Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Achilles Tendonitis(?)

Posted by Peg on 10/17/02 at 11:16 (097736)

Hi,

I have noticed that every time I walk down stairs I continuously get a popping sound in the back. Even if I flex my foot to exercise this area; is this considered Achilles Tendonitis? Or is something else going on. I have gotten some discomfort but not pain. I am concerned about this and wonder what can be done and/or what is best; heat or cold compress.

Re: Achilles Tendonitis(?)

Kathy G on 10/19/02 at 09:48 (097877)

Peg,

My Achilles Tendonitis was an actual pain in my tendon and a tightness. I never noticed any popping. I would check with a doctor, if I were you, just to get a definitive diagnosis. In my case, the tilt board and Julie's stretches helped me. I never put any ice on the area, nor did I use heat. I would think heat would help because it would help to ease the tightness but I would really be guessing. I'd check with a doctor before doing anything except maybe gentle stretching.

Good luck!

pala on 10/19/02 at 10:41 (097885)

what is a tilt board?

Kathy G on 10/19/02 at 12:20 (097891)

Hi Pala,

It's mentioned in the Heel Pain Book in the section on stretching. You can make one yourself using a board and some bricks or you can make one out of wood, which is what my husband did for me. Scott has a very good description and even drawings to demonstrate how it's used. I could never do as good a job, so just go there and you'll find it. For me, it has been a lifesafer. The wall stretches, which is what Physical Therapy recommended, I found to be very hard on my knees, which have never caused me and problem. Then, when I found this site, I discovered how many people had had poor results with them.

Peg on 10/21/02 at 10:36 (098026)

Thanks Kathy. Now I wonder because I don't have pain or tightness, just a cracking sound when I flex my foot -- and walk down stairs. But I remember always having that cracking sound -- before my foot problem. But no pain when I walk. Sometimes a bit of an ache in my calf if I flex too much and it continues to crack. It's strange. I'm tired of feet problems. My neuroma/metatarsalgia is doing fine; now this problem.

Kathy G on 10/19/02 at 09:48 (097877)

Peg,

My Achilles Tendonitis was an actual pain in my tendon and a tightness. I never noticed any popping. I would check with a doctor, if I were you, just to get a definitive diagnosis. In my case, the tilt board and Julie's stretches helped me. I never put any ice on the area, nor did I use heat. I would think heat would help because it would help to ease the tightness but I would really be guessing. I'd check with a doctor before doing anything except maybe gentle stretching.

Good luck!

pala on 10/19/02 at 10:41 (097885)

what is a tilt board?

Kathy G on 10/19/02 at 12:20 (097891)

Hi Pala,

It's mentioned in the Heel Pain Book in the section on stretching. You can make one yourself using a board and some bricks or you can make one out of wood, which is what my husband did for me. Scott has a very good description and even drawings to demonstrate how it's used. I could never do as good a job, so just go there and you'll find it. For me, it has been a lifesafer. The wall stretches, which is what Physical Therapy recommended, I found to be very hard on my knees, which have never caused me and problem. Then, when I found this site, I discovered how many people had had poor results with them.

Peg on 10/21/02 at 10:36 (098026)

Thanks Kathy. Now I wonder because I don't have pain or tightness, just a cracking sound when I flex my foot -- and walk down stairs. But I remember always having that cracking sound -- before my foot problem. But no pain when I walk. Sometimes a bit of an ache in my calf if I flex too much and it continues to crack. It's strange. I'm tired of feet problems. My neuroma/metatarsalgia is doing fine; now this problem.