Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

update on Superfeet inserts

Posted by Suzanne D on 10/16/02 at 17:40 (097662)

For those who might be interested in one person's experience and opinion of the Superfeet inserts which have been mentioned by some of the doctors and CPeds on this site, I post this...

I have had PF for a year and 4 months, with gradual healing and progress, due to the NSAID Naproxin, wearing Birkenstocks and Birk inserts in SAS shoes, stretching, taping, icing (...although I never could 'feel' that icing make a real difference; I did it because the evidence was overwhelming that it was helpful. To me, soaking in warm baths made me 'feel' better, but I suppose it did nothing for the inflammation!).

I posed a question here a month ago to ask what might be a better insert as I felt my progress has been good but was at something of a standstill. That, combined with our school closing (I'm a first grade teacher.) and our moving to a new building in January with concrete and tile floors, prompted my seeking something new.

Superfeet inserts were recommended, and I checked out their website which had a store locater. I found a place about an hour away from my home and bought the green inserts two weeks ago when we started our fall break. I broke them in during our two weeks off and now have successfully worn them all day these three days we have been back to school. I am wearing them in my SAS walking shoes and also in my Birk Anapolis shoes (Mary Jane style, closed toes, strap across the top). In those, I took out the footbed, replacing it with the Superfeet insert.

I feel that my feet are less tired at the end of the day and that they are less stiff when I get up after a period of sitting. So I am pleased at this time and wanted to pass along this information to others.

Suzanne :-)

Re: update on Superfeet inserts

pala on 10/16/02 at 21:29 (097683)

thanks for sharing this. i think i better try them. it's a cheap enough item and it seem to help some folks here.

Suzanne D on 10/16/02 at 21:35 (097685)

Yes, that's what I thought, Pala. At $30, I thought they were worth a try, especially since they were recommended by Dr. Ed and BGCPed.

My feet were a little sore for a few days, but I adjusted rather quickly to them.

Good luck!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/16/02 at 21:38 (097686)

Suzanne, this is good news! It sounds like they are helping. :)

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/16/02 at 21:50 (097692)

Another good thing about Superfeet inserts is their ease of modifiability.
I routinely provide my patients with modified Superfeet to use while awaiting construction of their custom orthotics.
Ed

Suzanne D on 10/16/02 at 22:02 (097695)

Thanks, Carole! I am hopeful...

Suzanne D on 10/16/02 at 22:08 (097696)

My Anapolis Birks with the closed toes and strap across the top of the foot are the narrow size, but they have always been a little too deep for my long but thin foot. When taking out the footbed and placing the Superfeet insoles inside, my feet still felt too loose when I walked. So I put the SAS removable footbed inside the shoe first (It's rather thin), and then I place the Superfeet insoles on top of that. That combination seems to work well. It really is a hybrid, isn't it? SAS and Superfeet inside Birk shoes! Makes me think of the Wuzzles cartoon my daughter used to watch in which all the animals were mixed up...Oh, well, that is showing my age!

Thanks for your recommendations and help to us on this site.

Kathy G on 10/17/02 at 09:05 (097725)

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for the feedback. While my orthotics were being re-vamped recently, the doctor recommended I use Spenco runner's inner soles. They were absolutely horrible for my feet and I returned them. I really suffered for the thirteen days it took to get my orthotics back. I should have checked this site and tried the Superfeet. I just love the name of them. My ambition in life is to have my feet feel so good that one day I can do a little tap dance because I have such Super Feet!!

Necee on 10/17/02 at 11:20 (097737)

Thanks for the update Suzanne, I'm so glad that you found a 'happy medium' where your feet are concerned, and who cares how you do it....just so long as it works.
You mentioned that your feet were stiff after long periods of sitting, I have noticed that too, after I sat in the car for a ride or what ever it usually takes a good 5 minutes to get my feet, ankles, lower back and legs going again. I'm so stiff I can barely move....but....when I get limbered up I'm ok. I have to wonder if it's not my Birks causing this problem, they do seem to be rather hard. I have also noticed that since I got PF, my calves are really tight, I try to rub them before getting out of bed in the mornings, which does help, but once I sit I'm tight and sore again.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Suzanne D on 10/17/02 at 12:28 (097747)

I agree, Kathy! To have Super Feet would be so wonderful! :-) My daughter takes tap and ballet, and it just amazes me to watch her and the others dance. And when I look at her toe shoes, I can't help but cringe inside and wonder if someday she might have foot problems because of wearing them.

I tried Spenco inserts (maybe not the type you had) once, and they felt horrible to me! They felt like standing on two bumps. I didn't wear them more than once.

If you get a chance to try Superfeet sometime, it might be good in case you are stuck without orthotics again. At first, the arch support felt too far back on my foot compared to my Birks and Birk inserts, but now they feel 'right'. At the end of the first week of wearing them for short periods, I went to a hayride/weiner roast. I wore my Birk inserts in my SAS shoes and ended up with 'charley-horse' cramps in both feet. I didn't wear them again. I alternated between the Superfeet and my Arizonas until I could wear the Superfeet all day.

Suzanne D on 10/17/02 at 12:31 (097748)

I know just what you mean, Necee! My calves do not seem to be as tight as they once were - that seemed to gradually get better with stretching - but my feet are always so stiff when I get out of the van or get up from sitting.

I do see some improvement in this with the Superfeet and hope it continues! Besides your Birks, do you wear any kind of insert in other shoes?

Take care,

Re: Yea!!!

carmen h on 10/17/02 at 18:19 (097770)

Good for you Suzanne..I am glad to hear there's some progress.
:o)
YOU deserve it.

Suzanne D on 10/19/02 at 14:45 (097909)

Thanks, Carmen! I'm glad to hear how much progress you're making, too!

pala on 10/16/02 at 21:29 (097683)

thanks for sharing this. i think i better try them. it's a cheap enough item and it seem to help some folks here.

Suzanne D on 10/16/02 at 21:35 (097685)

Yes, that's what I thought, Pala. At $30, I thought they were worth a try, especially since they were recommended by Dr. Ed and BGCPed.

My feet were a little sore for a few days, but I adjusted rather quickly to them.

Good luck!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/16/02 at 21:38 (097686)

Suzanne, this is good news! It sounds like they are helping. :)

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/16/02 at 21:50 (097692)

Another good thing about Superfeet inserts is their ease of modifiability.
I routinely provide my patients with modified Superfeet to use while awaiting construction of their custom orthotics.
Ed

Suzanne D on 10/16/02 at 22:02 (097695)

Thanks, Carole! I am hopeful...

Suzanne D on 10/16/02 at 22:08 (097696)

My Anapolis Birks with the closed toes and strap across the top of the foot are the narrow size, but they have always been a little too deep for my long but thin foot. When taking out the footbed and placing the Superfeet insoles inside, my feet still felt too loose when I walked. So I put the SAS removable footbed inside the shoe first (It's rather thin), and then I place the Superfeet insoles on top of that. That combination seems to work well. It really is a hybrid, isn't it? SAS and Superfeet inside Birk shoes! Makes me think of the Wuzzles cartoon my daughter used to watch in which all the animals were mixed up...Oh, well, that is showing my age!

Thanks for your recommendations and help to us on this site.

Kathy G on 10/17/02 at 09:05 (097725)

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for the feedback. While my orthotics were being re-vamped recently, the doctor recommended I use Spenco runner's inner soles. They were absolutely horrible for my feet and I returned them. I really suffered for the thirteen days it took to get my orthotics back. I should have checked this site and tried the Superfeet. I just love the name of them. My ambition in life is to have my feet feel so good that one day I can do a little tap dance because I have such Super Feet!!

Necee on 10/17/02 at 11:20 (097737)

Thanks for the update Suzanne, I'm so glad that you found a 'happy medium' where your feet are concerned, and who cares how you do it....just so long as it works.
You mentioned that your feet were stiff after long periods of sitting, I have noticed that too, after I sat in the car for a ride or what ever it usually takes a good 5 minutes to get my feet, ankles, lower back and legs going again. I'm so stiff I can barely move....but....when I get limbered up I'm ok. I have to wonder if it's not my Birks causing this problem, they do seem to be rather hard. I have also noticed that since I got PF, my calves are really tight, I try to rub them before getting out of bed in the mornings, which does help, but once I sit I'm tight and sore again.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Suzanne D on 10/17/02 at 12:28 (097747)

I agree, Kathy! To have Super Feet would be so wonderful! :-) My daughter takes tap and ballet, and it just amazes me to watch her and the others dance. And when I look at her toe shoes, I can't help but cringe inside and wonder if someday she might have foot problems because of wearing them.

I tried Spenco inserts (maybe not the type you had) once, and they felt horrible to me! They felt like standing on two bumps. I didn't wear them more than once.

If you get a chance to try Superfeet sometime, it might be good in case you are stuck without orthotics again. At first, the arch support felt too far back on my foot compared to my Birks and Birk inserts, but now they feel 'right'. At the end of the first week of wearing them for short periods, I went to a hayride/weiner roast. I wore my Birk inserts in my SAS shoes and ended up with 'charley-horse' cramps in both feet. I didn't wear them again. I alternated between the Superfeet and my Arizonas until I could wear the Superfeet all day.

Suzanne D on 10/17/02 at 12:31 (097748)

I know just what you mean, Necee! My calves do not seem to be as tight as they once were - that seemed to gradually get better with stretching - but my feet are always so stiff when I get out of the van or get up from sitting.

I do see some improvement in this with the Superfeet and hope it continues! Besides your Birks, do you wear any kind of insert in other shoes?

Take care,

carmen h on 10/17/02 at 18:19 (097770)

Good for you Suzanne..I am glad to hear there's some progress.
:o)
YOU deserve it.

Suzanne D on 10/19/02 at 14:45 (097909)

Thanks, Carmen! I'm glad to hear how much progress you're making, too!