Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

UK - ESWT

Posted by Christopher Dix on 10/18/02 at 05:17 (097793)

I need to find a clinic/practice in the UK that offers ESWT - do you know of any?

Re: UK - ESWT

Yasmin from London on 10/18/02 at 11:37 (097811)

Hi

Theres a clinic in Chicester that offers ESWT.

http://www.ovingclinic.co.uk

Their price seems okay. Hope they can hep you.

Yasmin

Pete on 10/19/02 at 09:57 (097879)

Hi, I'm from Birmingham. Had ESWT at Citisport, Epsom with a guy called John Reynolds via Evatron machine. He was cheaper than the Oving Clinc, £250 if I remember correctly.However, Oving do use the more powerful Reflectron machine with ultrasound so that may be the way to go.

Good luck. If you find anywhere else let me know, I may yet have a second treatment. First one did nothing but then again pf may not be my diagnosis.

Yasmin from London on 10/28/02 at 17:43 (098509)

Hi Pete,

There is another place in St Johns Wood, London at the St John and Elizabeth hospital, they have a website also Julie pointed another one out, on the 'Treatments' message board. Maybe you should consider further imagaing?

Yasmin

Christopher Dix on 10/29/02 at 04:09 (098529)

Many thanks Yasmin.

john h on 10/29/02 at 09:18 (098546)

Yasmin: You guys in the UK are so close to Europe where in Germany ESWT began. I would bet they have some of the more knowledgable treatment centers in the world. Maybe it cost more than I realize to travel from London to Germany but I would sure look on the web and check out some of those ESWT centers.

Julie on 10/29/02 at 16:58 (098597)

John, there are plenty of cheap flights from UK airports to cities in Germany. I would say that's a good idea. It might of course involve repeated trips if more than one treatment was necessary.

What I want to know is why ESWT treatment is so expensive in the States if practitioners here can offer it for ?250 (around $400).

Culture of litigation? Or what?

john h on 10/29/02 at 21:43 (098624)

Julie: I am sure one of the major reasons for the high cost of ESWT in the USA is insurance and the very large insurance awards in our country. Add to this our FDA procedures which are long and expensive but not necessarily better than similar agencies in other countries. It seems ludicrous that very similar machines have to go though million dollar trials by the FDA when the same machines have been used in Europe,Canada,Australia,Mexico, and most of the remainder of the world for years. You must get a sense of our difficulities when you see a post by Bill with threats that some of our Doctors are advertising ESWT machines and could/will be prosecuted. I hope my tax money is not going to pay this guys salary. Congress is trying to get a grip on our out of control FDA and it's long and ponderous process. We have people who are dying while the FDA will not appove a drug just for there use which has the possibility of offering hope to these people. We of course need an FDA but it in my mind has become a beauracratic jungle and needs some new guidelines..

Julie on 10/30/02 at 02:18 (098644)

Thanks John. To coin a phrase, it sucks, doesn't it?

Yasmin from London on 10/18/02 at 11:37 (097811)

Hi

Theres a clinic in Chicester that offers ESWT.

http://www.ovingclinic.co.uk

Their price seems okay. Hope they can hep you.

Yasmin

Pete on 10/19/02 at 09:57 (097879)

Hi, I'm from Birmingham. Had ESWT at Citisport, Epsom with a guy called John Reynolds via Evatron machine. He was cheaper than the Oving Clinc, £250 if I remember correctly.However, Oving do use the more powerful Reflectron machine with ultrasound so that may be the way to go.

Good luck. If you find anywhere else let me know, I may yet have a second treatment. First one did nothing but then again pf may not be my diagnosis.

Yasmin from London on 10/28/02 at 17:43 (098509)

Hi Pete,

There is another place in St Johns Wood, London at the St John and Elizabeth hospital, they have a website also Julie pointed another one out, on the 'Treatments' message board. Maybe you should consider further imagaing?

Yasmin

Christopher Dix on 10/29/02 at 04:09 (098529)

Many thanks Yasmin.

john h on 10/29/02 at 09:18 (098546)

Yasmin: You guys in the UK are so close to Europe where in Germany ESWT began. I would bet they have some of the more knowledgable treatment centers in the world. Maybe it cost more than I realize to travel from London to Germany but I would sure look on the web and check out some of those ESWT centers.

Julie on 10/29/02 at 16:58 (098597)

John, there are plenty of cheap flights from UK airports to cities in Germany. I would say that's a good idea. It might of course involve repeated trips if more than one treatment was necessary.

What I want to know is why ESWT treatment is so expensive in the States if practitioners here can offer it for ?250 (around $400).

Culture of litigation? Or what?

john h on 10/29/02 at 21:43 (098624)

Julie: I am sure one of the major reasons for the high cost of ESWT in the USA is insurance and the very large insurance awards in our country. Add to this our FDA procedures which are long and expensive but not necessarily better than similar agencies in other countries. It seems ludicrous that very similar machines have to go though million dollar trials by the FDA when the same machines have been used in Europe,Canada,Australia,Mexico, and most of the remainder of the world for years. You must get a sense of our difficulities when you see a post by Bill with threats that some of our Doctors are advertising ESWT machines and could/will be prosecuted. I hope my tax money is not going to pay this guys salary. Congress is trying to get a grip on our out of control FDA and it's long and ponderous process. We have people who are dying while the FDA will not appove a drug just for there use which has the possibility of offering hope to these people. We of course need an FDA but it in my mind has become a beauracratic jungle and needs some new guidelines..

Julie on 10/30/02 at 02:18 (098644)

Thanks John. To coin a phrase, it sucks, doesn't it?