Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Accessory navicular surgery

Posted by Ann on 10/15/02 at 12:39 (097544)

I had surgery to remove an accessory Navicular bone and repair a torn Post Tib tendon in June. I was in a a non weight bearing cast for 6 weeks then a removable walking cast for 2 more. My question is , how much pain and swelling is normal at this point in the game? I hurt all the time and cannot even touch the spot where the navicular is. It is a stabbing sort of pain that comes very quickly and feels as if my skin is stuck to the bone. Please help! Any advice you have will be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Accessory navicular surgery

Dr. David S. Wander on 10/15/02 at 20:19 (097574)

Let your doctor know about your concerns. There can be some scar tissue causing a feeling of the skin being 'stuck' to the bone. There can also be some injury or entrapment of the nerve in the area. Let your surgeon know about your concerns, to allow he/she to initiate a way to resolve your problems.

Ann on 10/15/02 at 23:29 (097591)

Thanks, I do have an appointment in a few weeks, can you tell me what my options are if it is scar tissue or nerve injury?

Dr. David S. Wander on 10/16/02 at 13:59 (097645)

IF it is scar tissue or a nerve entrapment, treatments can include physical therapy/ultrasound, deep massage, injections, topical medications, etc. First speak with your surgeon to get his/her opinion since he/she will have the foot to examine, not me!

Dr. David S. Wander on 10/15/02 at 20:19 (097574)

Let your doctor know about your concerns. There can be some scar tissue causing a feeling of the skin being 'stuck' to the bone. There can also be some injury or entrapment of the nerve in the area. Let your surgeon know about your concerns, to allow he/she to initiate a way to resolve your problems.

Ann on 10/15/02 at 23:29 (097591)

Thanks, I do have an appointment in a few weeks, can you tell me what my options are if it is scar tissue or nerve injury?

Dr. David S. Wander on 10/16/02 at 13:59 (097645)

IF it is scar tissue or a nerve entrapment, treatments can include physical therapy/ultrasound, deep massage, injections, topical medications, etc. First speak with your surgeon to get his/her opinion since he/she will have the foot to examine, not me!