Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Baxter Surgery Update

Posted by BrianJ on 10/18/02 at 12:50 (097814)

It has now been one month since my nerve decompression surgery (left foot only) by Dr. Baxter. I used crutches until the two week mark, and then began gradual weight bearing. The stitches have been removed and the incision is healing up nicely. I still have some pain and swelling at the surgical site, which is expected because the average healing time for this surgery is 3.2 months. I can walk around the house (somewhat gingerly), but the pain is still greater than it was before the surgery.

Bottom line: I can't yet tell whether the surgery has helped me, but I will report back again one month from now.

Re: Baxter Surgery Update

kay on 10/18/02 at 15:48 (097823)

brian can you explain exactly what the baxter surgery is?
thanks
kay

BrianJ on 10/18/02 at 17:59 (097833)

Dr. Baxter, as well as some other doctors, believe heel pain is sometimes caused by swollen tissue pressing up against a nerve in your heel (known as the first branch of the lateral plantar nerve). The surgery involves cutting into the medial side of the heel and excising tissue around the nerve to make sure nothing is pressing on the nerve. As part of this procedure, a small wedge of the plantar fascia is removed where it passes directly over the nerve.

Some doctors claim this procedure has been very successful in treating chronic heel pain, while others doctors simply do not buy Baxter's theories.

You can do a search on 'Baxter,' 'nerve entrapment' or 'Baxter's neuritis' to learn more.

Pauline on 10/20/02 at 08:34 (097952)

How many doctors do you think are capable of performing the 'Baxter' surgery or any P.F. release surgery without damage to any nerves in the area they are working? How much pushing, touching, feeling, excising of tissue, or any procedure can a nerve withstand before it's danaged in some way?

BrianJ on 10/20/02 at 15:58 (097976)

The decision to have surgery carries with it certain risks. So does the decision NOT to have surgery. Patients should educate themselves thorougly and seek second (and perhaps third) opinions.

BrianG on 10/20/02 at 22:37 (097997)

Ouch, no wonder you still have pain. That sounds like it was a pretty traumatic procedure! Especially the removal of part of the fascia. I hope you are in a positon to rest you foot as much as possible. Hopeully the doctor won't have you weight bearing too soon.

In my case, after the EPF, the doctor had me weight bearing right away. I do believe that it contributed to getting PF in my good foot. It hurt so much to walk on the surgical heel, I'm sure I favored it, causing extra stress to my good foot, followed by PF in it. So, take it easy, and slowly get back to walking on the sore heel.

Good luck
BrianG

Sheila W on 10/21/02 at 18:25 (098042)

Brian,
I had Baxter surgery in Apr 2001, it was the best thing i ever did for my foot. I was on crutches for 2 weeks then went to a cam walker for about a month. I had pf in my left foot for 4 years and had tried all of the conservative treatments (cortisone, icing, stretching, physical therapy, taping, soft and hard casts) with no results. Except for a few times when I overdid it in the cam walker, the pain was way worse before the surgery. It was hard walking in the cam walker for a few days after getting off the crutches. It just slowly got better. At 3 months, I was a lot better. At 6 months I was mostly pain free, but couldn't do anything that pounded on my foot. It took a year before it was really back to normal. I think that if you take it really easy and baby your foot, it will get better. Good luck with your recovery.

BrianJ on 10/21/02 at 21:18 (098051)

Sheila --

Thanks for your post. It's nice to hear from someone who had a positive surgical result!

DJ on 10/24/02 at 10:37 (098228)

Hi Brian,

I'm contemplating having a nerve decompression done by Dr. Baxter. The problem is I don't live anywhere near Texas. My question for you is how often do you have to go back to Dr. Baxter for check-ups after your procedure? I obviously would love to have the operation done by the more experienced doctor but if multiple check-ups after surgery are necessary than I will have to have it done closer to home.

BrianJ on 10/24/02 at 11:15 (098230)

Dr. Baxter's office told me he likes to see the patient once after surgery, at the two-week mark, to remove the stitches. This is the only postsurgery visit that is necessary. Of course, any surgeon or experienced nurse can remove stitches, so I don't know that even one postsurgery visit is mandatory.

kay on 10/18/02 at 15:48 (097823)

brian can you explain exactly what the baxter surgery is?
thanks
kay

BrianJ on 10/18/02 at 17:59 (097833)

Dr. Baxter, as well as some other doctors, believe heel pain is sometimes caused by swollen tissue pressing up against a nerve in your heel (known as the first branch of the lateral plantar nerve). The surgery involves cutting into the medial side of the heel and excising tissue around the nerve to make sure nothing is pressing on the nerve. As part of this procedure, a small wedge of the plantar fascia is removed where it passes directly over the nerve.

Some doctors claim this procedure has been very successful in treating chronic heel pain, while others doctors simply do not buy Baxter's theories.

You can do a search on 'Baxter,' 'nerve entrapment' or 'Baxter's neuritis' to learn more.

Pauline on 10/20/02 at 08:34 (097952)

How many doctors do you think are capable of performing the 'Baxter' surgery or any P.F. release surgery without damage to any nerves in the area they are working? How much pushing, touching, feeling, excising of tissue, or any procedure can a nerve withstand before it's danaged in some way?

BrianJ on 10/20/02 at 15:58 (097976)

The decision to have surgery carries with it certain risks. So does the decision NOT to have surgery. Patients should educate themselves thorougly and seek second (and perhaps third) opinions.

BrianG on 10/20/02 at 22:37 (097997)

Ouch, no wonder you still have pain. That sounds like it was a pretty traumatic procedure! Especially the removal of part of the fascia. I hope you are in a positon to rest you foot as much as possible. Hopeully the doctor won't have you weight bearing too soon.

In my case, after the EPF, the doctor had me weight bearing right away. I do believe that it contributed to getting PF in my good foot. It hurt so much to walk on the surgical heel, I'm sure I favored it, causing extra stress to my good foot, followed by PF in it. So, take it easy, and slowly get back to walking on the sore heel.

Good luck
BrianG

Sheila W on 10/21/02 at 18:25 (098042)

Brian,
I had Baxter surgery in Apr 2001, it was the best thing i ever did for my foot. I was on crutches for 2 weeks then went to a cam walker for about a month. I had pf in my left foot for 4 years and had tried all of the conservative treatments (cortisone, icing, stretching, physical therapy, taping, soft and hard casts) with no results. Except for a few times when I overdid it in the cam walker, the pain was way worse before the surgery. It was hard walking in the cam walker for a few days after getting off the crutches. It just slowly got better. At 3 months, I was a lot better. At 6 months I was mostly pain free, but couldn't do anything that pounded on my foot. It took a year before it was really back to normal. I think that if you take it really easy and baby your foot, it will get better. Good luck with your recovery.

BrianJ on 10/21/02 at 21:18 (098051)

Sheila --

Thanks for your post. It's nice to hear from someone who had a positive surgical result!

DJ on 10/24/02 at 10:37 (098228)

Hi Brian,

I'm contemplating having a nerve decompression done by Dr. Baxter. The problem is I don't live anywhere near Texas. My question for you is how often do you have to go back to Dr. Baxter for check-ups after your procedure? I obviously would love to have the operation done by the more experienced doctor but if multiple check-ups after surgery are necessary than I will have to have it done closer to home.

BrianJ on 10/24/02 at 11:15 (098230)

Dr. Baxter's office told me he likes to see the patient once after surgery, at the two-week mark, to remove the stitches. This is the only postsurgery visit that is necessary. Of course, any surgeon or experienced nurse can remove stitches, so I don't know that even one postsurgery visit is mandatory.