Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

possible plantar fascitis during pregnancy

Posted by jessica frattalone on 10/14/02 at 10:16 (097468)

To confuse the topic further: i'm a pregant runner but i'm now only fast walking every a.m. (as I'm in my last trimester)and work on my feet all day. I have been experiencing now and then heel pain sometimes sharp i the heel. I did buy a pair of Dansk clogs that seem to help. Please tell me what you recommend at this point since the problem appears to be pregnancy induced. Can massage help? Please provide any possible diagnoses and treatment suggestions as well as any other info. Thanks so much I appreciate it.

Re: possible plantar fascitis during pregnancy

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/14/02 at 18:48 (097485)

Two things happen in pregancy, especially the third trimester, that make development of plantar fasciitis more likely. Additional weight. The hormone relaxin is secreted to allow the ligaments in the pelvis to spread sufficiently to create a birth canal of sufficient size. This hormone also softens the ligaments which support the feet allowing more tension to be transferred to the plantar fascia.

Additional support is often needed. Use of a motion control running shoe such as the Brooks Ariel or New Balance 1121 coupled with an OTC orthotic such as Superfeet ( http://www.superfeet.com ) is a start.
Ed

Re: possible plantar fascitis during pregnancy

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/14/02 at 18:48 (097485)

Two things happen in pregancy, especially the third trimester, that make development of plantar fasciitis more likely. Additional weight. The hormone relaxin is secreted to allow the ligaments in the pelvis to spread sufficiently to create a birth canal of sufficient size. This hormone also softens the ligaments which support the feet allowing more tension to be transferred to the plantar fascia.

Additional support is often needed. Use of a motion control running shoe such as the Brooks Ariel or New Balance 1121 coupled with an OTC orthotic such as Superfeet ( http://www.superfeet.com ) is a start.
Ed