Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Accessory Navicular bone

Posted by Denis Underkoffler on 10/18/02 at 16:12 (097828)

My 16 year old daughter has been running cross country and track for 3 years and has experienced a great deal of ankle pain. After several visits to different doctors, a course of physical therapy and orthotics, we were finally told that she has posterior tibial tendonitis caused by an accessory navicular bone. This latest doctor basically said there is nothing to be done. She walks comfortably but cannot run without pain He basically told her to find a sport that does not involve running. He also added that orthotics would be useless (we already tried this to no avail). Surgery was discouraged. The doctor did state that running will be painful, but will not inflict any other damage aside from pain. No other advice or possible relief was offered. Anything else we can consider or is it time for my daughter to give up running? Thanks.

Re: Accessory Navicular bone

Richard, C.Ped on 10/21/02 at 08:43 (098015)

Honestly, I have seen quite a few people with that same type of diagnosis. Orthotics have worked wonders with them. I wonder why the orthotics did not work for her. Were they custom made?
Richard, C.Ped

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/21/02 at 22:24 (098056)

Orthotics often work for this problem so I would take a look at how the orthotics were made as suggested by Richard, C.Ped.

If orthotics don't work then the Kidner procedure is a very successful means of solving this problem. That procedure is cetainly not foolproof but I have never had a patient involved in sports in my 21 years of practice that did not return to their activity after the Kidner procedure.

The Kidner procedure involves removing the accessory navicular bone and advancing the portion of the posterior tibial tendon that attached to the accessory bone to the main body of the navicular.

It sounds like your doctor is not well informed about this area. Where do you live -- perhaps I know a doc in your area who could help?
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 10/21/02 at 08:43 (098015)

Honestly, I have seen quite a few people with that same type of diagnosis. Orthotics have worked wonders with them. I wonder why the orthotics did not work for her. Were they custom made?
Richard, C.Ped

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/21/02 at 22:24 (098056)

Orthotics often work for this problem so I would take a look at how the orthotics were made as suggested by Richard, C.Ped.

If orthotics don't work then the Kidner procedure is a very successful means of solving this problem. That procedure is cetainly not foolproof but I have never had a patient involved in sports in my 21 years of practice that did not return to their activity after the Kidner procedure.

The Kidner procedure involves removing the accessory navicular bone and advancing the portion of the posterior tibial tendon that attached to the accessory bone to the main body of the navicular.

It sounds like your doctor is not well informed about this area. Where do you live -- perhaps I know a doc in your area who could help?
Ed