Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

chronic PAIN management-- and for Henry C

Posted by alan k on 10/17/02 at 11:53 (097740)

Dear Henry C, and others with chronic pain

I am an old timer here and saw Henry C's urgent message so I thought I would post even though I have not been here for some time. I had pf and tts for a couple years but now I am %90 better. However, I have cervical spondylosis now, and chronic pain from the nerve compression in my neck, which is why I wanted to post about nerve pain management.

I have two specific recommendations that will definitely work and have an effect. The effect will be 'some' or 'lots' depending on many factors, but you will definitely get better some.

First, pain is a phenomenon of the mind, even though the body can oftentimes cause it. By practicing pain control meditation techniques, you can signifcantly increase your comfort. IF you would like to try, I can give you an effective pain control cd to follow, though I am not sure how I would send it to you without our divulging personal info, which is probably not a good idea. Unfortunately it can't be bought online or in stores. It will definitely help you or anyone's ability to deal with chronic pain, both the amount of sensation and the general feeling in life. Maybe I could get a p.o box, if it doesn't cost much.

Second, you might look into D-phenylalinine, which is available online at several places, at somewhat varying prices. D-phen is a synthetic 'twin' of l-phen, a naturally occuring amino acid. D-phen reduces the action of enzymes which break down naturally occuring endorphins. In other words, your natural endorphins stay in your system, building up over time. Continued use of d-phen builds up your 'natural morphine' supply (endorphins are the 'runner's high' stuff you may have heard about.) It has taken the edge off of a chronic pain that I have. It does not cause dependancy and is said to have 'reverse tolerance' i.e. the more you use it, the less you need, because the endorphins build up over time. Personally, I question whether the body does not respond by producing less endorphins, but this is just hypothetical and not indicated by the scientific theory. It is little studied, however, and no studies that I know of have been made of long term use, including complications. You could ask your physician what she thinks about trying D-phenylalinine.

D-phenylalinine is also available in healthfood stores, but usually only paired with l-phen, as DL phenylalinine, or 'DLPA.' The l-phen will compete with the D-phen for absorption (take only on empty stomach and avoid protein after), and has other effects which some people find beneficial, such as with depression. L-phen (and possibly D-phen) can be fatal for people with an allergy to phens and tyramine, but you already know you have this rare allergy if you are allergic to cheese, etc. Also, l-phenylalinine (and possibly d-phenylaline) should not be taken with MAO inhibitors, which are part of some depression and psychotherapuetic drug treatments. If you are not sure if any medication you are using is an 'MAO inhibitor' you should ask your prescriber.

Third, in reading Henry C's post I did not get a sense of any reason why not to get the implant. Is there a high risk of infection or complications? Are you paying out of pocket? Of course I wouldn't give you medical advice but you should weigh the downside-- is there one?

Best wishes, alan k

ps Hi everyone!

Re: chronic PAIN management-- and for Henry C

nancy s. on 10/17/02 at 15:19 (097755)

hi, alan! wow, what a surprise to see your name. i'm very happy your feet are so much better ... and sorry that you're dealing with cervical spondylosis.

are you writing from thailand or from my alma mater?

really nice to 'hear' from you.

nancy

alan k on 10/17/02 at 17:28 (097768)

Hi Nancy!

I am actually in California now, having left your alma matter for browner pastures. Theravada Buddhism, which is my tradition, is stronger out here, though the most excellent Zen Center is back out east there.

I do have cervical spondylosis but I have learned to deal with it, and have learned a lot from it. At first it took away work (not being able to sit long at a computer) and sitting meditation as well, but now I am making alot of progress and really have learned a lot about pain and have liberated myself from the worst of it.

cheers, alan k

Re: Alan k

wendyn on 10/17/02 at 20:29 (097775)

Alan - nice to 'see' you again!

Laurie R on 10/20/02 at 22:32 (097996)

Hi Alan , so nice to see your name on the board..... Which part of CA are you in now ? I am close to San Francisco ..... Laurie R

nancy s. on 10/17/02 at 15:19 (097755)

hi, alan! wow, what a surprise to see your name. i'm very happy your feet are so much better ... and sorry that you're dealing with cervical spondylosis.

are you writing from thailand or from my alma mater?

really nice to 'hear' from you.

nancy

alan k on 10/17/02 at 17:28 (097768)

Hi Nancy!

I am actually in California now, having left your alma matter for browner pastures. Theravada Buddhism, which is my tradition, is stronger out here, though the most excellent Zen Center is back out east there.

I do have cervical spondylosis but I have learned to deal with it, and have learned a lot from it. At first it took away work (not being able to sit long at a computer) and sitting meditation as well, but now I am making alot of progress and really have learned a lot about pain and have liberated myself from the worst of it.

cheers, alan k

Re: Alan k

wendyn on 10/17/02 at 20:29 (097775)

Alan - nice to 'see' you again!

Laurie R on 10/20/02 at 22:32 (097996)

Hi Alan , so nice to see your name on the board..... Which part of CA are you in now ? I am close to San Francisco ..... Laurie R