Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What's this weird pain??

Posted by Necee on 10/17/02 at 11:25 (097739)

I have noticed that the bottoms of my toes where they connect to the ball of my feet are very sore and go numb sometimes.
Do any of you experience the same thing? I thought it might be a nerve problem, any suggestions?

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: I don't know

Carole C in NOLA on 10/17/02 at 22:06 (097781)

Necee, I haven't had that happen (yet). I know that you've had PF a long time. If it just started happening recently then that would be a clue that it might be from something that you've changed.

Are you wearing different shoes that might put more pressure on the front of your foot than the back? New orthotics?

Have your activities change in some way that could affect this part of your foot? Are you trying a new stretching routine, maybe, or putting more things up high on shelves during the day? I hope it is not something hard to treat.

Carole C

Necee on 10/19/02 at 00:44 (097854)

Thanks for the response Carole.
I really don't think that it's anything I have done, I wear my Birks to work, and don't have new orthotics.
I was just wondering if there was a name for this condition. Sometimes my toes are very sore and tender when I rub them, this just started about 3 weeks ago. I love my Birks, but.....I think the soles might be too hard for me, I'm wanting to change shoes, but then again I'm afraid to.

Happy trails......

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 10/19/02 at 09:12 (097867)

Maybe your feet are telling you that it's time for a change. (?)

Carole C

Re: What's this weird pain??

Ellen J. on 10/19/02 at 09:47 (097876)

Hi,
Maybe trying new shoes would be a good idea, and I can understand why you would be afraid to, since a new pair could make things worse. One way that I try new shoes is to put a pair on, walk in them a bit while in the store, then I go home and see if my feet are at all sore the next day. If not, I then go back and buy them. You might try Naot shoes, which look like Birks but have a soft footbed. Also, someone mentioned that Birk makes a soft footbed version. Possibly the footbeds in your shoes are too hard and are causing pinched nerves?
Just a thought,
Ellen J.

Julie on 10/19/02 at 14:48 (097910)

Might thick socks help? (Just don't tell John: he doesn't approve of socks with sandals.)

Ellen J. on 10/19/02 at 17:47 (097925)

I love socks with sandals, but then again, I'm in Vermont, USA so I guess it's more appropriate here than in Atlanta, GA, for instance. We are usually pretty casual up here in the country.
Ellen

john h on 10/20/02 at 10:56 (097957)

Julie:The fashion police that I am I must state that socks with sandals is fully acceptable in long pants,slacks, or a calf lenght dress or longer. It is only with shorts (bermuda or otherwise) that the fashion police become disturbed. Living in Egnland I know that long socks with shorts must be acceptable because in all the old war movies in India the British soldiers had their beumdas with long socks on. When I was in high school one of the swanky boys school near where I lived (Lake Forest, Il) had a formal dance and many of the lads wore the traditional black tux only with black bermuuda length shorts. It never did catch on than heavens. The latest fashion in ladies shoes as I see on TV looks like shoes for storm troopers or from another century.

Re: Sandals with socks, and trends in ladies' shoes

Carole C in NOLA on 10/20/02 at 12:13 (097967)

John,

I had a hard time getting used to seeing my sweet feminine rainbows-and-pink daughter wearing 'Dr. Martens' boots with her school clothes back in the early 90's. To me they look like combat boots and I felt like you do about such footwear. But I had put my foot down hard about low cut blouses and peek-a-boo belly buttons, so I let her win this one. She never did figure out how gross they looked.

One trend in ladies' shoes in the past few years that I REALLY like is the acceptability of tie-up shoes that are inspired by men's dress shoes but made for a woman's foot. They have a lot bigger toe box than the pumps of the 50's and 60's and feel so much better on my feet than pointy-toe shoes did. Gosh, this thread is reminiscent of the winklepicker thread that we had a while back. :)

As for socks with sandals, unless someone is on a beach with sand, going swimming, or very hot I don't see a problem with them during the interval between perhaps April 1st and October 1st. I did really hate wearing sandals and socks in the winter, because I felt like sandals are for summer and people might think I was too dingy to realize that it wasn't summer.

Carole C

Re: I get that in my little toe area...

Mahatmelissama on 10/21/02 at 10:43 (098027)

I had this problem WAAAAY before PF struck...and would have to take off sneakers in highschool.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/17/02 at 22:06 (097781)

Necee, I haven't had that happen (yet). I know that you've had PF a long time. If it just started happening recently then that would be a clue that it might be from something that you've changed.

Are you wearing different shoes that might put more pressure on the front of your foot than the back? New orthotics?

Have your activities change in some way that could affect this part of your foot? Are you trying a new stretching routine, maybe, or putting more things up high on shelves during the day? I hope it is not something hard to treat.

Carole C

Necee on 10/19/02 at 00:44 (097854)

Thanks for the response Carole.
I really don't think that it's anything I have done, I wear my Birks to work, and don't have new orthotics.
I was just wondering if there was a name for this condition. Sometimes my toes are very sore and tender when I rub them, this just started about 3 weeks ago. I love my Birks, but.....I think the soles might be too hard for me, I'm wanting to change shoes, but then again I'm afraid to.

Happy trails......

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 10/19/02 at 09:12 (097867)

Maybe your feet are telling you that it's time for a change. (?)

Carole C

Ellen J. on 10/19/02 at 09:47 (097876)

Hi,
Maybe trying new shoes would be a good idea, and I can understand why you would be afraid to, since a new pair could make things worse. One way that I try new shoes is to put a pair on, walk in them a bit while in the store, then I go home and see if my feet are at all sore the next day. If not, I then go back and buy them. You might try Naot shoes, which look like Birks but have a soft footbed. Also, someone mentioned that Birk makes a soft footbed version. Possibly the footbeds in your shoes are too hard and are causing pinched nerves?
Just a thought,
Ellen J.

Julie on 10/19/02 at 14:48 (097910)

Might thick socks help? (Just don't tell John: he doesn't approve of socks with sandals.)

Ellen J. on 10/19/02 at 17:47 (097925)

I love socks with sandals, but then again, I'm in Vermont, USA so I guess it's more appropriate here than in Atlanta, GA, for instance. We are usually pretty casual up here in the country.
Ellen

john h on 10/20/02 at 10:56 (097957)

Julie:The fashion police that I am I must state that socks with sandals is fully acceptable in long pants,slacks, or a calf lenght dress or longer. It is only with shorts (bermuda or otherwise) that the fashion police become disturbed. Living in Egnland I know that long socks with shorts must be acceptable because in all the old war movies in India the British soldiers had their beumdas with long socks on. When I was in high school one of the swanky boys school near where I lived (Lake Forest, Il) had a formal dance and many of the lads wore the traditional black tux only with black bermuuda length shorts. It never did catch on than heavens. The latest fashion in ladies shoes as I see on TV looks like shoes for storm troopers or from another century.

Re: Sandals with socks, and trends in ladies' shoes

Carole C in NOLA on 10/20/02 at 12:13 (097967)

John,

I had a hard time getting used to seeing my sweet feminine rainbows-and-pink daughter wearing 'Dr. Martens' boots with her school clothes back in the early 90's. To me they look like combat boots and I felt like you do about such footwear. But I had put my foot down hard about low cut blouses and peek-a-boo belly buttons, so I let her win this one. She never did figure out how gross they looked.

One trend in ladies' shoes in the past few years that I REALLY like is the acceptability of tie-up shoes that are inspired by men's dress shoes but made for a woman's foot. They have a lot bigger toe box than the pumps of the 50's and 60's and feel so much better on my feet than pointy-toe shoes did. Gosh, this thread is reminiscent of the winklepicker thread that we had a while back. :)

As for socks with sandals, unless someone is on a beach with sand, going swimming, or very hot I don't see a problem with them during the interval between perhaps April 1st and October 1st. I did really hate wearing sandals and socks in the winter, because I felt like sandals are for summer and people might think I was too dingy to realize that it wasn't summer.

Carole C

Re: I get that in my little toe area...

Mahatmelissama on 10/21/02 at 10:43 (098027)

I had this problem WAAAAY before PF struck...and would have to take off sneakers in highschool.