you might already be familiar with Effexor but just in case you are not, this friend of mine says it's an antidepressant.
The drug's real name is venlafaxine HCL, I think. My friend says that her muscle pain has been greatly reduced by this drug.
Hope this is of some use to you,
Ellen J.

Barbara S on 10/17/02 at 13:17 (097749)

Ellen, Thanks for the info. No I haven't heard or tried this. I will have to check with my PCP Thanks again. Barbara S.

carmen h on 10/14/02 at 08:44 (097462)

That's the same link I posted a few months ago with just as much enthusiasm....which was met with some skepticism by some people here (some were more open some were not). BUT if it works for you I encourage you to continue following the TP concept. It certainly helped me quite a bit in more ways than one.

Ellen J. on 10/14/02 at 08:53 (097463)

Hi Carmen,
Can you tell me if you had trigger point therapy? How did it help you?
I'm going for my first session this morning and am scared that it might make my feet worse, even though he's not touching my feet. Each time he presses my calf, my foot hurts. I am trying this because nothing else has worked and after 3 yrs I would really like to get over this P.F.
Sorry I missed the link when you posted it earlier. I get so busy during summer (if that's when you posted it) that I don't read the posts that often. I wish I had seen it at the time you posted it.
The trick is to try and find a therapy that helps rather than hurts and it sure is difficult with P.F. I hope this therapy works but am not holding my breath. Let me know how it went for you if you get a chance.
Ellen J.

carmen h on 10/14/02 at 18:21 (097481)

Sometimes things have to hurt to get better when it comes to treatment. These orthotics I am in hurt for a short period of time....but now I wear them with no trouble at all.
All other orthotics hurt and NEVER got better....
So it's trial and error.
The TP treatment helped a nervy feeling I had near my toe, released my tight calves, helped my glutes and sciatic sensations...everything felt better after tp release.
Also releived some of the burning in my feet.

How did your first visit go?

Re: trigger point therapy

Ellen J. on 10/14/02 at 20:51 (097496)

Hi Carmen,
Thanks for asking about the appt. It seemed to go very well and the doctor is very cautious about doing something that might injure my feet. Therefore he's starting with manipulations of the muscles and stretching and then will move into trigger point therapy. The main problem I have now is that I have a pain that shoots down the ankle bone and into the medial side of the heel. I didn't have that problem before today, so am thinking that all the manipulations and stretching must have created a bit of inflammation. I've never had pain going down the ankle before--only had it in the arch. I took Advil and am icing.
So far I really like the doctor and I look forward to having the trigger point done. I was actually disappointed that he wasn't going to do that today, but I trust his judgement.
How long did it take for the TP therapy to help your foot pain? Did the trigger points coincide with the sore spots in your foot according to the charts on the web site?
Ellen J.

pala on 10/15/02 at 10:17 (097533)

ellen sometimes i feel like contributing here is unheard, resisted, ignored or attacked. but if anything shared plants a seed then sooner or later it does spread and sink in if there is anything to it. we would be wise to all stay open here. this board is a giant think tank. all ideas are welcome.

Ellen J. on 10/15/02 at 15:37 (097552)

Hi Pala,
Yes, I agree that all ideas are welcome. You never know what might end up working for someone. I didn't know anything about trigger point therapy until someone mentioned it on this site--had never even heard of it. Now, as I speak to doctors and others, many seem to be using it as a standard form of therapy. I have a friend who has fibromyalgia and when I mentioned it to her, she said she uses trigger pt. therapy all the time and it works. She also made a new discovery (via her doctor) that has eliminated most of her fibromyalgia pain. She is using some kind of new antidepressant that serves to remove the pain in addition to it's antidepressant effects. She said they have begun using this drug for fibromyalgia.
Thanks for your comments. It's very interesting to hear everyone's thoughts.
Ellen

Barbara S on 10/16/02 at 18:06 (097666)

Ellen Could you found out what the medication is called. I have fibromyalgia also and would be interested in trying this. Thanks Barbara S.

Ellen J. on 10/16/02 at 21:02 (097679)

Hi Barbara,
I'll contact the person and find out ASAP and get back to you, hopefully by tomorrow.
Ellen

Barbara S on 10/16/02 at 21:40 (097687)

Ellen, Thanks will be watching for your Post. Barbara S.

Ellen J. on 10/17/02 at 10:48 (097732)

Hi Barbara,
Apparently the drug is not new, as I thought--however, the use of it for fibromyalgia is new. The drug is called Effexor and one of the side effects is that it relieves severe muscle spasms. A study was done by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals on the effects of Effexor on fibromyalgia but my friend did not have anything but a hard copy of the study. I figure that you might be able to go to the Wyeth Pharm web site, do a search and look up the study if they post such studies online.
I figure that you might already be familiar with Effexor but just in case you are not, this friend of mine says it's an antidepressant.
The drug's real name is venlafaxine HCL, I think. My friend says that her muscle pain has been greatly reduced by this drug.
Hope this is of some use to you,
Ellen J.

Barbara S on 10/17/02 at 13:17 (097749)

Ellen, Thanks for the info. No I haven't heard or tried this. I will have to check with my PCP Thanks again. Barbara S.